Bennett and Avril

themunn

Reaction score
Zorn76":35w6uapt said:
Clemons, God bless him, is done after this season in Seattle, IMO.
Hope he gets a ring out of his tenure being a Seahawks, though, because he really deserves it as much as anybody else on the team.

He won't be back on his current contract for sure. And there's nobody out there that will give him 9m - Bennett only got 4.8m for example, and he's a far more attractive proposition.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign 3 years, 12m or so, and used in the "Raheem Brock" role. He's still a solid player, I mean come on, how old is Mathis and he just set a career high in sacks to lead the league. Clemons came back this year after an ACL injury midseason, with a full offseason of conditioning he'll probably be better next year than he was this year, so why not bring him back?

falcongoggles

Reaction score
themunn":399kx98c said:
Zorn76":399kx98c said:
Clemons, God bless him, is done after this season in Seattle, IMO.
Hope he gets a ring out of his tenure being a Seahawks, though, because he really deserves it as much as anybody else on the team.

He won't be back on his current contract for sure. And there's nobody out there that will give him 9m - Bennett only got 4.8m for example, and he's a far more attractive proposition.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign 3 years, 12m or so, and used in the "Raheem Brock" role. He's still a solid player, I mean come on, how old is Mathis and he just set a career high in sacks to lead the league. Clemons came back this year after an ACL injury midseason, with a full offseason of conditioning he'll probably be better next year than he was this year, so why not bring him back?

Because sentiment and the past have no place in the moneyball style our front office manages contracts.

Dtowers

Reaction score
Our FO does NOT adhere to the moneyball approach. Far from it.

TheHawkDoc

Reaction score
Bennett is a tremendous football player and a guy that should be a cornerstone on this defense for years to come. He is versatile enough to provide an inside as well as outside pass rush. He is our most consistent pass rusher by a longshot and is still young. He is the type of guy that once you have on your roster you don't let get away. Pass rushers are at a premium and he should be priority #1 this offseason.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
TheHawkDoc":1waufuaj said:
Bennett is a tremendous football player and a guy that should be a cornerstone on this defense for years to come. He is versatile enough to provide an inside as well as outside pass rush. He is our most consistent pass rusher by a longshot and is still young. He is the type of guy that once you have on your roster you don't let get away. Pass rushers are at a premium and he should be priority #1 this offseason.

Preach, my brother. Couldn't say it any better.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Bennett has been the single most important addition to the defense they added. The guy is balls out disruptive and is always around the ball and quarterback. Avril has added a ton of action and has created turnovers at will.

They both really played well against Brees too, who seemed to just barely escape their grasp when he stepped up. There was at least 4 sacks that he pulled his leg out of. I wish there was a way to keep them both, but if I had to let one go it would be Avril and that decision was not easy.

Funny, when Avril was signed, I remember Niner fans laughing, saying that Anthony Davis owned him, but I watched Cliff jumping all over Davis every time they played.

Man it would be good to keep them both. I love Chris Clemons, he has played so hard, but I think he knows that the business side of football is nearing. I would not doubt it if we saw an extra big play out of him in two weeks.

drrew

Reaction score
Dtowers":2damzuw8 said:
Our FO does NOT adhere to the moneyball approach. Far from it.

Not sure you have a clear understanding what the moneyball approach is, the Seahawks absolutely adhere to it.

Moneyball is about determining what in the market is undervalued, and then exploiting that value. The Seahawks determined there was untapped value in 5'11 QBs (Wilson), in 335lb DEs (Red), in 275lb DTs (Bennett), in 6'3 CBs (Browner/Sherman) etc etc etc. The Seahawks are able to acquire these players because of a preconceived bias about what these positions should look like, or what they should be able to do.

Schneider and Carroll are the masters at identifying what a player can do, and putting them into position to do that specific thing. Too many organizations focus on what a player can't do, and our decision makers exploit that to the fullest.