Angry DB EXTENDED.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Very happy with this extension. If anything, it comes in a little lower than I expected, but for the team, that's a good thing, and if Angry Doug signed it, then he's happy with it too, which is a good thing.

He's already one of my favorite Seahawks receivers. I like the way he plays, his hunger, his drive, his attitude. He steps up his game when we need it. Seeing him catch that TD pass in the Super Bowl is one of my favorite memories of that game. I was so rooting for him to get one in the big game.

Glad you're sticking around, Doug! A very wise move by the Seahawks, I think.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":3vl23f2n said:
So what does our salary cap look like now?

I'd be guessing on the specifics but we had about 10m to work with before this signing, and 2M was already put aside for Doug.

I don't see specific numbers yet for his new deal but apparently 9M of it is done int he first two years. So if we divide that in half for the sake of guessing that would put it at 4.5m , minus the 2m for what was already put aside, so we're still looking at 7ish m left in cap room.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":2kqfg260 said:
Very solid deal, I'm happy to see it. While I considered Tate to be our more valuable WR between the two, him getting over $6m/year and Baldwin getting just over $4m/year looks like good value. Nice job of slightly frontloading it too in preparing for Wilson's extension a year from now.

Tate is perhaps the more versatile all-around football player but Baldwin is the more valuable, better WR of the two. No contest. If you examined all 19 games in 2013, they end up at similar stats But Baldwin had less targets,was more consistent and more clutch, and he showed up big in the Play-Offs. Not to mention Doug was getting slot WR snaps in his first 8 games when Sidney Rice was somewhat healthy.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
Great move. The money sounds right and Doug has been Russell's safety blanket at crucial times. Plus he plays with that constant chip on his shoulder, so you know he will never be complacent. Grate move, for what seems to be a good guy.

CPHawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2csrn5he said:
Sgt. Largent":2csrn5he said:
DID YOU SEE THAT CONTRACT EXTENSION CHRIS CARTER!!!!!!..........IF NOT YOU BETTER GOOGLE IT!!!

Nice got Dougie Fresh extended. Chris Carter is busy googling Superbowl Champion rings at the moment. Since he's a pedestrian in that department.

If Carter was pedestrian in the SB department, that would imply he made a SB. He didn't, so he's not even an appetizer.

amill87

Reaction score
I always felt we were going to have to choose between Baldwin or Tate.

Tate had some jaw dropping highlights on occasion but also had a tendency to disappear for games at a time.

I'm much happier we gave the money to Baldwin. He's a much more consistent WR and seemed like he a clutch game altering catch every week.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
Once again the FO makes the SMART deal.
I'm so happy I took the blue pill.
esyva9a4.jpg

Hawkfish

Reaction score
UPDATE — And for some perspective on how Baldwin’s deal fits in with others signed by receivers this off-season, Jason La Confora of CBSSports.com wrote this morning that Baldwin could also receive an additional $2 million in incentives and that: “His new money average per year of $5.5 million a year would put him in the top five of all wide receiver free-agent deals this offseason, and if he maxes out his bonuses he would be right in line with former teammate Golden Tate’s average on his five-year deal with Detroit.”

From the Seattle Times

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I have a feeling Baldwin is going to breakout this year with a thousand-yard season. He's already very adept at creating separation, and that's only going to improve with Harvin playing in the slot. Had we not signed him, some other team would have offered him a $6 or 7 million a year deal that the Seahawks would not have been able to match. Now we have him locked up for three years with a fair but not extravagant price tag.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Hawkfish":2k6m8nwr said:
UPDATE — And for some perspective on how Baldwin’s deal fits in with others signed by receivers this off-season, Jason La Confora of CBSSports.com wrote this morning that Baldwin could also receive an additional $2 million in incentives and that: “His new money average per year of $5.5 million a year would put him in the top five of all wide receiver free-agent deals this offseason, and if he maxes out his bonuses he would be right in line with former teammate Golden Tate’s average on his five-year deal with Detroit.”

From the Seattle Times

That's great! I love incentives. Not that Angry Doug needs incentives to play hard, but this just makes things better. If he doesn't earn the incentives, then we're not overpaying him for a less-than-stellar performance. If he does, it's well-earned money we should be happy to pay.