An odd "proposed trade" from Adam Schefter

HawkFan72

Reaction score
marko358":tdtzbgn6 said:
Cyrus12":tdtzbgn6 said:
Okung for Gronk we need depth at the TE position

Better yet, Okung for Gronk, Brady, and OC Josh McDaniels.

Nah, they can keep Brady. I'm good with Wilson (given his age and the fact he's locked up long-term) if we can get him some line help.

But If you swap out Brady for the Pat's O-line coach I will take it. He has done miracles with their line this season. Seriously, their O-line was in worse shape than ours at the beginning of the year (multiple rookie starters, Solder being lost for the year, etc.), yet their Offense hasn't missed a beat.

Sounds like a deal to me. If JS can't get it done, he's worthless.

Seafan

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":igx73tyz said:
1) The line looked better yesterday without him.
2) His contract is up after this year and we are not paying him.
3) Its not that crazy.

The Hawls looked better for three reasons:

The gameplan
Max protect
RW quick passes

Not because Bailey is better than Okung

Y

OP
OP
marko358

marko358

Reaction score
Seafan":1zb5xfvu said:
ImTheScientist":1zb5xfvu said:
1) The line looked better yesterday without him.
2) His contract is up after this year and we are not paying him.
3) Its not that crazy.

The Hawls looked better for three reasons:

The gameplan
Max protect
RW quick passes

Not because Bailey is better than Okung

Y

Don't forget that Rod Marinelli decided to ignore blitzing for most of the game. You know, the one thing that we typically see every week from our opponents that usually wreaks havoc on our offense.

Rat

Reaction score
Last year's version of this article had us moving Marshawn to the Chargers for a fourth round pick and Branden Oliver. Hopefully, this proposed trade ends up looking as stupid as that one does.

UGotHawked

Reaction score
marko358":3kiq9jkt said:
Cyrus12":3kiq9jkt said:
Okung for Gronk we need depth at the TE position

Better yet, Okung for Gronk, Brady, and OC Josh McDaniels.

Yah I was gonna say they swap OC's. Where is George Costanza when you need him?

massari

Reaction score
Rat":4qdosnjz said:
Last year's version of this article had us moving Marshawn to the Chargers for a fourth round pick and Branden Oliver. Hopefully, this proposed trade ends up looking as stupid as that one does.

I'd trade Beast for a 4th rounder this off season. Unloading that salary and drafting a RB high would be huge. Maybe even sign Morris or Martin as a FA.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":1h95k9dk said:
Let's assume for a minute that trading Okung is something the Seahawks would consider. I don't think it is, but let's just go with it. Isn't a 4th way too low? Schefter mentions they won't be able to resign him, so sure that's a good reason to trade him. Try to get something for him, I get it. But if he goes, the Hawks would get a compensatory pick, right? I'm guessing as a left tackle he's going to net at least a 3rd rounder, right? Do they go higher than 3rd round?

So assuming Schefter is onto something at all, he should probably be a little more realistic on his compensation. I would think it would take at least a 2nd round pick (not even sure the Hawks would even want a 1st, the way they trade them away!).
Yeah, I don't doubt that Schefter is "On Something". :mrgreen:

A

Anonymous

HawkFan72":2k5ajq6q said:
I don't think he thought that one through very well.

Trade our LT, most talented lineman, away for a mid-round pick next year...when we need more O-line help as it is?

You're right Tyler, Okung is talented...

He plays a mean harmonica while waiting for his injuries to heal.

BraveHeartFan

Reaction score
Just a dumb suggestion by Shefter.

Basically he's likely handing the Superbowl to the Patriots again anyway and so he just views this as giving them more fire power to get there.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
firebee":20hisesn said:
JAGHAWK":20hisesn said:
What the...?

NO. Just no.

Hmmm..... Okung, a WR and a pick to Cleveland for Joe Thomas and Alex Mack???

Wait, that wasn't the original trade proposal.

I might have to think about this one. :common069:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Pie Romania":253t8qh5 said:
HawkGA":253t8qh5 said:
Let's assume for a minute that trading Okung is something the Seahawks would consider. I don't think it is, but let's just go with it. Isn't a 4th way too low? Schefter mentions they won't be able to resign him, so sure that's a good reason to trade him. Try to get something for him, I get it. But if he goes, the Hawks would get a compensatory pick, right? I'm guessing as a left tackle he's going to net at least a 3rd rounder, right? Do they go higher than 3rd round?

So assuming Schefter is onto something at all, he should probably be a little more realistic on his compensation. I would think it would take at least a 2nd round pick (not even sure the Hawks would even want a 1st, the way they trade them away!).

3rd is the highest. If Okung were to get money similar to Veldheer (which he doesn't deserve IMO, but will likely get), he would probably net a 4th round pick if I had to guess.

So trading him for a 4th from the Pats would make no sense. We'd be without Okung the rest of this year and only gain about 3-5 spots in the draft if I had to guess. As much as I dislike Okung, those 5 spots aren't worth the loss. It would take at least a 2nd IMO for Seattle to consider dealing him, and even then I don't think it happens unless it's from a team with a poor record currently.

Very much agreed with all of this.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3n011of7 said:
Pie Romania":3n011of7 said:
HawkGA":3n011of7 said:

3rd is the highest. If Okung were to get money similar to Veldheer (which he doesn't deserve IMO, but will likely get), he would probably net a 4th round pick if I had to guess.

So trading him for a 4th from the Pats would make no sense. We'd be without Okung the rest of this year and only gain about 3-5 spots in the draft if I had to guess. As much as I dislike Okung, those 5 spots aren't worth the loss. It would take at least a 2nd IMO for Seattle to consider dealing him, and even then I don't think it happens unless it's from a team with a poor record currently.

Very much agreed with all of this.

Couple things to consider:

1. It's 4-5 spots. But it's also a pick you can trade.
2. It's a 2016 pick. Instead of a compensatory 2017 pick. So the value is greater on that aspect alone
3. Seattle gains some cap flexibility (2.4m) in 2015.

So there are reasons that making a straight up trade is worth more.

massari

Reaction score
Actually I think Schefter had a point.

The OL didn't look any worse without Okung (although only one game) and by trading Okung for a 3rd or 4th, it would give the Seahawks an extra 3.64M in extra cap room next season with the Rollover.

I think I might consider this if I'm JS/PC.

massari

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":fbwsvmqr said:

2. It's a 2016 pick. Instead of a compensatory 2017 pick. So the value is greater on that aspect alone

You beat me by a few minutes on the cap flex it creates but I was thinking more about saving it for next season with the rollover when all those big contracts kick in.

Good points on being able to trade the pick and the pick being in 2016 instead of 2017.

Also, wouldn't the cap savings be 3.64M by trading Okung, since his cap hit this season is 7.28M? By your numbers I'd guess it's the base salary that's cut in half?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2sxqy9xe said:

That's not enough cap flexibility and draft advantage for me for losing our best O-lineman on an already bad O-line.

If we were 2-6 or even 3-5 and chances were slim to none for making the playoffs? Sure, trading Okung because we're probably going to lose him anyway I could see.

But our lines already sketchy with very little depth, trying to go another 8-10 games without our best lineman is crazy IMO.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2d3vh7sp said:
That's not enough cap flexibility and draft advantage for me for losing our best O-lineman on an already bad O-line.

Oh I completely agree.

I was merely trying to highlight the difference between a straight up trade and waiting for the comp pick.

Now that we're in a roster cycle where comp picks are kind of presumed -- it's worth understanding how making draft trades are almost in every case going to provide better returns than letting a guy get away in UFA. The main difference of course being you end up waiting a full year for that comp pick.

The only reason you'd want to keep a guy through the rest of the final year, would be if a team in in the mix for a playoff run, or expects to resign him.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":1mdbzqxt said:
HawkFan72":1mdbzqxt said:
I don't think he thought that one through very well.

Trade our LT, most talented lineman, away for a mid-round pick next year...when we need more O-line help as it is?

You're right Tyler, Okung is talented...

He plays a mean harmonica while waiting for his injuries to heal.

LOL, just because he's the most talented doesn't necessarily mean much on this O-line. Which only adds to my point of why it is stupid to trade him!

HawkFan72

Reaction score
massari":32252hlj said:
Actually I think Schefter had a point.

The OL didn't look any worse without Okung (although only one game) and by trading Okung for a 3rd or 4th, it would give the Seahawks an extra 3.64M in extra cap room next season with the Rollover.

I think I might consider this if I'm JS/PC.

And then who plays LT if Bailey gets hurt?

Latest posts