Are Pete and John on the Hot Seat?

AgentDib

Reaction score
In my view their jobs are very safe compared to most of the NFL but no NFL job is ever 100% safe.

MO Hawk":1hfa9p3r said:
I'd say 10-6 and the team being headed in the right direction to keep it.
To be clear, you are predicting that they would both be fired if the team ends up 9-7 in a rebuilding year despite it being their 7th consecutive winning season? That's a very bold prediction; there have been just 12 teams in the history of the NFL to string 7 consecutive winning seasons together and none of those had their head coach and GM fired at the conclusion of that season.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'd want to defer comment on this until the end of this season. However, I frankly doubt they are on any hot seat at all and will be given considerable latitude to rebuild the team.

Lots of changes have happened and it appears there may be reasons for concern and reasons for hope.

Let's wait and see.

sc85sis

Reaction score
xray":1uzxo89k said:
Those two guys put together a rather weak 90 man roster to start with.
Teams with the strongest 90 man rosters generally do better in the regular season because they have better players
to pick from for the 53 roster.
Since they both said that this is not a rebuild year then they put themselves on the hook for producing a decent season.
They are not going to have much depth because of the original 90 man roster picks hence the 0-4 pre-season.
I think that anything less than a 8-8 season will cost someone their job I'm guessing Carroll for sure.
Ownership has got to be tired of the RAH-RAH "the glass is half full" BS. AS a lifelong fan I know I am
I have no way of knowing, but I suspect Paul is more realistic than fans are and will not be looking to dump his highly qualified and successful GM and coach even if this season is mediocre in terms of W/L.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
AgentDib":2ix6jrq5 said:
In my view their jobs are very safe compared to most of the NFL but no NFL job is ever 100% safe.

MO Hawk":2ix6jrq5 said:
I'd say 10-6 and the team being headed in the right direction to keep it.
To be clear, you are predicting that they would both be fired if the team ends up 9-7 in a rebuilding year despite it being their 7th consecutive winning season? That's a very bold prediction; there have been just 12 teams in the history of the NFL to string 7 consecutive winning seasons together and none of those had their head coach and GM fired at the conclusion of that season.
Surprises the hell out of me when someone around here actually makes some damn sense and/or has perspective. Bravo!

OP
OP
M

MO Hawk

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":3r59cd6x said:
iigakusei":3r59cd6x said:
Worst post of the preseason, and there have been some bad ones.

Agreed. Just pointless

Maybe?

This Thread originated from a conversation I was in with a non Seahawks fan in the Midwest. My thoughts as of today, Pete and John are certainly not on the hot seat. As the season progresses who knows? A lot of the conversation that prompted this post was that there is only so long coaches, fans, etc. can blame losses on injuries.

They also had an interesting quote: "In the NFL the distance from the Penthouse to the Outhouse is about one day"

I'd gladly eat crow on this post and have a winning season or at least have a team headed in the right direction for the future. We can revisit it in December to see where we are then. I do hope this turns out to be a bad post, but the comments here are interesting.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
This year they get a pass because of the circumstances and what they've accomplished over their tenure. Next year however though, that's a different story.

iigakusei

Reaction score
xray":3drlnel1 said:
Those two guys put together a rather weak 90 man roster to start with.
Teams with the strongest 90 man rosters generally do better in the regular season because they have better players
to pick from for the 53 roster.
Since they both said that this is not a rebuild year then they put themselves on the hook for producing a decent season.
They are not going to have much depth because of the original 90 man roster picks hence the 0-4 pre-season.
I think that anything less than a 8-8 season will cost someone their job I'm guessing Carroll for sure.
Ownership has got to be tired of the RAH-RAH "the glass is half full" BS. AS a lifelong fan I know I am
I was wrong about the OP being the worst post of the preseason.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
JS should be on the hot seat if he is the one that gives out these extensions
and signs these FA's..
He overpays and gets fleeced in almost every trade..
His drafts for the most part have sucked..
But then again Pete is his boss right?So not sure where to place blame.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I don't think so assuming the team shows signs of progression throughout the season that something is BUILDING. If the team falls flat on its face with absolutely no signs that there is light at the end of the tunnel, then yes they will definitely be on the hot seat with maybe one more year left to go (if that). I guess it really just depends how the season goes. I mean they should not be on the hot seat especially if they win 5-8 wins looking better towards the end of the season. But if the season ended 1-15 or 2-14, then someone is getting fired.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Had Pete and John not accepted the fact that ever since the ending of SB 49 that our team had been on a steady slide towards mediocrity, I would have been off the bandwagon and barring a deep run into the playoffs at the end of this season, been calling for their heads.

But they did see the light and came to the realization that the current status quo was no longer working and that they had to make some major changes to both their coaching staff as well as their roster if they wanted to get this team back to where we once were. Consequently, in my eyes, that admission and subsequent purging of the team has earned them at least another year or two.

This could be a rough season. We're going to have to hang tough and give these guys a chance for their changes to take hold.

Fade

Reaction score
Pete potentially is.

It would have to be bad though like 6-10 or worse.

Not likely.

Pete only has 1 yr left on his contract after this season, so he will need an extension.

Pete is the oldest coach in the league.

So if the the Hawks have a bad year, it could be hard to justify giving old man Pete said extension. Paul Allen might want to press the reset button, and bring in a new coach before the CBA expires and a potential lockout happens. They are going to want to have the new guy in place before the new CBA.

That will be the scenario if a change is made.

The more likelier scenario is the Seahawks have a descent season (9-7, 10-6). Pete signs a 2-year extension taking him through 2021.

Things will get interesting, if they get off to a slow start. The pressure will be on Pete for sure.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hawks could go 3 and 13 and they would not be on the hot seat, fans would be pissed but if they have a plan then they would be safe, next year they would have to show improvement but could still miss the playoffs and not be on the hot seat.

This is not John Elway or Daniel Snyder here, Pete and John have proven when they have a plan it flows and comes to fruition, Paul will stick with them thru it.

The Mediots will put them on it, but then again, Mediots.

Fade

Reaction score
chris98251":1qujyast said:
Hawks could go 3 and 13 and they would not be on the hot seat, fans would be pissed but if they have a plan then they would be safe, next year they would have to show improvement but could still miss the playoffs and not be on the hot seat.

This is not John Elway or Daniel Snyder here, Pete and John have proven when they have a plan it flows and comes to fruition, Paul will stick with them thru it.

So you would sign Pete to an extension in that scenario? He isn't going to coach on a 1 yr lame duck.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hot Seat--BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!, (catches breath), BWAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHA!!!!

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
RiverDog":t767xt7m said:
Had Pete and John not accepted the fact that ever since the ending of SB 49 that our team had been on a steady slide towards mediocrity

Yeah, two more seasons making the playoffs really set off alarm bells in a coach's head.

And spare me the fallacy about Seattle falling short of some lofty tier of terrifying, Patriots-like domination that a team has to maintain week in and week out before they "deserve" to be considered a real playoff team. We didn't look like that in 2013.

chris98251

Reaction score
Fade":9ammkbwk said:
chris98251":9ammkbwk said:

So you would sign Pete to an extension in that scenario? He isn't going to coach on a 1 yr lame duck.

Pete gets the benefit of the doubt, and yes I would, they are rebuilding again even if they don't like the term, I like the O line improvement, I like the players brought in this year, wins are not tallied on the scoreboard yet but I think we are back to heading north.

Hawker8989

Reaction score
I can't believe it's come to this. Going into the 2014 postseason, I was convinced we were a dynasty in waiting. Everything has steadily declined since.

I don't want a rebuild. We have a franchise QB. You don't waste his prime.

RiverDog

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":36d1rigb said:
RiverDog":36d1rigb said:
Had Pete and John not accepted the fact that ever since the ending of SB 49 that our team had been on a steady slide towards mediocrity

Yeah, two more seasons making the playoffs really set off alarm bells in a coach's head.

And spare me the fallacy about Seattle falling short of some lofty tier of terrifying, Patriots-like domination that a team has to maintain week in and week out before they "deserve" to be considered a real playoff team. We didn't look like that in 2013.

In our two SB seasons, 2013 and 2014, we were ranked #1 in total defense. In 2015, it slipped to#2, 2016 to #5, and in 2018, all the way down to #11.

We also used to have a record number of games not having lost by more than 7 points. That stopped in Green Bay in 2015, 2 regular season games after our SB 49 appearance.

In 2013, 2014, and 2015, we ranked 4th, 1st and 3rd respectively in rushing offense. In 2016 and 2017, we finished 25th and 23rd respectively.

Those stats normally wouldn't set off alarm bells in anyone's mind, which is why Pete and John didn't start blowing up the team in 2016 when our defense "slipped" to #5 overall. But in retrospect, after getting absolutely beetch slapped at home by the Rams and failing to make the playoffs last season, it became apparent that the team had regressed and wasn't moving forward.