Atlanta Falcons: Paper Tigers?

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I love the honesty in this thread. Precisely what I was looking for, not blind RAH-RAH. Perhaps I have been tainted by the lack of media coverage. Not really sure. It's simply my perception is all.

Hope the Hawks prove my perception correct.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
The Falcons have had one of the easiest schedules this year, haven't really beaten anyone impressive, and also have lost / been close to losing to some fairly bottom feeder teams...

The Seahawks by contrast have had one of the hardest schedules and with that a number of marquee type wins.

It's going to be hard for the Falcons to win if they can't stop Lynch.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
Oh, and I also think our team will be more physical than they are expecting...

RiggoReincarnated

Reaction score
BocciHawk":159fuv4y said:
The Falcons have had one of the easiest schedules this year, haven't really beaten anyone impressive, and also have lost / been close to losing to some fairly bottom feeder teams...

The Seahawks by contrast have had one of the hardest schedules and with that a number of marquee type wins.

It's going to be hard for the Falcons to win if they can't stop Lynch.

34-0 over the Giants (even if the Giants weren't that good this year) is pretty impressive.

HawkRedhooker

Reaction score
kmedic":1vl25g28 said:
I think this game is more than just about the Hawks for them. This is a "mini Super Bowl" for them. They have built this stigma that they can't win a playoff game, even at home. They have great motivation to get this monkey off their back. It kinda reminds me of the '05 Hawks team when the Skins came to town- remember the Hawks hadn't won a playoff game under Holmgren until that point and this was talked about a lot leading up to the game.

I was thinking the same thing. I worry that we have the impression the media is giving us and it reminds me a lot of the Seahawk talk of '05. Hopefully the team gears up even more for the #1 seed after beating the #4 seed.

MANUNITED23

Reaction score
Falcons played the easiest schedule. They do have a good offense but I wouldn't call them great just yet. I strongly believe that Pats and Packers have greater offense. Anyways, I feel very confident that this team is more than capable of defeating them in ATL.

HawkWow

Reaction score
BWRyan":3rvd14r5 said:
I'm worried about Gonzalez. This D does a poor job defending TE's and RB's out of the backfield IMO.

This is my biggest (if only) concern as well. Especially with Clemons (most likely) out. The recent speculation has been "Pete is likely holding back some blitz packages, saving them for the play offs". Well, it's go time. Pete needs to dial-up something. It don't have to be overly exotic, but if we can't get pressure on Ryan, I think he and Tony are going to find success. I hate it when that happens.

SirTed

Reaction score
HawkWow":155kn1hb said:
BWRyan":155kn1hb said:
I'm worried about Gonzalez. This D does a poor job defending TE's and RB's out of the backfield IMO.

This is my biggest (if only) concern as well. Especially with Clemons (most likely) out. The recent speculation has been "Pete is likely holding back some blitz packages, saving them for the play offs". Well, it's go time. Pete needs to dial-up something. It don't have to be overly exotic, but if we can't get pressure on Ryan, I think he and Tony are going to find success. I hate it when that happens.

Gonzo is not my biggest concern. I have no idea how we handle both Jones and White on the outside. Of our 2 corners, Sherman is the better cover guy, so which WR do you put him on?

I'm one of the biggest BB fans on this board, and I have a hard time imagining him matching up particularly well with either Julio Jones or White. Jones is the better athlete (which is scary) but White is more polished. Go to sleep and he'll have 12 catches before you know it. Jones is looking to beat you over the top, a particular weakness of our CB's.

Not saying it's impossible, but it's going to be TOUGH.

On the bright side, if their run game is as bad as advertised maybe we'll find ourselves in a lot of 3rd and longs which will help us out a TON.

HawkWow

Reaction score
SirTed":3svur1zd said:
HawkWow":3svur1zd said:
BWRyan":3svur1zd said:

Gonzo is not my biggest concern. I have no idea how we handle both Jones and White on the outside. Of our 2 corners, Sherman is the better cover guy, so which WR do you put him on?

I'm one of the biggest BB fans on this board, and I have a hard time imagining him matching up particularly well with either Julio Jones or White. Jones is the better athlete (which is scary) but White is more polished. Go to sleep and he'll have 12 catches before you know it. Jones is looking to beat you over the top, a particular weakness of our CB's.

Not saying it's impossible, but it's going to be TOUGH.

On the bright side, if their run game is as bad as advertised maybe we'll find ourselves in a lot of 3rd and longs which will help us out a TON.

You make excellent points but I am less comfortable on 3rd and longs than 3rd and short to medium. I fear Gonzo on those plays in particular. One of the odd things about this year and our vaunted pass D. Crazy how many big 3rd down plays we got beat on...but hey, 12 wins (and counting) and this team is just starting to get to know each other. New sheriff in town. ;)

hawker232

Reaction score
They really haven't been tested too much. They played three teams with a winning record, all the other teams were complete trash. I think they're gonna get a huge reality check when we come into town. Not saying (yet) that we'll win this game, but I do think that we have a very good chance in this ball game. If we can at least slow down their passing game, I say we win this one.

themunn

Reaction score
I think that we match up very well with the Falcons offense, we don't have to stack the box to worry about Ryan running or even Turner (I think he's decent, but handleable by our front 7 alone), which allows us to play our biggest strength against theirs - our secondary versus their pass attack, keep Kam on Gonzalez, and man coverage on their wideouts and ET helping out over the top.

Remember Arizona almost beat these guys... in Atlanta

Shadyhawk182

Reaction score
I know its not been done by them much this season but Turner mixed with there amazing TE and WR play. They could shred our defense in the same style the skins used in the first quarter. Hope the defense tightens down. I know the offense will eventually get theirs. Defense is key

Throwdown

Reaction score
We come out flat again, its the end of the line for us.

Atlanta is no joke at all, this might be the realest test we'll have, we pass this? skies the limit for us.

bigdaddydave

Reaction score
We need to be giving more credit to Matt Ryan. When he has time to throw, he is absolutely dangerous and will not make mistakes.

It's going to be a very tough game.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
The Falcons are finesse. We will punch them in the mouth a few times and the won't get up.

The Grouch

Reaction score
bigdaddydave":1caaol5y said:
We need to be giving more credit to Matt Ryan. When he has time to throw, he is absolutely dangerous and will not make mistakes.

It's going to be a very tough game.

This is the key to the game... I doubt it's gonna be decided by more than 4 points. We NEED to generate a pass rush.
Seems like a 27-24 type of game to me... or maybe 30-27.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
The Falcons WILL pile it on if we don't come out screaming and are flat like this week. Very little room for error against a team that can score like Atlanta can. They might not have the best D, but they can win a shootout.

Latest posts