Are the Seahawks meeting expectations

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
We rank in the top 10 because we’re able to move the ball well, we just can’t get a TD in the red zone to save our lives. Seahawks are 25th in the red zone.
Do you think play calling is a factor in the red zone failures?

morgulon1

Reaction score
Interesting...from my perspective, the Hawks signed Geno to a contract they could get out of if maybe Richardson would have fallen. But he didn't. I'm not sure how they could have played it better. Not sure their was A QB in this draft they could have drafted that would have met the expectations your referring to. JS would draft a QB if someone was available. How would you have done it differently in hindsight?
Personally I like Seattle's method of acquiring early QB capital from other teams that are ready to dump said player. These 1st round picks come out of college with all the pedigree but they go to teams with all kinds of problems. 9 of 10 are going to struggle then the league is finished with them. A smart team can pick them up cheap and do a reclamation project . IMHO I can see Lock as their qbotf. I know many will disagree with this but it's just my thoughts.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Personally I like Seattle's method of acquiring early QB capital from other teams that are ready to dump said player. These 1st round picks come out of college with all the pedigree but they go to teams with all kinds of problems. 9 of 10 are going to struggle then the league is finished with them. A smart team can pick them up cheap and do a reclamation project . IMHO I can see Lock as their qbotf. I know many will disagree with this but it's just my thoughts.
I like Lock! a lot!

AK49Hawk

Reaction score
Good question. I have no freaking clue.
I can only assume, and assumption is the mother of all F’ups.
Probably the play calling, when we’re in the red zone it’s come to the point where we need all hands on deck. We have an “arsenal of weapons” as DK put it, we just don’t use them or we don’t know how to use what we already have.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I like Geno. I really do. I just think part of the red zone problem is due to his limitation in seeing the field once it becomes compressed. He is a long lanky guy and short on quick twitch IMO. He also seems to have trouble in the short game, although he has managed to move the chains pretty well as a rule. Anyway that is why I think Drew would do better in the red zone while Geno does fine between the twenties.

knownone

Reaction score
Seattle is 25th in red zone efficiency. They are 12th in Redzone scoring. They need to convert at a higher rate, but they're not struggling to score in the red zone.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

I don't think taking fliers on former 1st rounders is anything unique to Seattle, most teams see the value vs cheap cost of seeing if a new locker room and team dynamic/scheme will help former 1st rounder reach their potential.

Just look at how many teams guys like Clowney have played on.

Btw, I also like Lock. But he's been here two years and hasn't seriously challenged Geno for the starting job. So I can't bang the Lock drum too loud. It takes more than just a great arm to be a starting NFL QB.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Good question. I have no freaking clue.
I can only assume, and assumption is the mother of all F’ups.
Probably the play calling, when we’re in the red zone it’s come to the point where we need all hands on deck. We have an “arsenal of weapons” as DK put it, we just don’t use them or we don’t know how to use what we already have.
Good points. I have to think that Waldron doesn't throw any type of wrinkle to keep the opposition on their toes . I can call the play they're going to run. That's not good.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I don't think taking fliers on former 1st rounders is anything unique to Seattle, most teams see the value vs cheap cost of seeing if a new locker room and team dynamic/scheme will help former 1st rounder reach their potential.

Just look at how many teams guys like Clowney have played on.

Btw, I also like Lock. But he's been here two years and hasn't seriously challenged Geno for the starting job. So I can't bang the Lock drum too loud. It takes more than just a great arm to be a starting NFL QB.
I do wonder if he has gotten better. I know Carroll is loyal to Geno Smith.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Seattle is 25th in red zone efficiency. They are 12th in Redzone scoring. They need to convert at a higher rate, but they're not struggling to score in the red zone.
Are you talking about field goals vs touchdowns? Honest question.

knownone

Reaction score
Are you talking about field goals vs touchdowns? Honest question.
That's only TDs.

The distinction here is total scoring (TD only) vs. efficiency. Seattle's one of the best teams in the league at getting into the Redzone, so while they don't capitalize on every opportunity, they still score an above-average amount of TDs in the RZ.

morgulon1

Reaction score
That's only TDs.

The distinction here is total scoring (TD only) vs. efficiency. Seattle's one of the best teams in the league at getting into the Redzone, so while they don't capitalize on every opportunity, they still score an above-average amount of TDs in the RZ.
Fair enough.

That's puzzling to me personally. Maybe I'm going on what they've done as of late and it's affecting my view. It seems like they are worse (to me) than what they actually are.

I just want them to get a touchdown every time they have the ball 😂

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I do wonder if he has gotten better. I know Carroll is loyal to Geno Smith.

That's my point with the "it takes more than just a great arm."

Geno has some of the intangibles that Pete covets in a QB, and a great arm. Strength, durability, and most importantly the respect of his teammates to lead as QB.

So as fans, we can't just say "well Lock can spin the ball man!" without the other parts of a starting QB equation that I mentioned above. You can get away with comparing just the tangibles with most other positions, but QB you need more than just a great arm.

NFL history is littered with QB's that washed out of the league with amazing physical attributes, but terrible intangibles.

morgulon1

Reaction score

Geno has some of the intangibles that Pete covets in a QB, and a great arm. Strength, durability, and most importantly the respect of his teammates to lead as QB.

So as fans, we can't just say "well Lock can spin the ball man!" without the other parts of a starting QB equation that I mentioned above. You can get away with comparing just the tangibles with most other positions, but QB you need more than just a great arm.

NFL history is littered with QB's that washed out of the league with amazing physical attributes, but terrible intangibles.
* Geoff George

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
* Geoff George

Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell, Manziel..................

So yeah, I'm not married to Geno. But if you make the switch to Lock? You aren't just making a QB switch, you're opening up a GIANT Pandora's Box of locker room division. How many players, including most of the team leaders in that locker room do you think would be cool with this move?

My guess is not many. If any at all. Might have a full blown mutiny on your hands. They love Geno.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score

To add to this point, we haven't had the opportunity to really draft a blue chip QB prospect.

There is an old saying that goes like this "the most popular person on any given NFL team is the backup QB".

I do not believe that Lock is an upgrade over Geno. Lock has a history of not protecting the football and generating inconsistent offenses, which is what people criticize Geno for. Even in the preseason we've seen him miss diagnose obvious blitzes and not adjust protection at the LOS.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Imagine if Hawks were 12th in both categories. I bet they could score 30 ppg.

I wish I had the answer to this question: “What % do they run the ball on first and goal inside the 10-yd line?” Seems to me that’s a wasted down most of the time, but I might be wrong.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
In my mind, absolutely. I never thought this was a SB caliber team. 9-10 wins while redeveloping the culture, playing young guys, learning to win together. It has been a great year.

hoxrox

Reaction score
This is a little bit misleading because they get to the redzone more than other teams do, therefore redzone scoring would rank higher than other teams.

The conversion rate in the redzone is what ultimately matters.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
In my mind, absolutely. I never thought this was a SB caliber team. 9-10 wins while redeveloping the culture, playing young guys, learning to win together. It has been a great year.
You can win 9-10 games and the Super Bowl.