Backup QB's you think are good..

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1t8lntwp said:
TeamoftheCentury":1t8lntwp said:
\
Not sure what to think of CK. Honestly (and I don't mean this as an insult), he would be a terror in the CFL. He's still good enough to be a quality backup in this league, but not sure he's going to be a starter again anytime soon. Maybe as a game manager for a team with a top Defense. He's a heck of an athlete, though. Just not a reliable QB.

Kaepernick has two huge problems, IMO:

1) His footwork is just atrocious. He's at a point in his career too where tearing him down to build him back up isn't as feasible as it could have been in the past. This is an area in which I think Harbaugh really failed him. As a former QB part of Harbaugh schtick is not "messing up" QBs' confidence and skills with proper technique-based teaching, and while that can work for some guys, it was really a disaster for Kaepernick. Basically a style of coaching that worked better than anyone could have expected for Alex Smith (his mechanics were always fine, he was just emotionally beaten to a pulp and too often asked to do things he simply can't do) was in the long-term really a disaster for Kaepernick.

2) I don't think he has the mental makeup to be an NFL QB. I think he's easily smart enough (that was always a stupid meme), but he's simply too emotional. You could literally see the attention and criticism get to him. Unlike even okay NFL QBs he couldn't shake off bad plays. He also shut down and retreated inward when faced with criticism, isolating himself from his teammates and his locker room. He doesn't have a smarts problem, he has an emotional maturity problem.

I'm still rooting for him to turn his career back around (regardless of where he ends up playing), but those are the two things I saw this last year.
His accuracy at times suffers too, but yeah the mental/emotional aspect is the biggest factor IMO.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Orlovsky looked like Joe Montana last preseason. He's old now but he might could Jeff Hostetler his way through some shit given the right opportunity.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":16ml9su0 said:
Orlovsky looked like Joe Montana last preseason. He's old now but he might could Jeff Hostetler his way through some shit given the right opportunity.

Damn it, Zeb. Obviously I wanted serious replies only.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
pehawk":3a7dj9zb said:
Zebulon Dak":3a7dj9zb said:

Damn it, Zeb. Obviously I wanted serious replies only.

Sorry. Matt Flynn.

kearly

Reaction score
Small sample but, BJ Daniels.

Case Keenum reminds me a lot of Jeff Garcia and Fitzmagic early in their careers.

Mike Glennon. Big Bird has played better than his opportunities would suggest.

Tical21

Reaction score
I've always kind of liked Henne. Luke McCown too.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Tical21":16yh039u said:
I've always kind of liked Henne. Luke McCown too.

Agree on Henne. McCown...not so much.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1d0ksb2i said:
CHARLIE WHITEHURST.
my thoughts as well....Was so impressed by his raw ability I travelled to Seattle to see him start vs the Bengals. What show he put on...He was so good it was unfair to the Bengals so they had to put in T Jack in the 2nd half who was injured. Bengals just squeaked out a win but Charlie said let them have it...How did we let this guy go?

Cyrus12

Reaction score
kearly":1k3rjo3u said:
Small sample but, BJ Daniels.

Case Keenum reminds me a lot of Jeff Garcia and Fitzmagic early in their careers.

Mike Glennon. Big Bird has played better than his opportunities would suggest.

are we talking pre season?

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":dudwftj2 said:
Does Brock Osweiler count?

I don't think so, but if he does then he is at the very top of my list. Definitely the most under rated QB in the league.

-bsd

DavidSeven

Reaction score
If I need one guy to win one game, you would probably have to talk me out of Derek Anderson.

I think Tarvaris, in this system, is up there too. Plays the scheme with a lot of confidence and makes every kind of throw.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3uyk0hqs said:
If I need one guy to win one game, you would probably have to talk me out of Derek Anderson.

I think Tarvaris, in this system, is up there too. Plays the scheme with a lot of confidence and makes every kind of throw.

Tarvaris is a given as far as I'm concerned. There'd be no back up I'd choose over him. I didn't mention him because hearing the "dar, 2011, he sucks, dar" makes me want to spontaneously combust.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Depends on how you measure it..but you have to put Hass in there, dont you? Did light the world on fire and got the wins against the bottom feeders of the league, but hes someone youd trust to give you a chance in games.

I liked how BJ Daniels ran the read option late pre season last year..but hes a WR now, right?
Tjack.. Id take Kaep if I needed one win against most teams. For one week you can pull out the stops with him and utilize his strengths, I think.

Agree with the first post, Napoleon Dynamite is good. I think he got a bit of a raw deal and I hope he gets a chance to start again.

peppersjap

Reaction score
Scottemojo":32vf3d3d said:
CHARLIE WHITEHURST.
" Charlie, Charlie, Charlie", I will never forget that chant echoing through the Clink. Those were sad days!

saroos

Reaction score
Chad Henne just got 8 mil for 2 years. I think TJack is going to get paid somewhere.

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2zdhdxjv said:

Good call on Anderson. He was a pretty bad QB for a while, but the past few seasons he's been like the NFL's 33rd starter.

Latest posts