Austin Davis being hired as Auburn OC

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Tomas_Verde/status/1471188078702309376[/tweet]

sdog1981

Reaction score
Is this real? This is actually shocking. Why would a team want a guy to be their OC after his position group was one of the worst in the NFL? Austin Davis also has 0 ties to the SEC.

Rat

Reaction score
I'm going to be honest and admit that I completely forgot he was still involved with this organization. Good for him though; I was really high on him going into his draft, and I liked him as a backup here. That's a nice jump to an SEC OC.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
sdog1981":33sdyhqj said:
Is this real? This is actually shocking. Why would a team want a guy to be their OC after his position group was one of the worst in the NFL? Austin Davis also has 0 ties to the SEC.

Russ took a downturn, but Geno Smith played impressively in relief.

He also coached through the Let Russ Cook era of 2020.

Rat

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":398krtte said:
Geno Smith played impressively in relief.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You must be easy to impress. Geno was hot trash outside of a home game against a 2-11 Jaguars team that ranks 31st in offensive ppg 27th defensively, and has been outscored 57-7 in their last two games. Davis could have suited up himself and we still win that outing going away.

Good for Davis on his new job, but anyone who considers Geno a success story for him is deluding themselves.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Rat":lj12z2ks said:
Maelstrom787":lj12z2ks said:
Geno Smith played impressively in relief.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You must be easy to impress. Geno was hot trash outside of a home game against a 2-11 Jaguars team that ranks 31st in offensive ppg 27th defensively, and has been outscored 57-7 in their last two games. Davis could have suited up himself and we still win that outing going away.

Good for Davis on his new job, but anyone who considers Geno a success story for him is deluding themselves.

Famously massive bust comes in and plays efficient football, backed by the stats, and keeps the offense running close to the level it was prior to the starter going out.

The hell do you think a backup is supposed to do?

103 rating. 5TD/1INT.

I'm not saying Geno played like Dan Marino, FFS.

Rat

Reaction score
If Geno had been running the offense "close" to Russ, we wouldn't have been forced to rush our franchise QB back onto the field when he clearly wasn't ready.

Geno seems like a decent guy. I'll be the first to give him his due if he starts balling out for someone, but that doesn't change the fact that he's a 7th year player with more than 40 career starts, yet the offense has to be scaled way back for him. He looked like a guy who was thrown into action for the first time.

I dont blame that on Davis though. You can only do so much for someone who just doesnt have it between the ears.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. This is a huge win for Austin Davis. Just shocking that it is Auburn and not Ball State where he played in college.

Rat

Reaction score
sdog1981":10qss0n8 said:
Don't get me wrong. This is a huge win for Austin Davis. Just shocking that it is Auburn and not Ball State where he played in college.

He went to Southern Miss.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Rat":3ij6h2wg said:
If Geno had been running the offense "close" to Russ, we wouldn't have been forced to rush our franchise QB back onto the field when he clearly wasn't ready.

Geno seems like a decent guy. I'll be the first to give him his due if he starts balling out for someone, but that doesn't change the fact that he's a 7th year player with more than 40 career starts, yet the offense has to be scaled way back for him. He looked like a guy who was thrown into action for the first time.

I dont blame that on Davis though. You can only do so much for someone who just doesnt have it between the ears.

I agree that Geno is a significantly flawed player.

I just think that the performances the team got out of him far exceed what would've been reasonable to expect from him given his track record, which reflects positively on Davis as a coach.

His flaws were mitigated. Turnover machine? 2 turnovers in 4 games - one not being his fault. Erratic passer? They brought small ball to the offense to allow him to be efficient.

I don't think it's a slam dunk hire for Auburn, but I don't think Davis is a bad coach by any means. Indications are that he actually did well with how he coached Geno up.

PS: I know the profile picture probably makes me look like a Geno fanatic, but I'm not all that tied to him, truth be told.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Rat":18y51h43 said:

Also, I find this point somewhat objectionable. Russ is the franchise guy. If he wants to come back, I think you gotta let him rather than piss him off. He's got significant sway.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Like any franchise QB, he should have say in who his QB coach is. If he does, people will call him a diva, selfish etc.
If Lord Rodgers or Brady have a choice of QB coaches "well, they should"

Jville

Reaction score
Returning to the actual topic ...........................

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AuburnFootball/status/1472291528722862083[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AuburnFootball/status/1472300233187078156[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AuburnFootball/status/1472321513110089729[/tweet]

............................................ congratulations Austin !