Attorney-Seahawks CB Quinton Dunbar wasn't at alleged robery

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Avoiding NFL suspensions is the part I am discussing.

It hardly matters to us if he avoids jail but cannot play for us. (I suppose on a human level it matters but as a fan, what matters is what happens on the field).

The concern is the circumstances where he cannot play for significant # of games, regardless of reason.

TAB420

Reaction score
ducks41468":1duua44d said:
Cyrus12":1duua44d said:
Just pay off who he has to to make it go away..Rapistberger style. Problem solved.

Already done. He was obviously involved in the robbery and got the benefit of some smart lawyering
Please provide the link where you uptained this "obvious" information of him being involved in the robbery. None of us has read this yet.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1t461yri said:
Exactly.

Dunbar is going to have to prove he wasn't involved. And he is going to have to prove this beyond a reasonable doubt.

The very circumstance where some of our own fans are speculating on whether he paid these witnesses off to recant their statements, does not bode well for us. It isn't hopeless, but it is going to be an uphill climb for him.

NFL players need to realize that they are targets at all times. And that they will always be at risk to be under the microscope. Just because they 'can' legally do something, does not mean it is not a huge risk to them.

Wrongdoing is not enough, because the very perception of wrongdoing is enough to delay or negatively impact your playing opportunities.
They should be able to track him via his cell phone pings and the location of said cell phone signal towers.
If he is truly innocent and not there, his attorney should be all over that.

olyfan63

Reaction score
TAB420":20o278gy said:
ducks41468":20o278gy said:
Cyrus12":20o278gy said:
Just pay off who he has to to make it go away..Rapistberger style. Problem solved.

Already done. He was obviously involved in the robbery and got the benefit of some smart lawyering
Please provide the link where you uptained this "obvious" information of him being involved in the robbery. None of us has read this yet.

There are multiple issues with the whole scenario. I believe it was Chris98251 who pointed out that nearly 2 hours elapsed between the alleged time of the robbery, and the call to police.

Should be interesting, what we learn as all this plays out. For someone like Dunbar with no record (so we're told) it would certainly make no sense. But maybe Dunbar is just a newbie at this whole armed robbery thing, and this is what it looks like when an incompetent, untrained criminal tries his first robbery? After all, Dunbar has no record. It's not like he spent 5-10 in the pen learning and being mentored by hardened criminals. :sarcasm_off:

Dunbar being involved in a real armed robbery for pocket change (from multimillionaire perspective) is beyond comprehension. NFL players, by and large, are pretty smart dudes. Have to believe that Pete and John vetted Dunbar's character traits, on some level, as part of the trade. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Nunya

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":fsgtpvkw said:
Good point on the NFL Suspensions. Reed was never arrested and he got 6 games.

Reed was suspended over a domestic violence issue. I assume no charges were filed because the victim did not wish to. I am also assuming that Reed admitted to the incident when he was questioned by the league. I am not aware that he ever denied the incident itself. The league takes domestic violence seriously (and they should) since the Ray Rice incident and the backlash they received. I don't think there will be much backlash over this incident. If Dunbar is not proven to have been involved and charges are dropped, I expect the league would just rather have the issue disappear.

EDIT: Reading up on this incident, I see Washington State has a mandatory arrest law for domestic abuse....whether the victim presses charges or not. I'm guessing there is much more to this incident than what was released to the public.

sutz

Reaction score
Nunya":l03hzyir said:
SoulfishHawk":l03hzyir said:

Reed was suspended over a domestic violence issue. I assume no charges were filed because the victim did not wish to. I am also assuming that Reed admitted to the incident when he was questioned by the league. I am not aware that he ever denied the incident itself. The league takes domestic violence seriously (and they should) since the Ray Rice incident and the backlash they received. I don't think there will be much backlash over this incident. If Dunbar is not proven to have been involved and charges are dropped, I expect the league would just rather have the issue disappear.

EDIT: Reading up on this incident, I see Washington State has a mandatory arrest law for domestic abuse....whether the victim presses charges or not. I'm guessing there is much more to this incident than what was released to the public.
Well, the incident happened in Florida, so WA law wouldn't apply.

There is almost always "more to" an incident like this than is released to the public. It's why I generally don't comment much on these threads until at least a few days later, if not weeks.

Nunya

Reaction score
sutz":gspvmaa5 said:
Nunya":gspvmaa5 said:
SoulfishHawk":gspvmaa5 said:

There is almost always "more to" an incident like this than is released to the public. It's why I generally don't comment much on these threads until at least a few days later, if not weeks.

I believe it happened in Bellevue.

"The case was under consideration by the City of Bellevue prosecutor’s office for fourth-degree assault. Fourth-degree assault in Washington is a gross misdemeanor."

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/5/8/155 ... estigation

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":tfjypmbc said:
TwistedHusky":tfjypmbc said:
Exactly.

Dunbar is going to have to prove he wasn't involved. And he is going to have to prove this beyond a reasonable doubt.

The very circumstance where some of our own fans are speculating on whether he paid these witnesses off to recant their statements, does not bode well for us. It isn't hopeless, but it is going to be an uphill climb for him.

NFL players need to realize that they are targets at all times. And that they will always be at risk to be under the microscope. Just because they 'can' legally do something, does not mean it is not a huge risk to them.

Wrongdoing is not enough, because the very perception of wrongdoing is enough to delay or negatively impact your playing opportunities.
They should be able to track him via his cell phone pings and the location of said cell phone signal towers.
If he is truly innocent and not there, his attorney should be all over that.

Unless the robbery happened inside the structure, and he was outside of the structure.

But like you say, if he was nowhere near the party, then cell phone tracking could be beneficial.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Sounds like DeAndre Baker is the bad guy here. Problems in college, skipped workouts, last year was called out by his Coach and Team because he stopped running during coverage, then got benched.

Of course the Giants GM traded up to get him the 1st round... :34853_doh:

The Giants ignored red flags uncovered in scouting Baker and placed a bet on talent by selecting the cornerback in the first round of the 2019 NFL Draft despite an organizational split on whether he was worth the risk.

“There was a battle in our building on whether we were going to take DeAndre or not,” a source privy to the Giants’ draft thinking told The Post, “because the story was he had to have his a– kicked every day to work hard at Georgia — to even go to practice. We knew that and we still drafted him

https://nypost.com/2020/05/15/deandre-b ... ft-battle/

LOL! Giants traded BACK in to the 1st round to get this loser!

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Sounds like DeAndre Baker is the bad guy here. Problems in college, skipped workouts, last year was called out by his Coach and Team because he stopped running during coverage, then got benched.

Of course the Giants GM traded up to get him the 1st round... :34853_doh:

The Giants ignored red flags uncovered in scouting Baker and placed a bet on talent by selecting the cornerback in the first round of the 2019 NFL Draft despite an organizational split on whether he was worth the risk.

“There was a battle in our building on whether we were going to take DeAndre or not,” a source privy to the Giants’ draft thinking told The Post, “because the story was he had to have his a– kicked every day to work hard at Georgia — to even go to practice. We knew that and we still drafted him

https://nypost.com/2020/05/15/deandre-b ... ft-battle/

When the New York Giants traded back into the first round in last year’s NFL Draft to select Georgia cornerback DeAndre Baker, many criticized the deal.

The Giants held the 37th pick in Round 2 and forked that over to the Seattle Seahawks along with a fourth round pick (No. 132) and a fifth rounder (No. 142) in exchange for the 30th overall selection, which they used to take Baker.

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2020/05 ... nfl-draft/

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
JOHN CLAYTON -- Hour 1 - ESPN's Jordan Raanan on the differences between the Quinton Dunbar and DeAndre Baker cases

Are more states open to hosting professional sports in the near future? What's the latest news on Quinton Dunbar's case? John Clayton unpacks it all in Tuesday's Top Five.

ESPN's Jordan Raanan stops by to give a DeAndre Baker viewpoint of the investigation and how it differs from Dunbar's.

Mariners Insider Shannon Drayer joins the show to give insight on MLB's 67-page memo on how they plan to return to action.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/category ... hn+Clayton

sutz

Reaction score
Nunya":j2ff0y0r said:
sutz":j2ff0y0r said:
Nunya":j2ff0y0r said:
SoulfishHawk":j2ff0y0r said:

I believe it happened in Bellevue.

"The case was under consideration by the City of Bellevue prosecutor’s office for fourth-degree assault. Fourth-degree assault in Washington is a gross misdemeanor."

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/5/8/155 ... estigation
My bad. :oops: I was referring to the Dunbar incident.

Carry on. :)

xray

Reaction score
Released on bond doesn't mean catch and release does it ? Asking for a friend . :D

olyfan63

Reaction score
ivotuk":deoa5zn5 said:
When the New York Giants traded back into the first round in last year’s NFL Draft to select Georgia cornerback DeAndre Baker, many criticized the deal.

The Giants held the 37th pick in Round 2 and forked that over to the Seattle Seahawks along with a fourth round pick (No. 132) and a fifth rounder (No. 142) in exchange for the 30th overall selection, which they used to take Baker.

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2020/05 ... nfl-draft/

Fascinating. Thanks for the tip, Ivotuk! DeAndre Baker was actually a Seahawks draft (slot) pick!!
We got #142, Ben Burr-Kirven from it.
More importantly, we got D.K. Metcalf as a (somewhat) direct result of the pick we traded to the Giants! (which they used for DeAndre Baker)

So it's a bit muddled, but we traded a couple picks to the Patriots, including a 3rd rounder, #77 that was one (downstream) outcome of the pick swap with the Giants. To untangle, see: https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/n ... 66804.html

Seattle clearly got the better of that draft pick trade. DK, All Day!!

Hawkpower

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2pn7lcao said:
Avoiding NFL suspensions is the part I am discussing.

It hardly matters to us if he avoids jail but cannot play for us. (I suppose on a human level it matters but as a fan, what matters is what happens on the field).

The concern is the circumstances where he cannot play for significant # of games, regardless of reason.

I know you've been pushing this narrative the last few days, however:

Do we have solid for sure evidence that the NFL, in the past, has suspended a player that-

A. Maintains his complete innocence
B. Was not able to be convicted criminally due to insufficient evidence/reasonable doubt, etc

If that was the case, NFL players could be wrongly accused at any time and lose out on playing time and big money. Surely that wouldnt stand. What would be the NFL's justification for punishing a player that did no wrong in the eyes of a courtroom?

Again maybe there are case examples. I just wonder if the ones we are thinking of off the top of our heads (Reed for example) have more details than we realize behind the scenes.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
If I were going to use the "he wasn't there" tact that would have been the FIRST thing I said. Seems suspicious that we get to that point AFTER a denial statement of "yeah, but he didn't have a gun and those who said he did now say he didn't".

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Appyhawk":1laqp9tj said:
If I were going to use the "he wasn't there" tact that would have been the FIRST thing I said. Seems suspicious that we get to that point AFTER a denial statement of "yeah, but he didn't have a gun and those who said he did now say he didn't".

That's what good defense lawyers do, they muddy all the evidence by publicly denying every angle that the prosecutor could try to go with this case.

- he was there but didn't take part in the crime
- he was there but left before the crime
- he wasn't there at all
- he and Baker barely knew each other
- here's our signed witness affidavits

Now the prosecutor has to pick one scenario that's already been publicly denied and try to cobble together a case with hostile witnesses that are recanting their original statements.

So unless someone pulled out their phone and took video of this, which is highly unlikely considering these were all not so great individuals who I think one was a known criminal..........then idk how the prosecutor's office can proceed with the case. He needs credible witnesses that aren't going to change their stories, of which most of them already have.