Are you for or against the Seahawks 3-4 defense?

What say you?

• Keep it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Throw it in the trash!

Votes: 31 100.0%

• Total voters

calinator

Reaction score
https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1619...seahawks-changing-to-3-4-impact-on-secondary/

That is an old article from 2 seasons ago explaining why they moved to the 3-4. QB's don't seem to be confused at all by it being ranked near the last in 3rd down conversions and our run defense is getting ran over like nothing. Could this scheme be really good with better players? Is it the players fault? How much blame do you give Clint Hurtt? Really only 3 maybe 4 players on this defense showed any worth this year.

12forlife

Reaction score
I feel they need to move off the 3-4, and they also need to get rid of Hurtt asap!

Chevy

Reaction score
If we were a pass first offense and our 3-4 defense was top-8 in QB pressures and top-10 sacks, then yes keep the 3-4. But we are horrible in QB pressures and horrible vs the run. So let's get back to the 4-3 and at least be good against the run. I think a 3-4 defense has to have an amazing d-coordinator for it to be successful.

bileever

Reaction score
Half the teams in the NFL run the 3-4 scheme. Some of them are very good defenses, including the Packers, the Rams, the Ravens, the Bucs and the Broncos. So it's not the scheme that's the problem, but its execution.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
If they actually ran a 3-4 this might be a discussion. They ran a 2-4 for most downs.

I’d like to see a true 3-4 or 3-3 front.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
It's a misnomer that Seattle runs a 3-4. Sure, 3-4 is considered or "base" defense but in reality it's less than 25 percent of the time. The Seahawks are mostly in a 2-4-5 formation of some sort like someone else mentioned. In this formation it means that we have only two lineman in on any given down. In place of the DE's, in this formation we run two stand up linebackers in place of the two DE's traditionally found on a 4-3 front.

In today's modern NFL, you see 3-4 and 4-3 employed very rarely among NFL teams as a base. Many times you're going to be seeing some variation of 3-3-5 or 2-4-5 front being ran. The Seahawks were actually one of the last teams in the NFL to switch exclusively to this type of front. In 2021, we ran more base defense than any team in the NFL not named the Jaguars.

This formations main benefit is that it provides more flexibility and speed at any given point in the game. When ran right, modern NFL offenses are struggling with this style of defense. It also provides an extra benefit of being able to disguise what is being ran.

The formation isn't the issue here, the implementation is the problem.

This formation has a huge downside, if your linebackers, D-Line and secondary don't stay disciplined, it's easy to exploit, particularly in the run game. The Seahawks lack discipline and they don't do important things such as maintain gap integrity. All of these things are down how we've implemented this defense on the team and the coaching.

The Seahawks huge mistake was our DT's. If you're playing a 2-4-5 defense, normally you need a guy that is going to eat space. We don't have that player on our team. In this defense a lot of pressure is put onto the linebackers and secondary to fill that gap.

The way we've constructed the defensive line on this team leaves me perplexed if running the 2-4-5 front is the goal. Clint Hurtt and Pete Carroll have failed miserably in the implementation.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
It's a misnomer that Seattle runs a 3-4. Sure, 3-4 is considered or "base" defense but in reality it's less than 25 percent of the time. The Seahawks are mostly in a 2-4-5 formation of some sort like someone else mentioned. In this formation it means that we have only two lineman in on any given down. In place of the DE's, in this formation we run two stand up linebackers in place of the two DE's traditionally found on a 4-3 front.

In today's modern NFL, you see 3-4 and 4-3 employed very rarely among NFL teams as a base. Many times you're going to be seeing some variation of 3-3-5 or 2-4-5 front being ran. The Seahawks were actually one of the last teams in the NFL to switch exclusively to this type of front. In 2021, we ran more base defense than any team in the NFL not named the Jaguars.

This formations main benefit is that it provides more flexibility and speed at any given point in the game. When ran right, modern NFL offenses are struggling with this style of defense. It also provides an extra benefit of being able to disguise what is being ran.

The formation isn't the issue here, the implementation is the problem.

This formation has a huge downside, if your linebackers, D-Line and secondary don't stay disciplined, it's easy to exploit, particularly in the run game. The Seahawks lack discipline and they don't do important things such as maintain gap integrity. All of these things are down how we've implemented this defense on the team and the coaching.

The Seahawks huge mistake was our DT's. If you're playing a 2-4-5 defense, normally you need a guy that is going to eat space. We don't have that player on our team. In this defense a lot of pressure is put onto the linebackers and secondary to fill that gap.

The way we've constructed the defensive line on this team leaves me perplexed if running the 2-4-5 front is the goal. Clint Hurtt and Pete Carroll have failed miserably in the implementation.
I think most of the guys call the base a 4-2-5 these days. I'm not sound enough in my mastery of alignment to neg the specifics, but that's what the film guys are saying at least.

Would love to see some more bear front return.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I think most of the guys call the base a 4-2-5 these days. I'm not sound enough in my mastery of alignment to neg the specifics, but that's what the film guys are saying at least.

Would love to see some more bear front return.
I've seen us run a lot of 4-2-5 as well, you could be right. I saw a lot of that towards the end of the season with Bush being put out there as an extra safety of sort. The so called "big nickel".

olyfan63

Reaction score
The 3-4, or 2-4-5, or 4-3, or whatever, it's all good, it works in theory, UNTIL...
TRENT WILLIAMS THROWS YOUR DT, DE, AND LB ASIDE like rag dolls and McCaffrey or Deebo is 10 yards downfield before contact. Formation is irrelevant BS if you're constantly getting physically manhandled. So Watt's needed to deal with this? Yes, or a Hutchinson or a peak Donald or Roquan or two.

We need more beef and speed and athletic talent in that front 7. Uchenna was our DAWG and when we lost him, our D just wasn't as good. Maybe a healthy Uchenna and some redshirt standouts and a thumper rookie or two would help.

Wolfiegrrl

Reaction score
Whatever this crap was that Clint Hurtt & Pete put out there every week needs to go. The defensive coaching staff isn't getting the job done. Discipline on the field starts in practice. Watching this team try to shoulder tackle after having the wrong angle was painful. The defense looked like a bad 4-A high school team.

Witherspoon was a bright spot. Uchenna was great and losing him hurt. Leo Williams did well for his position. I hope we can re-sign him, but money is gonna be tight.