Baldwin "a legit #1 WR" per FO.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Doug Baldwin.....

- Makes critical/clutch/magical receptions when we need it most
- Some people, outside of the 12s, are finally "getting it" after watching game film
- He has Percy and young blood to run routes with this season

.....Sounds fun. It's gonna be exciting to watch.

Escamillo

Reaction score
This "#1 WR" tag is lame.
When I was a kid I never heard of anyone called that. Only in the last few years have I heard of this tag. It probably came about as a result of the craze for fantasy football, as did the equally lame category "elite QB".

When the Seahawks had Largent, he was presumably their "#1", but I never heard him called that. And at the end of his career, when the Seahawks had both Largent and Blades, which one was the #1? I guess Blades was, since he led the team in receiving, so Largent was merely a "#2"? It's stupid. And the phrase "true #1" is even more stupid.

kearly

Reaction score
v1rotv2":1s0912ju said:
To me a #1 is the guy that can catch the ball when defenses are trying stop him in critical situations. The guy that in a 3rd and long when everybody on the field knows where the ball has to go to get the first down, gets open and make that clutch catch. I really don't care if teams game plan for him or not. ADB produces in those situations when it's the hardest. A #1 is the go to guy for the QB. ADB is all of that. So, yes in my mind he is a #1 WR, until somebody proves to be that guy.

We have to remember though, when Baldwin was making those plays last season he was considered our #4 WR at the start of the year behind Harvin, Rice, and Tate. Even with some of the injuries, he was typically drawing #2 and #3 corners. Had they respected him and game planned him like a #1 guy, it would have been harder to make those plays.

Late in the season Seattle faced a string of defenses that all decided to press our receivers. Pressing is very risky for all but the best secondaries, and most DC's will not risk a press against elite weapons because when the press fails or is beat, you are almost guaranteed to give up a big play. Golden Tate and Baldwin are good players, but they struggled against press and failed to punish secondaries for using this tactic. A guy with elite movement skill like Harvin or elite size like Sidney Rice would be able to punish press coverage, but Baldwin and Tate are 5'10" WRs with good but not great speed.

When Harvin returned to the lineup, you could visibly see the passing game opening up as teams were forced to respect Harvin's explosiveness. I don't think Baldwin will ever command that kind of fear or respect or open up the offense in such a way. At least, not in Seattle's current offense.

That said, every good offense should have a #2 WR like Baldwin. I look at it this way, Scottie Pippen got six rings and went to the Hall of Fame because of what Jordan's presence allowed him to do.

I think this is the reason why Baldwin is being promoted to the starting outside position, because this way you maximize the number of plays where Harvin (playing from the slot) and Baldwin are on the field at the same time. Harvin is the guy who opens things up, Baldwin will be the guy who cashes in.

seedhawk

Reaction score
I actually believe DB was given this designation because, he is smart enough and dedicated enough to learn the entire playbook for all 4, (or perhaps even 5) WR positions.

What we really want, is for all opposing DC's to have to guess just where any/all of our pieces could line up in any given situation. DB gives us unbelievable flexibility.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
sutz":3m8h21h9 said:
I've never understood the whole "#1 WR" debate. And please don't bother me with your opinion on the matter. Kip explained it well enough above, but still....

Our offense doesn't really need a superstar WR to be effective. Sure, one would help, but too many of them around the league are divas that get grumpy when they don't get enough touches or targets. We feature team players that celebrate each other's success and are patient enough to know they'll get their turn if they continue to work within the framework of the team and the game plans. Like last season, when good players take that attitude, they are virtually unstoppable...as a team. It is no accident that all three squads, O, D, and ST outscored Denver in SB48. Any team facing the Seahawks have to prepare in ALL aspects of the game, or they will probably lose.

Doug Baldwin has epitomized the team aspect of our guys. He stepped up his rookie year, then still hung in there when he was forced to step back a bit after we built up the WR crew to its current strength.

As for the #1 argument, I blame Fantasy Football. ;)
Great post Sutz. That is completely accurate.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Baldwin is also a great blocker on the outside. I really started paying attention in the Merry Massacre of 2012. Second offensive play of the game Lynch breaks a 24 yard run in which Baldwin cleared the path at the endzone by dominating either T. Brown or CulliHack. After I saw him having his way with Niner DBs I started paying a lot more attention.

I would see these great blocks live, expecting to hear the commentary point it out when I watched the DVR of the game but it never get mentioned. The guy does an exceptional job of it on DBs every game. I think in the Super Bowl (damn did the Hawks really win the Super Bowl? ) it was mentioned on a Harvin sweep, but other than that I never see the guy get credit for it.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I am going to miss those expressions on Carlos Rogers face after giving up long passes to ADB. Well, any Hawks receiver.

Rob12

Reaction score
He's a #1 on talent. He just plays in a pass-lite offense so the numbers won't support that title. But he passes the eye test as a #1 to me.

Either way, I think we can all agree that ADB is extremely valuable to our offense.

Steve2222

Reaction score
kearly":37sxsnhh said:
It stings a bit seeing Stills #1 on that list. He was the late round WR I wanted the most in 2013. I thought he was Oklahoma's version of Golden Tate. Terrific balance, great deep threat. Marvin Jones is rare case of the guy every draft pundit on earth said was a sleeper before the draft, and actually turns into a late round steal.

Baldwin had some studly plays last season. The unreal toe-tappers vs. Carolina and another team (Titans?). The TD catch he had right before halftime against the Vikings was awesome as well. Baldwin did more than stay healthy last season, he got better too.

I think the reason Baldwin's efficiency stats are so stellar is because he was Wilson's go to guy when Wilson was scrambling to set up the deep ball.

To me, a #1 WR is a guy who defenses game plan. Baldwin isn't such a player with us, though he might be if he was doing Edelman's job in New England.

Baldwin will start the season as Seattle's starting outside receiver, which technically means he will be Seattle's #1 WR. He's good enough on the outside that I think he's a legit #1 guy, not because he dominates or is feared but because at the end of the day he's an effective player. I'd compare it to the debates people used to have over Jamie Moyer being a #1 pitcher when he was putting up top numbers with an 85 mph fastball and his super-human ability to make batters guess wrong.

Don't forget his toe tapper against Houston on 3rd and forever deep in our territory that saved the "Wilson scramble on 4th down" drive.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kearly":n20qniym said:
......Late in the season Seattle faced a string of defenses that all decided to press our receivers. Pressing is very risky for all but the best secondaries, and most DC's will not risk a press against elite weapons because when the press fails or is beat, you are almost guaranteed to give up a big play. Golden Tate and Baldwin are good players, but they struggled against press and failed to punish secondaries for using this tactic. A guy with elite movement skill like Harvin or elite size like Sidney Rice would be able to punish press coverage, but Baldwin and Tate are 5'10" WRs with good but not great speed.

When Harvin returned to the lineup, you could visibly see the passing game opening up as teams were forced to respect Harvin's explosiveness............
And I think this is where Richardson comes in along with Percy. His vertical speed will help open up the field and lessen or eliminate the threat of press vs. our offense. Guessing this is what Pete and John had in mind when drafting him. Likewise, a "pattern runner" like Norwood benefits from Percy and Paul like Baldwin does as you mentioned.
Now if the o-line can give RW an extra half second or so this year, look out.