Anyone Want 2 See Harvin Used Like DeSean Jackson More Often

Basis4day

Reaction score
I cringe a little when people think the secret to making the Seahawks a juggernaut offensively is the have Harvin, Lockette and Richardson run go routes off a read option with Lynch in the backfield for most of the game.

This isn't Madden.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Guy gets in the end zone 3 times in one game and folks complain we are underutilizing him.

I couldn't care less how they elect to use him if he is getting into the end zone 3 times in one game. With that level of success, I am not going out on a limb to say they know what they have and they know how to optimize the advantage they get from him.

-bsd

Smellyman

Reaction score
Basis4day":9qmzfycq said:
I cringe a little when people think the secret to making the Seahawks a juggernaut offensively is the have Harvin, Lockette and Richardson run go routes off a read option with Lynch in the backfield for most of the game.

This isn't Madden.

I do wish the D would run the interception play more.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
dopeboy206":2ucyubn5 said:
peachesenregalia":2ucyubn5 said:
It's my opinion that we do not want to tip our hand too early this season. Everyone's already gunning for us this year, we can expect everyone's 'A' game from every opponent. What we do NOT want to do is give them any more game film on us than we have to. So for now, while we're still getting wins, I'm happy enough with the cutesy little dink-and-dunk slants and screens. We'll open it up more in the latter half of our schedule when the opponents warrant it. It's a long season, gotta play the game within the game and keep the element of surprise as long as you can..

I dig everything you say. Hopefully we cook :stirthepot: up some more stuff the 2nd half of the year for "Lord Have Mercy Percy Harvin"

It really feels like we want to do just enough to win each week and if they get close we turn up the dial just a bit. If they still get close, when he cranks the dial all the way up to the top for a drive or 2 and we get OT against Denver or the Percy TD's (hopefully minus the bogus nullifying penalties in the future).

This seems to be Pete's style/desire. I am personally more of the never take the foot off the gas stomp the living hell out of your opponent type for the whole game but if it works, Go Hawks!!!

jonkchar

Reaction score
You can lob long bombs to Harvin and RW and PH could do it fine sure. But that doesn't necessarily win a game. The ground and pound style makes opposing teams tap out eventually. That's why you'll see great teams give up the ghost by the 4th quarter

akscoundrel

Reaction score
Well, I would like to see us stretch the field vertically more with all our guys, including/specifially with Harvin, but as others have pointed out, our pass protection needs to improve quite a bit.

That said, I'd like to see Harvin actually get the ball in his hands a little more, by whatever method. As good of a decoy as he is, he is even more effective with the rock in his hands.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Forget using Harvin that way, I want to see them use Paul Richardson like Jackson

Sac

Reaction score
I'd like to see the field continue to be stretched horizontally by Percy while PRich and Lockett stretch it vertically.

Cartire

Reaction score
The fact that were getting amazing starting field position without him even touching the ball out of fear that it will be even worse if he does, is pretty cool with me.

Also, watching the All-22. He goes on a lot more go and post routes then we realize. But there is always a safety over the top. So its not so much about him beating out the CB and the CB trying to catch him. Hes got constant cover over the top.

Treghc

Reaction score
dopeboy206":2kdovuzx said:
Smellyman":2kdovuzx said:
like what go deep more? PH did and it was called back on bogus penalty. then he scored two more that were called back. Then he gave us great field position because they were afraid to kick to him. Then he opens up lanes for ML and RW.

PH does way more than Jackson.

Yes but the two TDs were off a screen pass and a jet sweep. Only the 3rd was a deep pass. I don't disagree he does more than Jackson but I want to see more deep passes his way but like others said our O-line has to step up. I'm not saying we take out the screen pass or bubble screens but I just want to see more long bombs his way because I feel that if he is primarily used as a decoy, jet sweeps and bubble screens then we are overpaying him.

Wait. Are you complaining about plays that led to TD's? I'm confused here... Why change the plan when points would've been put on the board?

Using Percy as a decoy helps all aspects of the offense. It stretches the field horizontally, allowing more space for Lynch, should they change up the same exact play look. Percy helps keep the defense honest by keeping them tuned in the threat of deep pass attacks (yes, he's run some deep routes, but usually gets doubled up). Harvin has also been able to show is incredible explosiveness on a game-day basis.

This offense has been a huge upgrade from last year, partially thanks to Percy Harvin. Without the o-line penalties, the score would've been nearly doubled.

jonkchar

Reaction score
I can totally understand wanting to see Percy ripping it with the ball