Bennet 100% committed to resigning with the Hawks

Seahawker86

Reaction score
You have to think that players get paid for playing in the playoffs as well which doesn't count against our salary cap. Players MUST put that into consideration and will weigh that into their calculators when adding up the money. He will probably make MORE money playing on a team that consistently makes deep runs into the playoffs, with no state income tax I might add, then a team that doesn't have high hopes the next few years. Also the culture around us. Pete has made it an easy work place for these players. I know at my job I could make more money working at the retail store down the road but they make it real easy on us. Less pressure, etc. I would never go to the other store though I could make more money. Don't think for a second that Bennett won't take a home town discount. He knows what he has here and what's out there for him. He will be back. I'm not worried!

Chapow

Reaction score
There are only 7 states that have no state income tax. Washington is one of those states. I would think that would add to the attractiveness of signing here in Seattle. You get to keep more of your money.

Northhawk

Reaction score
Bennett made it clear in the Times that he doesn't want a pay cut and wants to be paid amoung the top players at his position.

"I had to prove myself as a player back to back years. Basically I took a one year deal the year before, did a first round tender in Tampa, so I definitely just want to be paid, you know, I’m not trying to be the highest paid guy but I want to be compensated with the top guys.”

Sounds like his agent had a discussion with him afterall.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/ ... a-pay-cut/

HawkFan72

Reaction score
He does have a point, though. he basically already took a smaller deal in an effort to win a championship and hopefully cash in later.

He won the championship and set himself up for a fat paycheck.

His whole plan worked out, so if he just takes a smaller deal to stay in Seattle it would only be for another championship. But at this point he wants to complete his plan of getting a good deal for his family.

lsheldon

Reaction score
Joey13091":1huxs91o said:
12thManNorth":1huxs91o said:
Though I think he'll stay, the only part that scares me is the comments were made on the day of the Super Bowl parade

What comments?

That entire interview was at the clink right after the parade and ceremony.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I might be alone in this, but I think Bennett fits on this defense more than a typical 4-3 defense, and I don't see him as quite big enough for a 3-4 DE. He has more value here than most other places.

Bennett rushes from inside a lot. He's not exposive enough (like a Hardy or a Jarrod Allen) to command truly big money in the FA market. 4-6 Mil a year for him would be fair to both parties, and I'd go 3-4 years if I'm John Schneider.

You might see teams like Jacksonville that are trying to emulate us, offer him big money, but the culture and atmosphere in Jax isn't nearly as good as it is here. There have been a lot of FA's commenting on how they want to come here. There is literally a line at the door and don't think it doesn't go unnoticed by our players.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
49thHawk":rjvh59ht said:
Bennett made it clear in the Times that he doesn't want a pay cut and wants to be paid amoung the top players at his position.

"I had to prove myself as a player back to back years. Basically I took a one year deal the year before, did a first round tender in Tampa, so I definitely just want to be paid, you know, I’m not trying to be the highest paid guy but I want to be compensated with the top guys.”

The question he was answering was loaded. He made $5 mil a year this past year and the guy asked if he was offered the same money for 3 years. We aren't gonna offer something that low.

Bulluck: “If someone came at you with $5 mil for the next three, is that a pay raise or is that taking a cut to you, in your eyes?”

Northhawk

Reaction score
bigtrain21":1b2qzqyo said:
49thHawk":1b2qzqyo said:

The question he was answering was loaded. He made $5 mil a year this past year and the guy asked if he was offered the same money for 3 years. We aren't gonna offer something that low.

Bulluck: “If someone came at you with $5 mil for the next three, is that a pay raise or is that taking a cut to you, in your eyes?”

Saw that but he still says "...but I want to be compensated with the top guys.”

bigtrain21

Reaction score
49thHawk":3m9fgb96 said:
bigtrain21":3m9fgb96 said:
49thHawk":3m9fgb96 said:

Saw that but he still says "...but I want to be compensated with the top guys.”

That's kind of vague though. It leaves some wiggle room. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

mikeak

Reaction score
Mario Williams signed 6 years $100 million.....

is that what he means with the top guys?......

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
All I have to say is that I am grateful to everyone that brought home the superbowl and they do deserve to be paid but I will find it comical when some of them take that mega money and are stuck on a crappy team like the Browns, Raiders, Bucs or Jags and outside of just having slightly more money are just miserable. Is it REALLY worth it to make 2-3 more million when you are making 5+ million allready just to be miserable and win like 4 games. IMO it isnt but I am not an NFL player.

From all accounts Seattle has the best work environment in the entire league and the coach the majority of players would like to play for and one of if the THE best fanbases in the entire NFL. That has to count for something when you negotiate your contract right?

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":plmr9zej said:
akscoundrel":plmr9zej said:
I think Bennett will be back, but unfortunately I dont see it being a long term deal. A 1, or possibly 2, year deal.

Snag up another ring (or two ;)), get that sense of accomplishment, then go have some fun with his brother while making some extra loot.

There's no way in hell he signs another one year deal, not after the year he had on a SB winning team.

I can almost guarantee you that Schneider is as we speak trying to lock him up into a 2-3 year deal to avoid letting Bennett test the free agent waters.

Tate? I think the plan for both Tate and Baldwin is to LET them test free agency, because like I said their value isn't going to be high. Then let them come back once they see that they're not going to break the bank and sign a 2 year deal for 2-3 million.

I'm not sure what your range is, but I guarantee they'd go for a lot more than we want to pay them. WR always get dumb contracts.

Miles Austin 6/54
Brian Hartline 5/30
Mike Williams 5/40
Josh Morgan 2/11.5

I don't think any of them are exactly bigtime stat monsters to snag those deals.

BigMeach

Reaction score
I'm not a salary or cap guy at all, nor do I know anything about player contracts. But I do know age and Chris Clemons is going to be turning 33 this year... Are we not paying him quite a bit? Couldn't we cut him and use that money to keep bennett? After all we have Avril to replace him, as well as Irvin who could move back into Leo with Malcolm Smith's arrival could he not?

Latest posts