Amazing Win (Despite Some Negative Nellies)

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Wow. Probably the best NFL game I have watched all year from start to finish. I threw my remote into some decorative pillows on my couch (I was smart enough to realize the TV was counter-intuitive) early in the game. I cheered multiple times. I paused my DVR when I just couldn't take it. I finally realized, what's the point. My daughter and wife like to watch the game live so it's a losing battle any ways.

So fast forward, it's 24-24 late in OT. My daughter and I was downstairs watching the game like it was the flippin' NFC Championship game. When we made the first kick and the 49ers called that time out all I could think of is, "What if that was his one good shot?" Then he made the second attempt and, well...Bliss.

My phone blew up as it always does after a Seahawks game, win or lose. The one text that bugged me though was the guy who said...

"What an ugly game...All those turnovers, (blah blah blah)"

I was like, are you kidding me right now?!? We just beat a divisional rival, who was the last undefeated team in the NFL IN THEIR HOUSE, and you're bitching about the flaws in the game?!?

For all of you Negative Nellies...Get over yourselves. This was an incredible, wonderful win.

knownone

Reaction score
I'm on both sides of this. It was exciting, I enjoyed watching it, and it was probably the best game from a drama perspective that I've seen since the NFCCG against the Packers.

I do agree with the text though, it was a pretty ugly game. I mean, at one point Seattle gave up a game changing TD on a play where Germain Ifedi recovers a fumble and literally tries to run through 4 defenders before having the ball punched out. On top of that, both teams had some pretty mindbogglingly bad plays on offense, and the referees were so erratic that it was detrimental to the flow of the game.

It was a great game by today's standards. It was pretty ugly from a quality of play perspective when you compare it to games from 5+ years ago.

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
That's the thing about games that turn into defensive battles (despite the relatively high score). A lot of people think defensive football is ugly. I think it's what makes football football. These were two teams whose offenses never took their best shots simply because neither defense would allow it. And oddly, both defenses had chances to end the game, but fell short. But that's why they're defenders rather than RB's an WR's, right?

In the end, it came down to the perfect illustration of why you pay 'game manager' Russell Wilson 35 million dollars a year. He's got that clutch gene that you can't coach. The difference between Wilson and Garopollo at the end of OT was a stark contrast. One guy that looks like he'd rather be anywhere but there, and the other that looks like he'd rather be there than anywhere.

This was a big game and a signature win, despite the blemishes. All anyone needs to know about this one was that the 49er fans were in their seats and LOUD... a rarity at Levi Stadium. They knew how big this one was. And we should, too.

soxhawk

Reaction score
I thought we played a great game, so much so that it could've been a runaway had it not been for some questionable calls.

Anyway, SF has a legit D and we played great, considering. Glad to see our D starting to gel.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I think replay has led us to believe games are called more badly than they were in previous years. Human eyes can only do so much, and it's not like the NFL training for ref's is worse than it used to be. I guarantee you the old refs had just as many blunders. It's just that they couldn't be picked apart by the announcers at 5 different angles all slow mo before the next play is even ran. We aren't going to have consistent games until robots are making the calls. Either that or the announcers just need to back off and let the game be called as it is, less replays.

soxhawk

Reaction score
I think we made so many great plays that were negated by calls that it seemed overdone (like the punt coverage). That's a credit to the team playing lights out.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Why can't it be both an ugly game and exciting, exhausting, exhilarating, etc?

Obviously incredible gritty win and with how well the defense played this changes my opinion on how far I think we can go, but yeah it wasn't the prettiest game I've ever watched with all the fumbles, dropped passes, missed interceptions and penalties.

But that's the beauty of sports, sometimes the beauty lies in that gritty exhausting knock down drag out back and forth effort.

lobohawk

Reaction score
This is supposed to be entertainment and that was delivered. Cruising to easy wins can be fun, but for sheer excitement you need to have it be back 'n forth and come down to the wire.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Aros":1hcr0vxf said:
Wow. Probably the best NFL game I have watched all year from start to finish. I threw my remote into some decorative pillows on my couch (I was smart enough to realize the TV was counter-intuitive) early in the game. I cheered multiple times. I paused my DVR when I just couldn't take it. I finally realized, what's the point. My daughter and wife like to watch the game live so it's a losing battle any ways.

So fast forward, it's 24-24 late in OT. My daughter and I was downstairs watching the game like it was the flippin' NFC Championship game. When we made the first kick and the 49ers called that time out all I could think of is, "What if that was his one good shot?" Then he made the second attempt and, well...Bliss.

My phone blew up as it always does after a Seahawks game, win or lose. The one text that bugged me though was the guy who said...

"What an ugly game...All those turnovers, (blah blah blah)"

I was like, are you kidding me right now?!? We just beat a divisional rival, who was the last undefeated team in the NFL IN THEIR HOUSE, and you're bitching about the flaws in the game?!?

For all of you Negative Nellies...Get over yourselves. This was an incredible, wonderful win.

I definitely saw the ugliness of the game, but when all is said and done, I am thoroughly enjoying this win, and it works out that we can enjoy this one a little longer than usual as we have the entire bye week to relish the fact that we came home from this hard fought battle with the biggest W of the season so far.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Both team had some bad plays, turnovers, mistakes, etc. We came out on top. That’s all that matters.

Go Hawks!

StoneCold

Reaction score
imnKOgnito":oon93mf9 said:
That's the thing about games that turn into defensive battles (despite the relatively high score). A lot of people think defensive football is ugly. I think it's what makes football football. These were two teams whose offenses never took their best shots simply because neither defense would allow it. And oddly, both defenses had chances to end the game, but fell short. But that's why they're defenders rather than RB's an WR's, right?

In the end, it came down to the perfect illustration of why you pay 'game manager' Russell Wilson 35 million dollars a year. He's got that clutch gene that you can't coach. The difference between Wilson and Garopollo at the end of OT was a stark contrast. One guy that looks like he'd rather be anywhere but there, and the other that looks like he'd rather be there than anywhere.

This was a big game and a signature win, despite the blemishes. All anyone needs to know about this one was that the 49er fans were in their seats and LOUD... a rarity at Levi Stadium. They knew how big this one was. And we should, too.

I'm trying to find some footage of Russ's face after the interception. I have a feeling he didn't flicker. Stone cold competitor. Strictly business. Get me the ball, and we're gonna score!

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Watched with the 9ers SO. We're pretty in sync on other things, so it was eerie to see the transcendent winning energy go back and forth between us.

Still feeling that W. Shows us not only what we need to clean up, but also opened a window into how we're going to use our other pieces. Clowney to LEO, let's keep that. Speed Queem getting space, let's keep that too. Ziggy's not the Ansah. Due to his contract, it's disadvantageous to cut him outright but doesn't mean we can't continue to try alternatives.

xray

Reaction score
Sandlot football games are sometimes the most fun to watch . I can't blame the officials because they only see plays in real time and both teams got their share of the calls good or bad . I hear every week that the officials hate the Hawks . From what I see ; they hate everybody equally at the end of the day . The Hawks won didn't they ?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Another BEAUTIFUL Pete Carroll Seahawks FUGLY WIN!! More to come!!

kidhawk

Reaction score
xray":10xspt8h said:
Sandlot football games are sometimes the most fun to watch . I can't blame the officials because they only see plays in real time and both teams got their share of the calls good or bad . I hear every week that the officials hate the Hawks . From what I see ; they hate everybody equally at the end of the day . The Hawks won didn't they ?

For me at least, it's not about hating the Hawks, it's about getting professional officiating and that's just not what the NFL is providing. Bad officiating, no matter which team comes out on the plus side or the negative side needs to be brought under control. They could do this with replay, but instead, they designed a system to protect the officials as much as possible.

If they held officials accountable as much as they hold players, coaches (and likely media) accountable for calling out officiating, we'd get a better product.

Sealake80

Reaction score
I agree it was an amazing win. It's hard for me to enjoy games now that I notice consistently terrible refs.

It was a great close game... but only because of terrible and unbalanced calls.

I still love the Seahawks. But even this great win did feel tainted by an NFL that actually got worse at calling games after XL. Unbelievable in my eyes.

chris98251

Reaction score
The officials have looked worse and worse because players are not able to just play, it's like a bumper car race, any real aggressive anything they throw a flag, or they ignore it and it's a penalty by todays standards, not so much yesterdays.

The eye makes it harder because of the scrutiny, also we have so many angles we see and can pick apart plays, there are several more we don't see for other functions for teams and the league plus officials now as well.

How would you like to be a Dr. performing surgery and have someone interrupt and delay everything going on by questions and or stopping you while they make sure what your doing every step of the way is by the book so to speak, poor person would bleed out that your working on.

They are bleeding out the players and the fans with how they are officiating, get rid of big brother on everything and the Officials may relax and call games, they know everything is under a microscope and so error on the side of caution or blindness.

They will still screw up, but I think relaxed they will end up better, also simplify the rule book, I understand safety, but also understand physics and the game, have the rules about hits to the head and simplify the others. By getting rid of replay when they call a catch a catch or a pick off they will do it more on the spot and not need a conference call, a review, a challenge, another review, league meeting etc.

I watched the games without replay officially, they still had it on the broadcasts and yes we bitched but over all the officiating was better in my opinion.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
I thought the game was very exciting. The Hawks have certainly played enough heart stoppers this year. I could have done without the midnight finish but it's only 1 or 2 games a year that run late. When they're that good, I'll deal with it.

On a side note...
If they would stop officiating from the Play-By-Play booth I think the bad calls would be a lot easier to digest. But the commentators in every game just can't seem to stop questioning calls. Then they replay them to death to prove it.

James in PA

Reaction score
That was was epic. The one thing that truly drove me crazy though (other than the officiating) was the continued “Butterfingers Syndrome” from the Hawks. It’s been a problem all season and was magnified last night. I am so sick and tired of seeing our players get the ball punched out by the other team. I feel like we perfected that back in the early Carroll years and now everyone is doing it to US and succeeding. What’s more, we should have had like 3-4 additional INT’s last night. Sure picks right through our hands. Very, very frustrating. That game shouldn’t have gone to OT. Hawks need to clean it up when it comes to holding onto that ball and coming away with what should be sure picks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk