Any word on Darrell Taylor

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Can we get serious here my fellow .Netters? DT is not playing in a Hawks uniform ....not now....not ever. Can you not read the "handwriting on the wall"?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
While the Seahawks still won't rule out Darrell Taylor being activated before the end of the regular season, coach Pete Carroll knows the clock is ticking for the rookie defensive end to return to action.

Speaking with reporters on Wednesday, Carroll indicated Taylor is nearing the end of a recent treatment where he received an injection in his surgically repaired leg. If he's going to suit up at all before the season concludes three weeks from now, he will have to get back on the practice field next week.

"We're really running out of time," Carroll responded. "Next week is really the last shot for us to get a chance [for him to practice]. He'll have to jump out then."

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/da ... r-seahawks

JS/PC knew he was hurt beforehand, and i doubt they'll get rid of a second-rounder that quickly.

balakoth

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3u3s68m2 said:
Aiunahthar":3u3s68m2 said:
FlyingGreg":3u3s68m2 said:
Just go look at his Instagram page. Not a single picture about football - and he doesn't even have Seahawks (or NFL) in his Bio. That's kinda weird, no? You would never know he was an NFL player.

Also, the way Pete has handled this whole thing is really weird and eerily similar to the redirects and lack of viable information we got about Malik McDowell. It's been 8 months since the draft and we still don't have any credible info on what exactly is going on except soft Darrell doesn't feel good about his little leg and he is supposedly getting injections.

B.S.

I don't see any fire or excitement about playing. He also looks tiny and nowhere near football shape, especially for a guy who is supposedly 6'4" 270.

Oh well, he got his money. I wouldn't be surprised if he never plays a down.

Another awesome wasted 1st round pick. Well done, John!

This isn't even fairly evaluating JS here either. You're zeroing in on a high pick that so far hasn't panned out due to a major injury. Even if he doesn't play a snap in the NFL this was still a great draft.

1st Round: Jordan Brooks who's has been contributing and getting better every week. No "splashy" plays but good solid football with 100% effort and always near or involved in the play.

2nd Round: Taylor who youre griping about. Hes a 1st round talent. If I remember correctly he was expected to be a top 15 player before the injury. High Risk/High Reward pick.

3rd Round: Damien Lewis our beast of a right guard who also started a game at center which he didn't play since high school.

4th round: Colby Parkinson - Hasn't done much because he's 4th in depth

4th Round: Deejay Dallas - Has contributed and done ok filling in when Hyde and Carson were injured.

5th round: Alton Robinson - 1 of the 2 DE we had who could get pressure on the QB in the 1st half of the season.

6th Round: Freddie Swain - Not in the game often but has been reliable whenever he is including a TD last week.

7th round: Stephen Sullivan - Converted to DE and injured. Not enough info on him yet.

Id say in this draft class that JS swung for the fence in the first 3 rnds. He hit on 2 of 3 so far. They are both starters from day 1 this year. Plus every other pick has contributed this season Overall this is a great draft for JS and PC. So if Taylor can play and comes in as a force that's 3 for 3! If not thats still 2/3 with high picks and all lower picks contributing. Look at the bigger picture and not just at what you don't like because you're on the fire Pete/JS train rn.

Where did I say fire Pete/JS? That's a dumb comment.

I zeroed on ANOTHER high draft pick they missed. It isn't new. This isn't about the rest of their picks, it's about Darrell Taylor and his lingering leg issues we know nothing about. Why did they draft him without thoroughly checking him out?

Get their junk out of your mouth - they are not immune to criticism.

PS It's Jordyn Brooks. Learn the team.

Ah yes you are the true factor of why I joined this board.... 9k posts and still being an ass... How amazing it must be to still lurk

(Spent 5 years doing it with this kind of ass comment, should probably go back to it so I don't spend X years and almost 10k posts being a total dildo half the time)

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":lfnlhv30 said:
Just go look at his Instagram page. Not a single picture about football - and he doesn't even have Seahawks (or NFL) in his Bio. That's kinda weird, no? You would never know he was an NFL player.

Also, the way Pete has handled this whole thing is really weird and eerily similar to the redirects and lack of viable information we got about Malik McDowell. It's been 8 months since the draft and we still don't have any credible info on what exactly is going on except soft Darrell doesn't feel good about his little leg and he is supposedly getting injections.

B.S.

I don't see any fire or excitement about playing. He also looks tiny and nowhere near football shape, especially for a guy who is supposedly 6'4" 270.

Oh well, he got his money. I wouldn't be surprised if he never plays a down.

Another awesome wasted high draft pick. Well done, John!

Expecting second rounders to contribute immediately at an above-replacement level is a great recipe for disappointment. Most don't pan out that way. Sad, but true.

Taylor likely would have been closer to ready had the team been the ones handling his rehab throughout the offseason. Pete hasn't been as secretive as you seem to think about the situation, we know what's going on: they were encouraged by his checkup during the draft visit, he had setbacks, he's been healing through them passively, the healing hasn't finished and discomfort remains, so he went to get a second opinion and continues receiving injection treatment. It's all out there, literally a google search away.

I think your use of an instagram page as an evaluation of a player is really silly, though. Come on now. The "soft Darrell" comments just come across as salty. I'd like him to contribute and play too, but the crap you're going on about isn't based on anything solid.

I'd suggest holding your horses on this one until he gets through this redshirt, has the opportunity for a healthy offseason, and we see him play. Things will become clearer then, just like they did regarding Collier.

Also, side note: Losing a bit of weight is not the end of the world for him. He's a leo end, he could play the spot just fine at 250, which I wouldn't doubt he's at now. He would likely be able to gain some weight right back if needed, too.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":36cm2o7p said:
Can we get serious here my fellow .Netters? DT is not playing in a Hawks uniform ....not now....not ever. Can you not read the "handwriting on the wall"?

How is this serious?

How speculating based on your gut feeling is "getting serious?" It seems like the opposite.

"Serious" would be looking at all the information available and making a judgment based on that. Most likely scenario would be that he sits out this year, has ample time to get right, and comes to camp year 2.

Anything else is a guess. Not serious.

massari

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2ohs3p6m said:
This team takes risks on high upside players.

Metcalf was a injury risk too. Look at his college numbers. The reason his production was so low was he was shut down early. We are OK with that because he turned out spectacular.

But you cannot be OK with the Metcalf pick and then gripe about the Taylor pick.
This wasn't a good year to take players coming off major injuries/surgeries, because they couldn't be evaluated by team doctors.

Metcalf was also coming off a God-like combine. He was healthy.

But if Taylor comes back next season, without burning a year off his rookie contract, and hasn't lost a step, the gamble pays off.

AlbaHawk

Reaction score
Welshers":24v3tj8x said:
There is a very real possibility he never plays a snap in the NFL. Real pity we may have wasted a second round pick on him. Everyone knew he was hurt which is why he fell so low, it was a high reward high risk type of thing. Maybe JS made a mistake. It happens. Or maybe he beats the odds and comes back and gives us the 1st round potential that he has, because I think that's what he was; a first rounder who fell to the second round because of an injury, and PS and PC were hoping they could get a steal. If Alex Smith can come back, anyone can.

/\ what he said.

OP
OP
PNW

PNW

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2my74yx7 said:
While the Seahawks still won't rule out Darrell Taylor being activated before the end of the regular season, coach Pete Carroll knows the clock is ticking for the rookie defensive end to return to action.

Speaking with reporters on Wednesday, Carroll indicated Taylor is nearing the end of a recent treatment where he received an injection in his surgically repaired leg. If he's going to suit up at all before the season concludes three weeks from now, he will have to get back on the practice field next week.

"We're really running out of time," Carroll responded. "Next week is really the last shot for us to get a chance [for him to practice]. He'll have to jump out then."

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/da ... r-seahawks

JS/PC knew he was hurt beforehand, and i doubt they'll get rid of a second-rounder that quickly.
We traded a second and a third round to jump up to get him. He’s more of a second+third rounder imo. Which is why this one hurts a little more for me.

Basis4day

Reaction score
massari":3b2klgfa said:
This wasn't a good year to take players coming off major injuries/surgeries, because they couldn't be evaluated by team doctors..

I'd argue the opposite

Many posters in this thread seem to forget it was very much up in the air if there would even be a 2020 season when the draft happened. That minimized the risk of taking a player with an injury with a known extended recovery time.

Also, he's on NFI. He's not accumulating years on his contract right now.

sutz

Reaction score
We should probably just stop worrying about him. Sounds like he won't make the field this year. Hopefully he'll get better for next year. Might as well treat 2020 as a redshirt season for him.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I am hoping for success for him but as of today he is another brick in the crappy drafting wall. He isn’t McDowell level even if he never plays but certainly towards the top.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3ptis3cz said:
Bigpumpkin":3ptis3cz said:

How is this serious?

How speculating based on your gut feeling is "getting serious?" It seems like the opposite.

"Serious" would be looking at all the information available and making a judgment based on that. Most likely scenario would be that he sits out this year, has ample time to get right, and comes to camp year 2.

Wrong again, my friend.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":90dgjkx4 said:
Maelstrom787":90dgjkx4 said:
Bigpumpkin":90dgjkx4 said:

How is this serious?

Wrong again, my friend.

Doesn't really answer the question, but alright.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":278p0928 said:
I am hoping for success for him but as of today he is another brick in the crappy drafting wall. He isn’t McDowell level even if he never plays but certainly towards the top.

Lots of players have injuries in their rookie season that have them miss the season. My view is it is much too soon to be writing this player off as
another brick in the crappy drafting wall

At this point I suspect the season is done for Taylor but until I see him play or don't see him play I'm not writing him off as a clear draft bust. In this case I suspect that even the medical staff is a bit surprised at the slow pace of his recovery but as I have never had a titanium rod inserted in my leg I can't judge.

We all need to get past McDowell as the FO team could not have known he'd smash his coconut and render himself unable to ever play again b/c of a foolish ATV accident. I 'd agree however that he had a suspect character and proved himself to be a worthless draft pick. The poor character issue is not one that Taylor ever displayed and he was a very high potential pass rusher.

Time will tell if he turns out to be a bad draft pick but all in all the team has drafted better than many other teams and when they have a score it usually a a huge score.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I’m not giving up on him. The fact is though he has contributed exactly nothing to the team. And, we have probably lost an entire year of production that we could have had from picking someone else (2 someone else’s?) Yes, he doesn’t accrue a year so we get him one more but drafting him has left a hole on the team this year. It is what it is. It wasn’t like the team drafted a healthy player who had an injury in a game.

LTH

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":3me4ifx6 said:
I’m not giving up on him. The fact is though he has contributed exactly nothing to the team. And, we have probably lost an entire year of production that we could have had from picking someone else (2 someone else’s?) Yes, he doesn’t accrue a year so we get him one more but drafting him has left a hole on the team this year. It is what it is. It wasn’t like the team drafted a healthy player who had an injury in a game.

That being said Pete is really high on this guys talent he must be a really good player for the Hawks to have given a 2nd for him...just need to be patient and let the training staff work it out...Pete has said nothing to suggest he is a bust.

LTH

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Based on Pete's most recent update I don't think we'll see anything from Taylor this year. His update included (to the effect) 'if...we'll have to start all over with him'.
I don't believe we can qualify him as a bust until it is determined he will never play, or if and when he plays he cannot produce.

OP
OP
PNW

PNW

Reaction score
And to think we almost drafted DT in the first round!!!

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
PNW":t78pb0uk said:
And to think we almost drafted DT in the first round!!!

From what I read here it seems like a lot of folks think you are making a bad move to draft according to need. I'm not marching in that band. Overlooking a hole to improve depth at another spot is an out of order priority IMO. We needed both rush and DT. Taylor fit one of those, or so it appeared. The way it has worked out we got neither in the draft, but I'm liking the way things are shaping up on the D line. Collier is making steady progress, Reed and Poona are improved, and we picked up Snacks, Dunlap. Mayowa (had high hopes for Irvin), and improved our RB situation. Our problem has been keeping guys on the field together long enough to get high level cohesion.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I doubt he sees the field this year. What he may very well become is the off-season whipping boy for perceived draft mistakes. Then, when he comes back in 2021, there will be some posts of, “I forgot all about this guy”, and others about, “well JS got lucky on this one”.

Every time I see a post about him, I just put the thought of him on the back burner as a player to watch for later. Considering this was a football season that was doubtful to begin and also had a high probability of not finishing, this is a guy who could pay huge dividends down the road.

If he doesn’t pan out, ok it’s a wasted pick. Not every draft pick is a future all pro or even makes the team. There are hits, misses and walks every year. So far I’m extremely pleased with the 2020 draft class. If DT contributes later down the road then it will just be icing on the cake.

Latest posts