Bennett Boycotting the Times

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SeaChickN":3dht6ryp said:
OK, I don't normally reply in these threads, but this comment is funny. Um, what? Certain people have been whining and throwing tantrums since the beginning of time. And some old people still whine and throw tantrums and expect special treatment [Cough...a certain someone on a multi-trip tour of the middle east/Europe right now...Cough]. This generalization is ridiculous. The issue may be that we hear more about this whining because of the internet/social media/etc. We know every time someone hiccups.

And lest you think I'm one of these youngies, I'm not. I'm damn near 50.

Carry on y'all with yelling at those kids approaching your lawns.

If you haven't noticed that we've babied, coddled and as a society produced an entire generation of soft "I'm getting bullied" millennial kids and now young adults, you haven't been paying attention.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Let's keep this on the topic of the Times and Bennett and not debate whether or not society has or hasn't softened the youth of today.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Seems simple- if you do good, high quality work with Bennett, like Kimes or Farrar have recently , he'll show respect in kind and foster strong relationships. If you put out crap like this Calkins piece then you get what you asked for; respect is earned, not given. Bennett, Sherman, and Marshawn have shown respect to those who earn it.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Maybe we should stop expecting our athletes to be public speakers.

Some guys just want to be quiet, like Lynch. Other say stupid things. Occasionally you will find the odd one who is well-spoken, but most of these guys got rubber-stamped through school and are not even always literate.

On the other hand, Bennett is donating all of the endorsement money he earns this year to inner-city programs as well as half the money he receives from jersey sales going to inner-city garden projects. He hosts a free football program for more than 700 kids.

What, precisely, is this reporter doing to make the world a better place?

Who, precisely, is immature?

What kind of values do we have i we uphold what amounts to an internet troll over a man who gives back to his communities in both Seattle and Hawaii?

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kobebryant":177cwj7k said:
Seems simple- if you do good, high quality work with Bennett, like Kimes or Farrar have recently , he'll show respect in kind and foster strong relationships. If you put out crap like this Calkins piece then you get what you asked for; respect is earned, not given. Bennett, Sherman, and Marshawn have shown respect to those who earn it.

So it was OK for Bennett to bark at Bill Wixley about adversity when Wixley was a cancer surivivor.........and then not apologize?

This is not black and white like we have to choose sides. Bennett and Sherman do amazing things for the community, and I believe they are good men. But this article is spot on, they both have proven to have thin skin immaturity issues when it comes to dealing with the media.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
The Times has opinions about Bennett. Bennett has opinions about The Times. The end.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1wtk2vis said:
kobebryant":1wtk2vis said:

So it was OK for Bennett to bark at Bill Wixley about adversity when Wixley was a cancer surivivor.........and then not apologize?

This is not black and white like we have to choose sides. Bennett and Sherman do amazing things for the community, and I believe they are good men. But this article is spot on, they both have proven to have thin skin immaturity issues when it comes to dealing with the media.
The media has a habit of poking for quotes immediately after an emotional situation - losing or winning a big game, making or blowing big plays, etc. because when athletes are emotional they say things in the heat of the moment and it sells newspapers.

There's a big difference between interviewing a cancer survivor - for example - when he's feeling well and can wax poetic about his experience, and when he's puking his guts out from chemo and wanting to end it all because life sucks and he has cancer and he can see how much it hurts everyone around him and he feels like a burden and everyone would be better off if he wasn't there wracking up horrendous medical expenses.

I guarantee if you interview him at his most emotional, you will not get composed, mature responses.

But we expect our athletes to be composed and mature when they are at the height of their emotions?

Russell Wilson does that, but he's essentially a robot. Sherman and Bennett are examples of players whose blood runs hot. They get emotionally involved in what they do. They use it as a tool to motivate themselves to perform at their peak ability, and both are among the elite at their position in part because of their passion. Just don't expect to interview them in the grips of that passion and get robotic responses.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
KIRO said on a John Clayton interview just that Bennett DID apologize to Wixey. There goes that "talking point".

So the Times reporter is a liar. Looks like more BS from the local sports media from a guy trying to make a name for himself.

#So Sad

Seymour

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1ofkegv0 said:
KIRO said on a John Clayton interview just that Bennett DID apologize to Wixey. There goes that "talking point".

So the Times reporter is a liar. Looks like more BS from the local sports media from a guy trying to make a name for himself.

#So Sad

In order to be "a liar", you have to know the truth before you make the comment. Bennett's apology was never made public, thus most did not know it happened.

I suggest this well could have been an innocent mistake.

Question is, why did Bennett not make it public? I have my suspicions as to why not, but won't share here for damn sure.

Hyak

Reaction score
Like I posted earlier, I like Bennett and respect his actions off the field.

The Wixey deal bothered me but to hear he did apologize does make me feel better about the blow up I can definitely see where Bennett has a right to be pissed given that was a big example for Calkins article/stance.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":epcc1gby said:
Sgt. Largent":epcc1gby said:
kobebryant":epcc1gby said:

The media has a habit of poking for quotes immediately after an emotional situation - losing or winning a big game, making or blowing big plays, etc. because when athletes are emotional they say things in the heat of the moment and it sells newspapers.

There's a big difference between interviewing a cancer survivor - for example - when he's feeling well and can wax poetic about his experience, and when he's puking his guts out from chemo and wanting to end it all because life sucks and he has cancer and he can see how much it hurts everyone around him and he feels like a burden and everyone would be better off if he wasn't there wracking up horrendous medical expenses.

I guarantee if you interview him at his most emotional, you will not get composed, mature responses.

But we expect our athletes to be composed and mature when they are at the height of their emotions?

Russell Wilson does that, but he's essentially a robot. Sherman and Bennett are examples of players whose blood runs hot. They get emotionally involved in what they do. They use it as a tool to motivate themselves to perform at their peak ability, and both are among the elite at their position in part because of their passion. Just don't expect to interview them in the grips of that passion and get robotic responses.

Just because you can explain why a situation may come about doesn't mean that it should be acceptable. Yes Bennett and Sherman are emotional guys, they give to their community AND they show clear signs of a lack of maturity which, if not obtained by now, may never be. Some people can keep their cool under fire, and others are not able to get to that level of emotional intelligence. Don't know the future, but for now, both of these MEN, they aren't quite there yet and are easily bated. Not willing to give them a pass because "ya know....they are emotional...".

The Breh

Reaction score
I'll never understand why people are upset by things like this.
Reporters ask some of the dumbest things, ask certain questions to specific players to garner a negative response SOLELY for the reason to create an article with bolder text on the front page to push their own career ?
These are football players who play a violent game and you expect them to check all emotions the second they see a mic and speak like politicians ?
Why can't reporters be called out for drumming up things ?
Sherm saying I'll ruin dudes career was brash, yet in the end...he's got nothing to talk about unless the players get riled enough to make a headline.
It is, whether you like it or not, the presses privelige to talk to them.
Nobody puts their inefficiencies on blast.
Lynch saw through all that and wouldn't let them do it, and still Lynch is at fault.

The press isn't their employer and have they have every right to tell them to kick rocks.
Immature ?
How do you handle it when someone who isn't your employer trying to make national headlines out of you ?

Settle down, you and our players are human in fact.
I think people forget that.

*mod edit*

chris98251

Reaction score
kidhawk":3otadkjl said:
Let's keep this on the topic of the Times and Bennett and not debate whether or not society has or hasn't softened the youth of today.

They are intertwined, but whatever....................

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
The Breh":2qjljbyo said:
Reporters ask some of the dumbest things, ask certain questions to specific players to garner a negative response SOLELY for the reason to create an article with bolder text on the front page to push their own career ?
These are football players who play a violent game and you expect them to check all emotions the second they see a mic and speak like politicians ?
Sherm saying I'll ruin dudes career was brash, yet in the end...he's got nothing to talk about unless the players get riled enough to make a headline.
Lynch saw through all that and wouldn't let them do it, and still Lynch is at fault.

The press isn't their employer and have they have every right to tell them to kick rocks.
Immature ?
How do you handle it when someone who isn't your employer trying to make national headlines out of you ?

*mod edit*
I agree, great post.

The Breh

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":v14luktg said:
The Breh":v14luktg said:

Immature ?

*mod edit*
I agree, great post.
Thank you, sincerely.

Hyak

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":285so4d2 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Matt_Calkins/status/866833521435844608[/tweet]

Gotta give him credit for owning this and apologizing for basing a column based on incorrect facts. I am not sure every person would do so.