Austin Seferian-Jenkins says Marquise Lee should be Seahawk

johnnyfever

Reaction score
adeltaY":2ur0tq70 said:
He's also much younger than Graham. I have no idea what happened to Graham between the 20s this year. He was tearing it up last year and I figured he'd be healthier this year but it just didn't work out.

I think it is a couple things.

For one, while bevell was getting better at designing plays for his strengths, he was still not good at getting the matchups to use Jimmy's stongest play, which is the block out turn and catch. We did it quite a bit in the endzone this year, but bev seemed to have him on running crosses a lot where jimmys lack of speed was a weakness. It allowed defenses to jump his routes and block the pass or intercept it. Put Jimmy in the position on stop routes when the defense bitzed and he could block out the lone defender covering him and use his body and size to make the catch.

Secondly, I think Jimmy became gunshy of getting smashed in the middle. He took some brutal hits and I'm sure it was on his mind when between the 20's. He is not a young buck anymore.

I'm not very familiar with ASJ's play, but if cheap enough and we end up not being able to afford Jimmy then he might be a good contender for a 1 year prove it deal. With the unknowns we have with coaches this year, it might be a good idea to see if we can find some of the guys like lynch and bennett that weren't stellar before they got here. If they don't work out, no cap hit in 2019 if you cut them. The next couple years we will be riding the cap so we have to be careful about expensive deals with guys who might be aging out.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":2bzoqkcn said:
Bigpumpkin":2bzoqkcn said:
I think Graham is the better overall player of the two.

Gotta say I agree with you there, Bud!

I haven't heard anyone disagree with this.

I think it comes down to:1-can we afford Jimmy and still have the resources for the other positions we need to spend on

and
2-Will ASJ be servicable in that position for the money and possibly allow us to invest in other areas that will have a greater impact on win percentage?

I don't know much about ASJ, so I can't make a judgement on if he is servicable or not. What I am concerned with is spending a bunch of our literally non existent cap space on a luxury item. If we think Jimmy is one of the pieces absolutely necessary, then do it. I personally like him, but see other areas that need the money first as we rarely use him efficiently, and he is really more of a huge receiver than he is a complete TE. If they could figure out a way to address our other positions and Jimmy is willing to ink a team friendly deal, at least in the short term until we dig ourselves out of our cap issues, then I say we keep him. Just seems like it will be a tough deal to get done. Maybe use him as trade fodder to gain other positions and picks. I just want whatever gives us the best chance to bring home another Lombardi.