Amazing support, only in Seattle

Ruminator

Reaction score
We've seen thousands lining up in the wee hours of the morning at The Landing to attend training camp, thousands cheer the Seahawk staff and players as they bus from Renton to the airport, and hundreds of thousands brave freezing temperatures to attend the Super Bowl parade nearly 12 months ago. In Super Bowls 48 and 49 we've seen Seahawk fans greatly outnumber the other fans in NY/NJ and Glendale, respectively. And wherever we go as we go about our business in the Pacific Northwest, we see countless numbers of Seahawk-branded gear and paraphernalia. Certainly, the team and corresponding fan support wasn't always good, but that wasn't the fan's fault nor was it the player's fault. It was glaringly the front office's fault -- now a thing of the past.

In a recent article, a well-known sports writer (name irrelevant) noted the staggering size of the miles of crowds lining the streets to cheer the team as they bused to the airport. He wrote that we were "insatiable." When I came across that sentence, the choice of adjectives immediately rubbed me the wrong way. (And others have called us arrogant, overzealous, etc.) We don't turn out in large numbers wearing blue and green to cheer on the team because we're insatiable. We do so because we're extremely supportive of our team and connect with them. We know where they've been -- as a team and as individual human beings. We know what their frustrations and dreams are. We know some of their personal stories. We admire the devotion some of the players have to their respective causes and charities to help ordinary people. We know their personalities, almost as if they're some of our own friends or family members. We know their nicknames and some of their likes and dislikes. We are in awe and reverence of their full and physically demanding commitment to the "I'm in" and "always compete" mindsets. We can't help but be impressed by the special abilities and attributes specific players -- and we are blessed with many -- bring to the game. And we admire the way each and every one of these unique players work together so well as a team -- a huge factor in their current 30-7 record since the beginning of the 2013 season, 31-7 with a win this afternoon in Glendale.

But most importantly, we know our Seahawks right now are so good they're already being regarded by many as one of the best of all time. So to those out there who think we're "insatiable" (and to those who attempted to paint us as fickle by greatly exaggerating the number of fans leaving the Clink early two weeks ago in the NFCC game), kindly excuse our desire to be a part of this historic team and please respect our desire to cheer them on -- even if it appears at times fanatical. Our support for the team right now is spirited and intense. And guess what -- we are keenly interested in witnessing, revering, and being a part of their historic greatness. Excuse us for finding ourselves right in the middle of incredibly exciting times. And for having a tremendous amount of pride in being able to call Russell, Lynch, the LOB, and all the other guys our own.

I consciously burn images of loud and energetic Seahawk fans in my mind, ever thankful the team is here and not in California. (And I'm one of those weird people who enjoy watching You Tube videos of other Seahawk fans cheering and celebrating.) With due respect to Californians, it is highly doubtful their fan support would have ever been able to come anywhere near that which we have. Partly because they would have had a complete disconnect from the rich Seahawk history of the 70s, 80s, and 90s. But mainly because WE. ARE. SEATTLE! This is who we ARE!

Again, I consciously burn images of our kick-ass cheering fans in my mind, and I take pride in the indisputable fact we are as strong and relevant an NFL city as any other. Go 12s! And go Hawks!