Anybody been following the drama in GB?

drdiags

Reaction score
bigskydoc":22dwv020 said:
bjornanderson21":22dwv020 said:
Sorry to keep beating the drum, but almost every good move that made the Hawks title-contenders happened in the first 3 years of Schneider's tenure. He is riding on those successes, especially at QB. He is even worse with 1st rounders than Thompson.

Could that be because much of the success Schneider enjoyed in the first 3 years of his tenure was due to the presence of Scott McLoughan who joined the team shortly after Schneider in 2010 and resigned in 2014?

- bsd

Was trying to dispute this line of thought but couldn't find a nice counter-point, though McCloughan got fired by the 9ers in Mar 2010 so his impact on the first Seahawks draft couldn't be a majority of the input. This link I had never read before which is surprising, I must have been still delirious from the sweet SB victory:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/seahawks-prevailing-wisdom/story?id=22350549

The timeless philosophy is that of Ron Wolf, the legendary architect of the 1990s Packers. Schneider and McCloughan are both disciples of Wolf. They are approximately the same age (41 and 42, respectively) and learned in Green Bay how to build a team through the draft by, as Wolf likes to say, "playing the percentages." That means not deviating from height and weight and strength standards set for each position. That would explain Seattle's secondary, tall and physical in the era of the lithe speedster. But as McCloughan says, "You can't be stubborn."

Nowhere was that more evident than in the drafting of 5-foot-10 QB Russell Wilson. Schneider and McCloughan interviewed Wilson for two hours at the Senior Bowl two years ago and came away smitten by Wilson's unbending, even demeanor. It's perhaps Wilson's greatest attribute as a quarterback, never allowing him to overthink challenges or be overwhelmed by the stage.

Still, as McCloughan says, "the percentages are that a 5-10 quarterback will not be good."

But Schneider fought for Wilson, convincing a coaching staff that was more skeptical of his chances to make the roster than it'll ever admit. One of Schneider's strengths, McCloughan says, "is that he takes as many opinions as he can before he makes a decision." Owner Paul Allen once teased Schneider by saying, "OK, nobody has this quarterback ranked in the third round."

"This is a special quarterback," Schneider said.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Alexander":35a5q3zt said:
Seanhawk":35a5q3zt said:
Trenchbroom":35a5q3zt said:
Seahawks4life":35a5q3zt said:
I really want Ted to stay GM there, Makes me nervous with our GM John S. contract coming up at end of next season and he has stated he would want Packers GM job and even has a clause that he could leave Seahawks if Job becomes available.

KEEP TED PACKERS!

He actually said that? Any link to that comment? I always thought it was fan speculation, not actual fact.

Yeah, I would like to see those actual comments too. I can't imagine a GM for one team would make it public that he would rather have another job. It sounds like 100% fan speculation.

I don't think he's publicly stated that he wants the Packers job. I'm not sure he's even addressed the issue at all publicly. But there is definitely a clause in his contract that allows him to take the Green Bay job specifically.

Pete has final say in Seattle. If Schneider gets offered a job where he has final say and gets to hire the coach, it would be considered a step up and he would be free to take that job. There is no specific team or job mentioned as that would be considered tampering. Any job that is considered a step UP can be taken.

PackerNation

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":js0ijifv said:
Sorry to keep beating the drum, but almost every good move that made the Hawks title-contenders happened in the first 3 years of Schneider's tenure. He is riding on those successes, especially at QB. He is even worse with 1st rounders than Thompson.

Thompson and Schneider are almost clones. Either one could leave at this point and the team would be fine.

We might actually get better if Schneider went to G.B.

Hmmmm, disagree with you on this. Schneider is pretty good GM and would be hard to replace. I think he brought in some serious talent to elevate your entire organization. I also think he scored huge with Lockett this year. That guy will be great for a long time in your offense.

We loved Schneider in Green Bay and while he is a lot like Thompson, I think he uses free agency better in Seattle and takes a few more risks. Even his bad moves (Percy Harvin) didn't stop you from winning a Super Bowl.

Green Bay will most likely turn to Elliot Wolf to succeed Thompson. I think Schneider is a Seahawk for some time.

Boycie

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":jh5eya78 said:

Thompson and Schneider are almost clones. Either one could leave at this point and the team would be fine.

Don't hang this on JS. Pete just left the college game, and he had a lot of knowledge on the upcoming few years of draft eligible players. That would be the biggest factor.

Basis4day

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":1gpxa4b6 said:

The aggression of the Hawk's FO in going after free agents and trading 1st rd draft picks makes that not even close to being true.

mrt144

Reaction score
kearly":1srujg43 said:
Thompson is a very good drafting GM after the 1st round, but in the 1st round he's as much at the mercy of the draft board as anyone else. Most late 1sts flop, the quality of those picks is nowhere near as good as a top 15 pick most years. It's the same exact thing with JS. JS is average in round 1, but superb after that. Any team that is above average in round 1 (the Rams) is drafting high every single year. Give the Rams nothing but late 1sts and their 1st round picks would look underwhelming too.

Thompson has rarely ventured into free agency, but when he has he's done very well (Peppers, Woodson). His philosophies about building the team through the draft and spending money to keep proven in house talent is the smartest way to build a cost-effective roster, and it's also exactly what JS does.

The difference is, I'm not really seeing what McCarthy and his coaching staff can bring to the table as talent developers. John Schneider has Pete Carroll: hands down the best talent developer in the NFL.

I see McCarthy as the hindrance, not Thompson. And that's not even getting into McCarthy's well documented issues with playcalling and in-game decisions. Put Pete Carroll on that team and within a year or two they could be the team to beat in the NFL. They won't get a guy like Carroll, but upgrading from McCarthy could still make a positive difference.

Football is so much more about coaching than acquisition. USC has dominated recruiting going back ages, but only became a serious contender with Pete Carroll. UCLA was even worse, posting losing records with top 15 recruiting classes, before Jim Mora showed up and upgraded the coaching position. And look at how awful SF was before and after Jim Harbaugh with the same GM in place the whole time. And then look at Michigan, or Stanford, before Harbaugh showed up.

We should thank our lucky stars we have Pete. Most teams are not nearly as fortunate.

There's also somethign to be said for a new set of eyes in a coach for utilizing existing talent. With Ohio State at least, they remain pretty much the same recruiting powerhouse they've always been but it was 2 coaching changed that netted national titles within 3 years of the hire.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Interesting I keep hearing Rodgers is a "winner" and he's widely regarded as the best QB in the league. Yet he's got 6 playoff wins, know who else has 6 playoff wins? Russell Wilson.

Rodgers hasn't been that productive in the playoffs. It's hard to blame that entirely on the GM when Rodgers had great years only to be 1 and done in the playoffs.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
jlwaters1":3tquc7m0 said:
Interesting I keep hearing Rodgers is a "winner" and he's widely regarded as the best QB in the league. Yet he's got 6 playoff wins, know who else has 6 playoff wins? Russell Wilson.

Rodgers hasn't been that productive in the playoffs. It's hard to blame that entirely on the GM when Rodgers had great years only to be 1 and done in the playoffs.

Russell has 7.

ivotuk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1reud5gz said:
Not surprising really. Ted Thompson has been a hindrance for years. It's amazing to think they've only won ONE title with Aaron Rodgers at the helm. And he's not Peyton Manning either, who threw away opportunities. The guy's a born winner and arguably the most naturally gifted QB ever to play the game.

And Thompson's awful drafting and inability to think outside of the box has wasted his best years. In a three year run the Packers drafted Derek Sherrod, Nick Perry and Datone Jones in R1. Terrible.

Is Ted Thompson Tim Ruskell in disguise?