Avril Hit on Romo...

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":179bk5nw said:
dogorama":179bk5nw said:
If you go back and really look at the hit it wasn't necessarily the ferocity of the hit but the position he was in. He had started to slide and his legs were a little out in front of him. He got jack-knifed, for lack of a better term. Never want to see anyone get hurt, that doesn't show any class.
Right, he went into a slide to avoid the LB (it was either KJ or Wagner about to cream him) and he didn't realize that Cliff was closing fast from behind. That was NOT a dirty hit, it was an accidental situation.

I think it was the other LB, probably KJ, who shoved and then jumped damn near over Zeke, that caused Romo to freak out and bail out in the first place and to then try take advantage by moving forward and left up behind it. Zeke got overmatched there, his missed block was in large part responsible for what could turn out to be the last play of Romo's amazing career.

The TD from Zak to Witten would have been an INT by KJ, had Witten not bumped him in the back sending KJ to the ground. Zak won't save Dallas.

It looked like KJ did not jump over Zeke, Zeke cut block him and that's why he flew up in the air, luckily KJ was not hurt from it. Sad story for Romo, it was a clean hit, he might of been safe taking the sack in the pocket. Cowboys will be in better shape than last year, Dak, Elliot, and Bryant might be enough to at least get them to the playoffs. Especially Dak and Elliot barely having any real NFL game tape on them.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
It was a clean hit but it was just unlucky timing. I agree Romo eeds to retire for his own sake but luckily for the Cowboys they got a capable replacement in Dak.

Megatron

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":2qp2bxz3 said:
kearly":2qp2bxz3 said:
Romo landed awkwardly on his butt on a failed slide and you could tell live that it compressed his lower back. Maybe it's because I've had lower back injuries but it looked real bad in real time to me. I was shocked when they said Romo would have gone back in during a real game.

Avril didn't really cause the injury at all. Romo took a lousy slide, and had a bad back to begin with, most likely.

I looked at it again on youtube....and as I saw it, he landed on his leg/foot. Timing on Avrils hit was perfect to cause the push down to be increased by a small measure.

[youtube]ngmWpW2xrrg[/youtube]

It is less than a minute in this postgame report by dallas announsers....

The hit was Clean.....The break is probably a compound fracture rather than a minor partial fracture. Broken bones heal faster than bruised ones. I know, I had 2 broken ribs one time from full contact racketball. We did not wake up the idiot doc to take xrays so the morning idiot doc did not see anything when we did them 8 hours later. Just wear a pad and go back to work you slacker. I would have hit that capt if I was a little bit angrier and had an attitude like I have now. he he he. :smilingalien:

ESPN, NFL.com, and several other news agencies are reporting it is a compression fracture of the L1 vertebral body, basically the vertebral body got mashed. It usually happens in old people with osteoporosis. A compound fracture requires the broken bone to protrude through the skin, very highly unlikely for a vertebral body fracture. No surgery is typically done for a compression fracture unless it causes instability, spinal nerve compression, or spinal cord compression (typically ends at L1 or L2 vertebral bodies). There are procedures that can be done to augment the vertebral body, but these procedures are reserved for people with constant pain due to the fracture. The fact that the Cowboys do not indicate he is going to have surgery likely indicates he is not having any nerve problems. They are just going to rest him and put him in a brace if/when he comes back. There are many types of vertebral body fractures, most minor ones do not require surgery, but I have seen some pretty bad ones from trauma, usually car accidents or something similar.

BTW it does not matter if you had the X-ray done immediately or eight hours later for your broken ribs, they are very hard to see if they are non-displaced. If the doctor reading your x-ray was not a radiologist, the chances of seeing them decreases greatly. They are typically much easier to see on CT than X-ray, but your situation did not call for one. Now if you waited six to eight weeks to get the get X-ray, they would been obvious because a bony callous would be seen around the healing fractures.

253hawk

Reaction score
That could have happened to anyone. Going for a slide and suddenly having an extra 260 lbs helping your perpendicular spine into the ground...most guys are gonna feel that one.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Megatron":32s55g1w said:
Seahawkfan80":32s55g1w said:
kearly":32s55g1w said:
Romo landed awkwardly on his butt on a failed slide and you could tell live that it compressed his lower back. Maybe it's because I've had lower back injuries but it looked real bad in real time to me. I was shocked when they said Romo would have gone back in during a real game.

Avril didn't really cause the injury at all. Romo took a lousy slide, and had a bad back to begin with, most likely.

I looked at it again on youtube....and as I saw it, he landed on his leg/foot. Timing on Avrils hit was perfect to cause the push down to be increased by a small measure.

[youtube]ngmWpW2xrrg[/youtube]

It is less than a minute in this postgame report by dallas announsers....

The hit was Clean.....The break is probably a compound fracture rather than a minor partial fracture. Broken bones heal faster than bruised ones. I know, I had 2 broken ribs one time from full contact racketball. We did not wake up the idiot doc to take xrays so the morning idiot doc did not see anything when we did them 8 hours later. Just wear a pad and go back to work you slacker. I would have hit that capt if I was a little bit angrier and had an attitude like I have now. he he he. :smilingalien:

ESPN, NFL.com, and several other news agencies are reporting it is a compression fracture of the L1 vertebral body, basically the vertebral body got mashed. It usually happens in old people with osteoporosis. A compound fracture requires the broken bone to protrude through the skin, very highly unlikely for a vertebral body fracture. No surgery is typically done for a compression fracture unless it causes instability, spinal nerve compression, or spinal cord compression (typically ends at L1 or L2 vertebral bodies). There are procedures that can be done to augment the vertebral body, but these procedures are reserved for people with constant pain due to the fracture. The fact that the Cowboys do not indicate he is going to have surgery likely indicates he is not having any nerve problems. They are just going to rest him and put him in a brace if/when he comes back. There are many types of vertebral body fractures, most minor ones do not require surgery, but I have seen some pretty bad ones from trauma, usually car accidents or something similar.

BTW it does not matter if you had the X-ray done immediately or eight hours later for your broken ribs, they are very hard to see if they are non-displaced. If the doctor reading your x-ray was not a radiologist, the chances of seeing them decreases greatly. They are typically much easier to see on CT than X-ray, but your situation did not call for one. Now if you waited six to eight weeks to get the get X-ray, they would been obvious because a bony callous would be seen around the healing fractures.

Thank you for the information. Those ribs are located differently...so there was something broken at the time. Again thanks. On Romo....thanks again. I had a bulge in my sciatica area. Had it removed. Only that one for my back. I dont do that work no more. I am retired...so I work a lot harder. LOL

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Speaking about back injuries, I suffered one at work and have been going to physical therapy for the last 3 months (once a week, rest of the time exercises at home), and so far have gone through 3 different pain meds that have not work for what my Doctor says is just a sprained lower back muscle. I would of thought that a lowered back strained would heal itself eventually, these Physical Therapy exercises haven't help made it any better. My Doctor insist that is what it is and nothing more according to my X-ray.

For the sake of Romo I hope he would retire. As a family man I'm pretty sure he will have that talk with his wife again for the # of times he's been injured. There comes a time where you step away from your pride and do what might be best for your family.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Atradees":1ju1fx4y said:
I like the "Dak"

If he comes out and gets them to the playoffs I think that will be a good thing for the Cowboys and their fans.
Lotta dead cap money. It was a foolish contract to offer Romo and everyone knew it. It can be a save though if they have accidentally discovered the new rare breed of QB in spite of Jones and his supposed interest Manziel. Think about it: A good oline, an all world RB, and a guy that can run the read option+ scramble...He doesnt need to complete a ton of passes....just keep Dez and Witten happy. A prescription for success.
I respectfully disagree, unless you call 8-8 or 7-9 a perscription for success.
Their defense still sucks.

Seymour

Reaction score
kearly":3mheb8ya said:

I agree. I've had a ruptured disk and knew that hit had to hurt. Poor slide angle and Avril hammer down is all it takes by age 36. Hang it up dude.

mikeak

Reaction score
I am pretty sure Mark Schleret is the one that said something along the lines of "I almost had my leg amputated, legs, arm surgery etc. what causes me the most pain to this day is the hits on the back"....

Football is a rough sport. I do not understand why some of these guys comes back after severe terrible injuries. Ok I get the minimum salary guy but the ones with $25+million in the bank account. It won't be worth it 20 years from today...

Hawkboi

Reaction score
LymonHawk":3pa5s0sr said:
Never like to hear a player get hurt...but it looks like Dallas has his replacement.

His replacement should have been Kellen Moore..... Now Kellen unfortunately is waiting and watching, when in fact he could have had his opportunity to be the starting QB for Dallas at the start of the season. I personally think Kellen was ready for the role... As a Kellen Moore supporter because of his great record at Boise State, it was sad to hear he got injured in Training Camp... Just a tough break, to say the least... :(

But, it does look like Dallas has a fairly decent replacement at this time. The hit Romo took was awkward, but didn't look like anything that should have put him out like it did... He just isn't ready for Professional Full Contact Football anymore... Not sure he'd be ready for Touch Football.... :roll: