OP
OP
Jimjones0384

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Erebus":3j87e5qf said:
Jimjones0384":3j87e5qf said:
Erebus":3j87e5qf said:
I don't think you understand the meaning of the words "prove it deal". Neither of these guys have anything left to prove. They should be in ring-chasing mode now.

I understand fully what a "prove it deal" is. And the thing they have to prove is that they can stay healthy. Charles is 30, and Peterson is 31. 30 is widely accepted as the fall off age for running backs. Charles has played in five games in two years, and missed one game before that due to injuries. Ap played in 1 game in 2014, and 3 last year. 2014 due to suspension, last year due to injury. So, they have plenty to prove. It is widely accepted that they would sign prove it deals. It is also widely accepted that in the NFL, it's not what you have done in the past, it's what you will due in the future. Don't insult my intelligence.

Edit: not to mention that ap rushed for an appalling 1.9 yds per carry last year. Even though it was behind a horrible line, that is still major cause for concern.

"Prove it" deals are supposed to lead to longer contracts. Both players are beyond that point now. At this point in their careers, there is always going to be a high risk of decline or injury. Staying healthy for one year will not alleviate that risk.

Prove it deals come in different types. They can be proving it to the team they signed with for a year to get a future contract, or the rest of the league. I'm sure both of those guys arent going into next year saying it will be their last. I know Peterson said he wants to play til 40. So, yeah....I'm sure they are both are wanting to play for future contracts.

So, if the Seahawks sign one of these guys for a year, at very low cost, the hope is they will come in with a chip on their shoulders and ball out. The guy will want to prove they have stuff left in the tank, so they can sign a new multi year deal with some guaranteed money. hence, the prove it deal. And whether or not they get the next contract is irrelevant.

chris98251

Reaction score
These guys are looking for a Bucket list contract for a Super Bowl, nothing career extending, they are done as a franchise guy.

OP
OP
Jimjones0384

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
chris98251":3nu94nfi said:
These guys are looking for a Bucket list contract for a Super Bowl, nothing career extending, they are done as a franchise guy.

I agree with you that they are searching out a ring, they both will want to play beyond next year, which will likely require a one year deal, then a new contract. I don't see what's so hard to understand about this.