Am I the only one prognosticating a blowout?

plyka

Reaction score
I think that the Hawks will BLOW OUT the Rams this weekend. And yet we still have a horrible OC who makes horrible calls, lol.

The reasons?

1) The main one is that I believe Bevell is horrible at making adjustments. At least in game adjustments when the pressure is on. However, 75% of the fans on this board know what our issues were during the Arizona game. How can an OC in the NFL not know what 75% of fans know? We have had these issues before --ie horrible play calling --and they were fixed by the next game. The worst play calling affair of the season was the 1st Rams game. This was followed by adjustments made in the Bucs game --Seattle got off to a slow start, but starting late in the 2nd quarter started an all out blitzkrieg on the Bucs. A great game was called, which was followed by the Saints game --perhaps the best play calling of the Pete Caroll / Bevell era. The Saints game was beautiful to watch. So now we have an atrocious playcalling affair by Bevell against a good defense in Arizona (at home). I expect him to make the necessary adjustments for this upcoming game --namely to be less predictable, use the entire field, notice that the defense is attempting to play you for deep routes so take advantage of the shorter/intermediate stuff, etc.

2) The Rams are one dimensional. They have great pass rushers, but the Hawks were without Okung/Breno/Unger. Now they have everyone back, with Bowie playing excellent. This means that the major tool of the Rams will not have as much of an affect on the Hawks offense. They do not have the secondary to shut down the Seahawks. It was their pass rush and the destruction it brought which stopped the Hawks in the first game.

3) The Rams are not world beaters on offense. We are talking about a backup QB coming into the Clink. Good luck to you Clemens. We are talking about Zack Stacy coming into the Clink. Good luck Stacy. Let's face it, you are what you are, and the Rams are a losing team. The Seahawks have lost 1 game in 2 years at the CLINK!

4) Vegas is typically right in their odds. It's not set by them specifically, it's set by the market, so i should say the market is typically right. The odds are still +10 for the Hawks, despite what happened last week. I don't see the market being so wrong twice in a row.

All that said, a blowout of the Rams doesn't fix our issues. Our problems are Bevell/Pete not being flexible enough to make in game adjustments. Take what the defense is giving you. Don't say "we will play our game and our system regardless." If the defense is stacking the box and playing a soft man to man on your WRs (as Arizona did), then take advantage of the short and intermediate stuff, especially to your TEs or backs coming out of the backfield. Have your WRs clear out an area by running crossing routes then flood the zone with your TE/RB, etc. I think the coaching staff is too stuck in their ways and refuse to be flexible, at least on the offensive side of the ball.

Seeker

Reaction score
I feel like DB sometimes doesn't really believe in who we are.

This could be the fact that he has too many weapons at times. I can kind of understand it. if It is first down and I get 4 yards with beast, then another 3, do I wanna go run again on 3rd and 3 or do I wanna let Russell make stuff up?

its just like he plays against himself sometimes. there was a running drive in which lynch almost took over BY HIMSELF and DB pulled back and stalled the drive with some wacky play on 3rd and like 1 in the first half. another punt.

Boiler

Reaction score
My heart is with you. My head agrees. My gut says this game will be another struggle, but that could just be the product of 30+ years of disappointment.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I don't think the OP is Out of Bounds on this.

I think the Seahawks will score 24+

I don't think the Rams score more than 10 points vs our #1 Defense.

The one constant coming out of our bye week has been a focus of elite defensive effort holding opponents to 7, 19, 0, and 17 points.

In the games vs SF (19) and ARI (17). In both games both opposing offenses were able to extend drives and put points on the board with the help of some questionable flags. Both teams had fumbles that should haved been overruled or been reviewable. Both teams had players (SFO, Gore,) (ARI, Floyd) make incredible plays, with extraordinary efforts to lead their teams to the deciding go ahead scores. Even though Gore's 51 yard run happened because Sherman was blatantly held and he couldn't defend his zone contain, the area Gore made his beautiful cutback into. So other than a few drives,and a few big plays, the Seahawks Defense has been absolutely nasty and have been at their best when opposing offenses enter the RZ.

In their last 4 games, the Seahawks D has allowed only 10.75 points per game. And that number could be much smaller without a number of drive extending penalties.

So it bring us to the Rams. And I just don't think their offense w/o Austin (possibly) and Jake Long imo isn't going to be better than NO, SFO, NYG, and ARI. Zac Stacy isn't going to catch Seattle off-guard again as Seattle now has plenty of tape on him (plus a chip on their shoulder) as well as tape on Clemons they didn't have before unless you count his spot starts in years past.

Which bring us to the Seahawks offense, I don't think Bevell is too incompetent to continue to be rather predictable. No, I don't think he's going to dial up another all in game plan like he did vs the Saints but I think he mixes it up more, adjusts to what the Rams are giving up, and allow the offense to control the ball and dictate the game with a more higher completion passing game. And 2ndly I don't think Wilson will continue to put up poor passer rating in comparison to his prior body of work. He's just too good not to get himself out of this passing funk he's in. This a good of time as any to put up a great effort against a defense that has had the Seahawks number the last two years. I think he does.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":2g47lqe8 said:
Whenever I read posts like this, or my friends start talking blowout or that the hawks will win for sure this next game, I go into my routine.

I talk about all the deficiencies in the club, I point out the mess at offensive line, and how Quinn might possibly break Derrick Thomas's single game sack record this weekend.

How the Seahawks will lose this last game, the division, and then get bumped in the 2nd road playoff game. Then I go on a long diatribe offering just enough proof to plant the seed of doubt.

Afterwards, when my friends are in a near state of catatonic gloom and doom, I remind them -- that what I said is just as much bullshit as predicting that the Seahawks are the best thIing since sliced bread and that they will blow out the next team by whatever. It's all hysterical conjecture, one might feel confident in a win, but predicting blowouts... meh, I think it tempts the football gods, so I feel I must counterbalance the cosmic karma that other silly Seahawk fans are creating.

Not that I actually believe in cosmic karma, or football gods... but definitely the last thing I ever want to read or see about my team in an upcoming contest, especially an important one, is fans predicting blowouts.
My feelings exactly. Literally, my thoughts.

gulliver

Reaction score
I'm not banking on ANY of this at this point. Why? Because this time last week we were hearing about how the Cards were a paper tiger because their last 7 games were against chumps and they had just padded their stats to become a dominant D. STL's D pretty much had their way with us last time round, and that's when we were thought to be unbeatable. Coming off a loss at home, I expect redoubled effort.

That said, while I know this idea makes some angry, I fully believe Bevell thought we were good enough to sandbag our way into the playoffs before whipping out the kitchen sink, and now that there is something riding on this one, I expect him to show more of it. If we can't take this game, I give us minimal chance of making the SB.

OP
OP
plyka

plyka

Reaction score
gulliver":23o4bag0 said:
I'm not banking on ANY of this at this point. Why? Because this time last week we were hearing about how the Cards were a paper tiger because their last 7 games were against chumps and they had just padded their stats to become a dominant D. STL's D pretty much had their way with us last time round, and that's when we were thought to be unbeatable. Coming off a loss at home, I expect redoubled effort.

That said, while I know this idea makes some angry, I fully believe Bevell thought we were good enough to sandbag our way into the playoffs before whipping out the kitchen sink, and now that there is something riding on this one, I expect him to show more of it. If we can't take this game, I give us minimal chance of making the SB.

Your last point is spot on. If the hawks can't get this one and lose the first round bye and home field advantage they really should forfeit their playoff birth to Arizona.

Lucky for us this is a near impossibility. The hawks have two weaknesses and both are coAching related. The first is their stubborn adherence to their system and ideology. The extra conservative, take no chance, punt punt punt, shorten the play clock overall strategy is inflexible and hurts them at times.

The second is the play calling which has some relevance to weakness number one above. What will the hawks do if defenses put 8 against the run and play soft man coverage taking away the deep ball? Well this opens up the short and intermediate game, but that's against their system and ideology. Even their last OC had the thought that you can't dink and dunk for an 80 yard drive. That it's run or long bomb. But if defenses design to take that away the hawks need to adjust.

I think they will come out this game much like the saints game. And my opinion of the rams is not the highest.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
For what it's worth, the Rams have not one a game outdoors this year. Their 2 road wins were in Houston and Indi. For those of you guys who follow what the Vegas thinkers say, I heard on the Cowherd show today that the "sharps" are expecting the Hawks to cover. FYI, last week the sharps were on the Cards.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
when you are the only one, you are either crazy or genius.

Get back to you on Monday with the results.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I don't predict blowout but I like us to cover the spread.:)

1. I believe Arizona was the confluence of some rare things all combining into the perfect storm of suck. Wilson being off, receivers dropping balls, Arizona having an elite defense using an incredibly risky scheme....so on a so forth. That just isn't happening again.
2. Chris Long out.
3. St. Louis having neither Arizona's level of defense or quarterback (such as Palmer is he's far better than Clemons)
4.Arizona desperate.

ariel9302

Reaction score
i predict a comfortable win with one or two drives in the early stages setting the tone for the entire game. the only reason we lost last week was i had to run my stepson to the airport at 2 pm. it threw the whole mojo of the game out of whack. knowing that i had to leave made it seem like less than a Hawks game to clinch a 1 seed and more like an exhibition game. to top it off i live in a san fran market, so the fact that the scarlet and baby crap gold people were playing on mnf made it so that the Seahawks were playing on the local channel here last week. the whole aura of the game was negative vibes all around. this week i'll do everything right at home and get this ship back on course. problem solved, everybody back away from the ledges and get back on the gravy train.

Fitz the Ram

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":1edcslor said:
3. St. Louis having neither Arizona's level of defense or quarterback (such as Palmer is he's far better than Clemons)

I agree Clemens isn't as good as Palmer, anyone who claims otherwise is an idiot. But i doubt Clemens throws 4 int's either...i think that is more a testament of their defense winning the game.

I also agree that Zona's defense is better overall, but not the front 4.

Fitz the Ram

Reaction score
RedAlice":1ouunvfh said:
Jake Long is the Long who is out. He is our RT. Chris Long is on the D.

C. Long was our LT Alice. I'm sure you knew that and was just a mistake, but just saying. And yes, Chris Long is good to go. Hadn't caught what they said about him till you mentioned it so thank you. I saw a Long and thought of Jake first since they said he was out.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Fitz the Ram":2sw90egv said:
KCHawkGirl":2sw90egv said:

I agree Clemens isn't as good as Palmer, anyone who claims otherwise is an idiot. But i doubt Clemens throws 4 int's either...i think that is more a testament of their defense winning the game.

I also agree that Zona's defense is better overall, but not the front 4.
It should be a good game Fitz but I believe we win by 10-14. (14 only because of the Long injury). I am thinking 24-10 currently.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RedAlice":o9abbjb9 said:
Jake Long is the Long who is out. He is our RT. Chris Long is on the D.
Well it hurts your run game. Which works for me because it pretty much gives the same result different means.

Fitz the Ram

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":16lnxchj said:
It should be a good game Fitz but I believe we win by 10-14. (14 only because of the Long injury). I am thinking 24-10 currently.

You very well be right, especially with the game being at the CLink. I agree the Long injury is bad, but Saffold used to play LT for us, and has played good so far in Longs absence. Saffold is a solid LT when is he isn't injured(part of the reason why we have been using him at guard now).

I am hoping the game will be closer, but i have no clue really. Will be routing for my boys, but never easy to think they will win against you guys.