Angry DB EXTENDED.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
chimpanjesus":2b9w41dh said:
just rewatched the NFC championship game last night. i forgot what a huge factor doug was in that game, massively clutch catches. it would've been a very different game without him. stoked he's locked up.

Doug Baldwin was absolutely incredible this post season. Huge reason the Hawks are champions.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Dear Value Village Shoppers,

While Doug Baldwin was being the best WR on the team as a rookie to establishing himself as one of the most efficient WRs per target in the NFL last year...

He earned just $1.395m in 3 years.

So, in what will be 6 seasons in the NFL, Doug Baldwin will have accrued an approximate value of $2.4 to a possible 3.5 mil per season.

Dude is totally worth it, get over yourselves.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Davis Hsu ‏@DavisHsuSeattle 12h
I said Baldwin would get Edelman APY- $4.5....exactly what he got

Gotta love the sheer arrogance there. Ooff, makes me want to barf. Damn twitter and all the people out there who helped make this guy a legend in his own mind...

As far as Dougie Fresh goes... I love this. They absolutely had to value Baldwin over Tate. Baldwin embodies everything Pete and John have built in Seattle. An undrafted guy who plays hungry ALL THE TIME (and doesn't just coast for 2 years like Golden did, admittedly so) who only improves his game when it's all on the line. The thing about paying Doug is, you know that he won't take it easy now that he got paid. Plus, I firmly believe that Doug's best years with the Seahawks are still ahead of him.

Hey, a lot of people weren't 100% thrilled with the Kam contract either when he signed his extension last year. Some people thought the Seahawks overvalued Chancellor and spent a little too much. Some even thought that Kam was the one part of the LoB that could be replaced and that the Seahawks should just focus on keeping Earl and Sherm. Well, we all saw how Kam elevated his game to levels most didn't think possible this past season (especially in the playoffs) and I think Doug will do the same and take his game to a whole new level.

I'm over Golden. I love the dude, but I prefer the WR situation the way it is as opposed to the way it was when the season ended. I believe the team has done a sufficient (even better than that but don't want to sound too homery) job in replacing Tate and that, although we'll miss his style of play personally as fans, his production will not be missed on the field. Should be fun to watch it all unfold together! Whatever, don't sweat it, we're Super Bowl champs y'all! To Doug!

:thirishdrinkers:

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Unfortunately this means Kearse is probably gone after this year. I don't expect him to get much work this year either.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":1t5uqs3z said:
Unfortunately this means Kearse is probably gone after this year. I don't expect him to get much work this year either.
I really like Kearse. Hope he can stay. But I get the feeling that partway through training camp we are going to see a receiver or two spun for picks. Kearse might be one of those.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I love Tate, but if I had a choice to only keep one guy.. and the options were ADB or Tate.. I'm taking ADB 10 times out of 10.

I think Doug is a young Bobby Engram.. and those type of WR's are so undervalued by the common fan. Sure the jaw dropping 50+ yard bombs are fun.. but so is having a guy that is so reliable on 3rd and 6 to get to the right spot and pick up 7.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":u0pz6r1v said:
I love Tate, but if I had a choice to only keep one guy.. and the options were ADB or Tate.. I'm taking ADB 10 times out of 10.
:roll: You know what else is undervalued? Receivers that gain great yards after the catch and force missed tackles at absurd rates on a consistent long-term basis.

I love ADB, but come on, man. He's definitely clutch, and runs better routes than Tate, but Tate has some great natural talent that you can't coach into people. He's going to have a field day in Detroit.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":3w3wkk6e said:

Why do you say that? If anything Kearse is on the rise within this group of WR's, which means without Tate he should be on the field plenty.

If Pete has shown anything, it's that he's a hard ass about rookies EARNING their way onto the field, and gives zero F's about when you were drafted. So if guys like Norwood and Richardson want to see the field, they're going to have to beat out Kearse who already has two years under his belt.......which will be tough.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1brb9smu said:
Hasselbeck":1brb9smu said:
:roll: You know what else is undervalued? Receivers that gain great yards after the catch and force missed tackles at absurd rates on a consistent long-term basis.

I love ADB, but come on, man. He's definitely clutch, and runs better routes than Tate, but Tate has some great natural talent that you can't coach into people. He's going to have a field day in Detroit.

So if Tate has better numbers than Baldwin in a pass-happy offense that will be trailing in a lot of games because of a subpar defense.. that means what?

I guess it means a lot if you have him on your fantasy team. But for the Seattle Seahawks, Doug Baldwin is more important than Golden Tate. And apparently the front office agrees - hence the extension.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":gzfgo610 said:
I bow to your very simplistic view of the situation, Hasselbeck. Carry on.

Golden Tate - lowballed
Doug Baldwin - not lowballed

Pretty cut and dry, no?

What the front office has shown this offseason is the players they value very highly, they are making sure they get paid accordingly. Their value of Golden Tate was far different than many here apparently wish it was - yourself included.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":26uk9a75 said:
RolandDeschain":26uk9a75 said:
I bow to your very simplistic view of the situation, Hasselbeck. Carry on.

Golden Tate - lowballed
Doug Baldwin - not lowballed

Pretty cut and dry, no?

What the front office has shown this offseason is the players they value very highly, they are making sure they get paid accordingly. Their value of Golden Tate was far different than many here apparently wish it was - yourself included.

I didn't see us "lowballing" Tate, IMO the Lions overpaid. Maybe in their offense they saw his value as much higher than us, so Tate's value is in the eye of the beholder.

Pete and John had his value for this offense maxed out at a certain dollar amount. That doesn't mean lowballed, just different value based on different styles of offense and need. Doug's deal fit under that pre-determined slotted salary, Tate's didn't.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I'm glad this happened. ADB has been so clutch. Whether it's that 3rd and long catch we so desperately need. That kick off return we so desperately need. Or hell just having a great game when we need it the most (NFCCG).

DavidSeven

Reaction score

sutz

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2dcsxj6h said:
Details on the deal are up: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seah ... g-baldwin/

It looks like they trashed the RFA tender year. It's a new 3-year deal.

3yrs/$13 Million.
$8.5 Million guaranteed
$4.8 Million signing bonus

2014: $1.4M base/$3.0M cap hit
2015: $2.8M base/$4.4M cap hit
2016: $4.0M base/$5.6M cap hit

Deal puts him right between Riley Cooper and J. Edelman on avg. salary w/ slightly higher guaranteed, which seems just right to me. Good deal for everyone.
I read somewhere that there were some additional performance bonuses, too. Any word on those?

As usual, the FO works out a pretty good deal. ADB is set for life, pretty much, and the team gets a great player at a reasonable deal.

As for "trashing" the tender, they have to do that. But if you put the tender on the table next to the new contract and tell him to sign that one first and then this one, it's kind of a formality anyway.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The thread is turning into ADB vs GT. I'll say this....a very few players are irreplaceable on the team. Golden Tate is not one of them. Doug Baldwin isn't either. They are solid components and very good players. I'm glad Doug Baldwin extended.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
It's really not a Tate vs. Baldwin issue. My completely unverified GUESS on what they offered Tate is probably something like 4yrs/$20ish million w/ ~$9.5M guaranteed. Detroit offered him 5yrs/$31M with $13.5M guaranteed. The gap was too big for any hometown discount to factor in.

IMO, Pete and JS probably LOVE Golden. Special teams and YAC beast? You don't think PC/JS loved those qualities? They practically live on that stuff. But the reality is he just played himself out of their range this past season. Dude was a baller and deserved his payday. I think they love Baldwin, too, especially for his psychological profile, which is basically the model they use when evaluating players now. It just happens that only one was able to fit in their cap model. I'm just glad we were able to retain at least one of them.

ivotuk

Reaction score
kearly":yriivvuz said:
Seattle supposedly offered Tate $4 million per, and Baldwin gets roughly $5.5 million per year in those two extra seasons when factoring his would-have-been $2 million 2014 salary. Seattle was willing to go $5 million a year on a longer deal.

I don't hate this deal, but why value Baldwin over Tate? If it's because he was more clutch or better in the playoffs, then that's kinda dumb. Tate brought huge value on special teams that will be difficult to replace, and he has more versatility, more overall production, more pure talent, and far more durability than Doug Baldwin.

My theory is that what tilted the scales in Baldwin's favor was his competitive nature at a time when Seattle wants to make competitiveness a focal point in the program more than ever. Losing one of your fiercest competitors would have a team-wide impact.

Golden let his emotions get the best of him during contract negotiations. John started out low, like they always do, and expected some back and forth negotiations.

Instead, Tate (per his conversation on 710) got upset "I'm going to vent here." His agent called with Detroit's offer of $6 million plus and Tate told his agent "Don't bother with anything, just accept it!"

So rather than go back to Seattle with Detroit's offer, Golden accepted the $6 million and signed immediately. I'm confident that John and Pete would have offered in the $5.4 range for Tate which would have been close to Detroit's offer to make him consider it, but he let his anger do his thinking for him.

I remember Golden Tate saying "Why go to a crappy city and a lose a lot of games for a little more money?" I think he's going to regret going to Detroit, they are a perennially mismanaged team with zero cohesiveness. I see them going 6 - 10 this year while watching the Seahawks go for their 2nd SuperB Owl victory.

Latest posts