Anybody been following the drama in GB?

Laloosh

Reaction score
This is somewhat dated but I didn't see it being discussed at all. Curious if we have any GB fans left on the board here that can speak to it.

There’s been quite a bit of frustration with and amongst the Green Bay Packers this season. It starts with quarterback Aaron Rodgers and coach Mike McCarthy being frustrated with each other, but it doesn’t end there.

McCarthy is also reportedly frustrated with his boss, do-nothing general manager Ted Thompson.

http://totalpackers.com/2016/01/mccarth ... -thompson/

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Not surprising really. Ted Thompson has been a hindrance for years. It's amazing to think they've only won ONE title with Aaron Rodgers at the helm. And he's not Peyton Manning either, who threw away opportunities. The guy's a born winner and arguably the most naturally gifted QB ever to play the game.

And Thompson's awful drafting and inability to think outside of the box has wasted his best years. In a three year run the Packers drafted Derek Sherrod, Nick Perry and Datone Jones in R1. Terrible.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
But he has had real good picks as well..J Nelson,C Matthews,BJ Raji,J Jones ect are just some..

Trrrroy

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1vc3r55n said:
But he has had real good picks as well..J Nelson,C Matthews,BJ Raji,J Jones ect are just some..

Put me in charge of a few drafts and i'd have good picks too. Doesnt mean i'd be a good gm. Its having a vision with those picks.

Their entire offense dropped off a cliff because of nelson's injury. That shouldnt happen. Not with Rodgers. He was the only thing keeping that team afloat. Rodgers gets hurt that team turns into the 2011 Colts.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well with the adversity they have had they are now turning on each other, I expect a firing at some point of someone to keep from the team from dividing the locker room and just showing up for a paycheck.

The last time that happened we seen Farve exit and not long after Wolf step down and then a new Coach, may not happen in that order or all the above, but something will happen, Mayberry doesn't want this type of attention.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Only logical conclusion I see here is moving on from McCarthy. If you have to choose between a coach or your GM and HOF QB it's a real easy choice. Get a new coach and move on.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Is any of this the reason McCarthy isnt involved at the ProBowl?

Seahawks4life

Reaction score
I really want Ted to stay GM there, Makes me nervous with our GM John S. contract coming up at end of next season and he has stated he would want Packers GM job and even has a clause that he could leave Seahawks if Job becomes available.

KEEP TED PACKERS!

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Seahawks4life":5ogkjo97 said:
I really want Ted to stay GM there, Makes me nervous with our GM John S. contract coming up at end of next season and he has stated he would want Packers GM job and even has a clause that he could leave Seahawks if Job becomes available.

KEEP TED PACKERS!

He actually said that? Any link to that comment? I always thought it was fan speculation, not actual fact.

kearly

Reaction score
Thompson is a very good drafting GM after the 1st round, but in the 1st round he's as much at the mercy of the draft board as anyone else. Most late 1sts flop, the quality of those picks is nowhere near as good as a top 15 pick most years. It's the same exact thing with JS. JS is average in round 1, but superb after that. Any team that is above average in round 1 (the Rams) is drafting high every single year. Give the Rams nothing but late 1sts and their 1st round picks would look underwhelming too.

Thompson has rarely ventured into free agency, but when he has he's done very well (Peppers, Woodson). His philosophies about building the team through the draft and spending money to keep proven in house talent is the smartest way to build a cost-effective roster, and it's also exactly what JS does.

The difference is, I'm not really seeing what McCarthy and his coaching staff can bring to the table as talent developers. John Schneider has Pete Carroll: hands down the best talent developer in the NFL.

I see McCarthy as the hindrance, not Thompson. And that's not even getting into McCarthy's well documented issues with playcalling and in-game decisions. Put Pete Carroll on that team and within a year or two they could be the team to beat in the NFL. They won't get a guy like Carroll, but upgrading from McCarthy could still make a positive difference.

Football is so much more about coaching than acquisition. USC has dominated recruiting going back ages, but only became a serious contender with Pete Carroll. UCLA was even worse, posting losing records with top 15 recruiting classes, before Jim Mora showed up and upgraded the coaching position. And look at how awful SF was before and after Jim Harbaugh with the same GM in place the whole time. And then look at Michigan, or Stanford, before Harbaugh showed up.

We should thank our lucky stars we have Pete. Most teams are not nearly as fortunate.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":11fu4sbl said:
Seahawks4life":11fu4sbl said:

KEEP TED PACKERS!

He actually said that? Any link to that comment? I always thought it was fan speculation, not actual fact.

Yeah, I would like to see those actual comments too. I can't imagine a GM for one team would make it public that he would rather have another job. It sounds like 100% fan speculation.

Alexander

Reaction score
Seanhawk":37knwq22 said:
Trenchbroom":37knwq22 said:
Seahawks4life":37knwq22 said:

KEEP TED PACKERS!

Yeah, I would like to see those actual comments too. I can't imagine a GM for one team would make it public that he would rather have another job. It sounds like 100% fan speculation.

I don't think he's publicly stated that he wants the Packers job. I'm not sure he's even addressed the issue at all publicly. But there is definitely a clause in his contract that allows him to take the Green Bay job specifically.

ptisme

Reaction score
McCarthy and Rodgers are fine.... But I don't doubt McCarthy is frustrated with Thompson... IMO Thompson is what's keeping the Packers from winning another SB... We were screaming for him to trade for Lynch a few years ago when we had no running game for instance. McCarthy develops quarterbacks. You don't give that up. I'd let Ted go and either promote Elliot Wolf or see if Schneider still wants to come home....

ptisme

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":1rrhnda9 said:
Seahawks4life":1rrhnda9 said:

KEEP TED PACKERS!

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seah...-he-someday-be-offered-same-job-with-packers/

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ptisme":3mn0wr3e said:
McCarthy and Rodgers are fine.... But I don't doubt McCarthy is frustrated with Thompson... IMO Thompson is what's keeping the Packers from winning another SB... We were screaming for him to trade for Lynch a few years ago when we had no running game for instance. McCarthy develops quarterbacks. You don't give that up. I'd let Ted go and either promote Elliot Wolf or see if Schneider still wants to come home....

Do you really need that coach to develop a QB now though? That may have made more sense at the beginning of Rodgers career and first couple years as a starter, but the man is by far the best QB in football when healthy.

I agree Thompson kind of stinks.. but have never been big on McCarthy.

ptisme

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":32duevfi said:
ptisme":32duevfi said:

Do you really need that coach to develop a QB now though? That may have made more sense at the beginning of Rodgers career and first couple years as a starter, but the man is by far the best QB in football when healthy.

I agree Thompson kind of stinks.. but have never been big on McCarthy.
What McCarthy lacks as an in-game coach he more than makes up for in other areas offensively. He is responsible for resurrecting Brett Favre, developing Aaron Rodgers and making Scott Tolzein far more attractive than the crap burger he was before he came to GB. Then there was 5th round pick Brett Hundley who never played a pro style offense before coming to GB and in the preseason looked like the next Tom Brady. McCarthy also excels at preparing the offense to attack a defenses weakness. Since McCarthy started running the offense they have been one of the most prolific offenses in the league. Without McCarthy (who stupidly decided to hand the offense off to the OC) the pass offense was ranked 22nd. Injuries are certainly a part of that but GB is often one of the more injured in the league every year.

Ask two dozen teams in the league who strike out on first round quarterbacks how important it is to have a guy to develop them...

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Sorry to keep beating the drum, but almost every good move that made the Hawks title-contenders happened in the first 3 years of Schneider's tenure. He is riding on those successes, especially at QB. He is even worse with 1st rounders than Thompson.

Thompson and Schneider are almost clones. Either one could leave at this point and the team would be fine.

We might actually get better if Schneider went to G.B.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I don't know a single GM who has done it year after year after year. After a while, the laws of averages catch up with people. And it was bound to catch up with JS. He is still one of the best in the business.
bjornanderson21":3m2qh8kk said:
Sorry to keep beating the drum, but almost every good move that made the Hawks title-contenders happened in the first 3 years of Schneider's tenure. He is riding on those successes, especially at QB. He is even worse with 1st rounders than Thompson.

Thompson and Schneider are almost clones. Either one could leave at this point and the team would be fine.

We might actually get better if Schneider went to G.B.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":1hg22opc said:

Could that be because much of the success Schneider enjoyed in the first 3 years of his tenure was due to the presence of Scott McLoughan who joined the team shortly after Schneider in 2010 and resigned in 2014?

- bsd