BD&M Howard Mudd

ivotuk

Reaction score
BOB, DAVE AND MOORe

Hour 3: Howard Mudd

56 year NFL veteran, Howard Mudd joins the show to give some really special insight and expertise about the offensive line position. Howard is one of the most engaging interviews on this show in a while, and has extensive knowledge of the game, and a very cool willingness to share. Then, we take your stories from quarantine and share them on air. What has been driving you the most crazy since the beginning of self-isolation? Lastly, we find out What We Learned.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/category ... +and+Moore

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Hour 1: Justus Sheffield

Bob, Dave, and Jim sit down to discuss their thoughts from re-watching the Seahawks super bowl victory against the Broncos on NFL network last night. What did they miss the most about that team, and what stood out to them on re-watch? Take Two: Astros manager AJ Hinch and GM Jeff Luhnow will have served their suspension even if no games are played this year, and the Chief Medical Officer for the NFL says it's too early to tell if the season can start on time. Mariners pitcher Justus Sheffield joins the show to talk about what he is doing during this time to get ready for when the season comes back.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Hour 2: Storytime with Dave Wyman

The Professor, John Clayton, joins Bob, Dave, and Jim to talk about the most recent news in the NFL, and what might be happening with Jadeveon Clowney. Jim and the Professor go at it a bit, unable to come to an agreement on the importance of fit in a defensive scheme. Storytime with Wyman: We break out our blankets and snacks and listen to Dave share one of his beautiful Friday stories. Sweeping The Dial: Justin Turner says they should use an HR derby instead of extra innings, and Rex Ryan calls Amari Cooper a turd.

Jville

Reaction score
Terrific interview with Howard Mudd on the subject of coaching offensive linemen.

Mudd's quote of line coach Tom Moore who has continued to coach on into the CBA era is worth spelling out here ............... "The guy that's suffering the most is the quarterback under the CBA. Because ... the offensive linemen don't learn how to pass protect in the limited time we have to coach them" - Tom Moore

Also touches on angles and redirecting and sensing clues as to what the unseen quarterback is doing behind a lineman's back.

Another important point was that the practice with the defender opposite a lineman is very important to make the most out of the all too little contact practice time the CBA limits them to.

Also, Howard Mudd mentioned his familiarity with recently signed BJ Finney and that he really likes him as a lineman.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Jville":3exon7sp said:
Terrific interview with Howard Mudd on the subject of coaching offensive linemen.

Mudd's quote of line coach Tom Moore who has continued to coach on into the CBA era is worth spelling out here ............... "The guy that's suffering the most is the quarterback under the CBA. Because ... the offensive linemen don't learn how to pass protect in the limited time we have to coach them" - Tom Moore

Also touches on angles and redirecting and sensing clues as to what the unseen quarterback is doing behind a lineman's back.

Another important point was that the practice with the defender opposite a lineman is very important to make the most out of the all too little contact practice time the CBA limits them to.

Also, Howard Mudd mentioned his familiarity with recently signed BJ Finney and that he really likes him as a lineman.
Yeah, I really liked the Howard Mudd interview. Liked how he disagreed with Cable’s assement of linemen coming out of college. Dude knows his stuff.

Jville

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1tw65olk said:
Jville":1tw65olk said:

Yeah, I really liked the Howard Mudd interview. Liked how he disagreed with Cable’s assement of linemen coming out of college. Dude knows his stuff.
We see so much heat thrown at offensive linemen during the season, I decided to start bookmarking links to some of these better interviews for the purpose of offering an in season perspective. I've started the collection with the two from this week beginning with Joe Thomas and now Howard Mudd.

If you see something of value along these lines, I'm in the habit of checking my private messages. Door is always open :biggthumpup:

Jville

Reaction score
ivotuk":2taynihl said:
Great idea. I'll send whatever I find your way.

Much appreciated, your targeted contributions will help build a needed forum resource.

My door is always open :biggthumpup:

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Here's some J

SCHOOLED WITH THE PROFESSOR -- Back from the Combine with Mark Schlereth

Just getting back from the Indianapolis Scouting Combine. On this episode of Schooled with the Professor, we have Mark Schlereth to discuss the evolution of the combine and the start of free agency.

One of the main topics we get into was offensive linemen, both from the college standpoint and free agency, and how difficult it is for offensive line coaches to get the most out of their blockers.

Since 2011, it takes three years to equal the practice, meeting, and hitting time coaches enjoyed for so many years.

Because of that, there may not be 32 offensive line coaches who can conquer the challenge of getting players ready for games.

We also breakdown how free agency has evolved, and Mark gets into what’s going on with the Denver Broncos and what’s ahead for them.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/category ... +Professor

Jville

Reaction score
Thanks for the link to the Mark Schlereth interview. Nice to hear the perspective of an all pro interior lineman. The Mark Schlereth interview may be the most comprehensive description I've heard about what went wrong with the NFL because of the CBA. I've copy and pasted it to the collection.
An epidemic of linemen that can't play the position ----- Mark Schlereth
.......................... a lot of attention grabbing quotes in that interview. Excellent insight. Remarks about how some teams are suffering and paying a price from placing too much emphasis on stop watches and measureless for drafting is counter to what many assume going into the draft. Really caught my ear. I've wondered about the heavily promoted avalanche of analytics getting in the way of identifying players that can actually play their drafted position.

The name Ray Roberts also comes to mind as someone who is likely in the interview archives.

Thanks for your contribution :2thumbs:

John63

Reaction score
so we have a shortage of O lineman that can actually play the position or not enought time for coaches to train them. Which means teams need to do a better job of finding those that can play the position. Wonder when we will do that? Find the ones that can play at lest from a pass protection point of view.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
John63":2kqml39o said:
so we have a shortage of O lineman that can actually play the position or not enought time for coaches to train them. Which means teams need to do a better job of finding those that can play the position. Wonder when we will do that? Find the ones that can play at lest from a pass protection point of view.

^^^^

EU7v9f U4AAZpYGformatjpgnamelarge

John63

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1a0wu4uf said:
John63":1a0wu4uf said:

^^^^

EU7v9f U4AAZpYGformatjpgnamelarge

great and yet we have never had an oline rnake higher than 20th in pass blocking. Just becasue he is an all decade coach doe snot mean he does nto have faults adn thign eh needs to do to get to another SB like fix the olinei that has been bad every year he has been here, from a pass protection point.