Any chance the Hawks trade up into the top four?

seabowl

Reaction score
All I’ve seen is everyone talk about the Hawks trading down or a best staying put at number five. If they really love a guy in the top four, I can see JS trading up into this range. If that happened, it would likely be for a quarterback as, the capital given up will be somewhat high and you need to get the best bang for your buck. Thoughts?

sutz

Reaction score
It would be a first for JS, at least in the first round. He's traded up before, but in the later rounds not the first IIRC.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the idea. Sure, we need impact players with our picks, but we need numbers as well, and picks on Day One and Two are kind of premium. IMO there is not a huge drop off of talent at pick #3 or #4 compared to #5. The real drop off is around 10-15, where guys might as well be top of 2d round talent.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I doubt it. As sutz said, it would be out of character for JS to trade up as he has done it so seldom. But he's never had two firsts and two seconds, either so it can't be completely dismissed.

NoGain

Reaction score
The only reason I can possibly see for it is if JS has a QB in his sights that he's sky high on. I'd bet against it, but you never know.

chrispy

Reaction score
Historically, the impact of players he's picked in rounds 2, 3 and 4 has been better that those in round 1. He went up to get DK in recent past in round 2 so... never say never. However, I'd doubt it and I'll even say I hope not. I hope he has a maximum of 2s, 3s and 4s but gets any player he covets in 1st. Settling for a player you hope you don't have to pick at 5 would be worst case scenario (but frankly still probably benefit our DLine.)

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Bears
Texans
Cardinals
Colts

The problem with moving up is lack of slots.

Sure, da Bears will be open to trading out, but the cost will be very high.

Cardinals won’t play nice unless you overpay due to Division issues.

Colts are more likely to move up than back for a QB.

That leaves the Texans @ 2 and the Hawks hoping the new regime wants quantity of picks this year and worries about a QB next year. Problem here is that Houston already has a bunch of pick thanks to Cleveland.

Mix

Reaction score
they certainly have the ammo to do it. Trading up in the top 5 is usually reserved for QBs. I can only assume if we trade up you can expect them to take a QB when on the clock. I am a firm believer in QBs in the first round if only for the 5th year option keeping a window open longer if you hit on one.

nanomoz

Reaction score
If there's a QB John just have to have, I hope he's open to it. They haven't really been in this position before, having a high pick in a class with some great potential at QB. They seem to have dangled Russ to Cleveland a few years ago, but the Browns didn't bite.

It's conceivable that #5, #20, and #83 (or #5 and both seconds) could get into Houston's spot. And they'd still have stock to add to the defense.

flv2

Reaction score
Bears
Texans
Cardinals
Colts

The problem with moving up is lack of slots.

Sure, da Bears will be open to trading out, but the cost will be very high.

Cardinals won’t play nice unless you overpay due to Division issues.

Colts are more likely to move up than back for a QB.

That leaves the Texans @ 2 and the Hawks hoping the new regime wants quantity of picks this year and worries about a QB next year. Problem here is that Houston already has a bunch of pick thanks to Cleveland.
If the Seahawks wanted to pick a QB at #3 I would expect the Cardinals to be accommodating assuming they weren't dialled into a specific non-QB at #3. From their point of view they'd only be losing out on 1 spot rather than 2 because the Seahawks would be taking a player they weren't interested in. If the player they specifically want is expected to be available at #6 or #7 then trading down to #5 is a plus. In 'old Draft chart' terms trading up from the 1700 point #5 pick to the 2200 point #3 pick might only cost 250 points. The issue won't be divisional rivalry but who teams want and who else is interested. The #3 pick is an obvious spot for the Cardinals to trade to a QB hungry team. The Colts could also be in play for a QB with a trade for the #3 pick.

James in PA

Reaction score
I agree, just no realistic options to trade up. Bears would be too much of a jump and therefore cost too much. Texans and Colts aren't going to take any chances missing out on their QB. Cards aren't going to help out a division rival, especially when we both may be eyeing the same player. That said, I hope we don't trade back that first pick either. There will still be someone left worth taking at 5, IMO.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
They tried to trade up last year. They're not philosophically against the idea of trading up, they just generally don't have to.

They'll absolutely try to trade up into the top 4 if they perceive the talent at their preferred position to fall off a cliff, just like they tried last year to trade up to 7 for an OT (likely Ekwonu) but the trade fell apart after he was taken.

They also tried to trade up to 28 last year from 40/41, likely for Ebiketie. GB declined to pull the trigger when it got to their selection.

Seahawks.com is the source for both of the attempted trade ups.

If they have a lot of assets, they'll absolutely try to move around the board to snipe targets.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
All I’ve seen is everyone talk about the Hawks trading down or a best staying put at number five. If they really love a guy in the top four, I can see JS trading up into this range. If that happened, it would likely be for a quarterback as, the capital given up will be somewhat high and you need to get the best bang for your

All I’ve seen is everyone talk about the Hawks trading down or a best staying put at number five. If they really love a guy in the top four, I can see JS trading up into this range. If that happened, it would likely be for a quarterback as, the capital given up will be somewhat high and you need to get the best bang for your buck. Thoughts?
They have the draft capital to do it. I think if there is someone they think is a complete game changer 100% i think they would do it if they can work out something reasonable. I dont think that player is there so i say no.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Losing out on a top 4 pick really sucked

toffee

Reaction score
If Pete and John value Jalen Carter as highly as the media, they might trade up if Chicago took someone else, may be we can trade with Texan for their 2nd?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Losing out on a top 4 pick really sucked
To a point. Nobody expected this team to get the #5 pick from Denver before the season started (well, maybe one or two)
In fact, many probably thought it would be our OWN pick that high.
Getting the #5 pick is a major bonus. Hopefully there will be a run on QB's at the top, that would give us a hell of a lot better chance at one of the top D Lineman.
Then again, if teams go all defense in the top 4, there's a great shot of a someone trading up to #5 and getting some good extra picks to move down a little.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I think some fans are taking it for granted that Geno will re-sign with Seattle. Unless the plan is to use the Franchise/Exclusive Rights Tag on Geno, we don't have a guaranteed QB on the roster which means we absolutely need to consider all avenues to adding one.

Consider for a moment that Geno signs elsewhere. The draft becomes the best option to fill the position. And in a draft with a few quarterbacks offering franchise QB projections, it makes sense a team with a huge need at quarterback trades up into a position to grab the one they like most. Could they wait at #5 pick for their 3rd or 4th qb option? Sure, but why settle. Go get your guy. The picks given up won't matter if you hit on the selection.