Bennett not open to home town discount

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think ~$8M/yr is the top end of what Bennett is likely to receive in the open market. Not even sure if gets that much. You guys gotta remember, Cliff Avril was arguably the best available pass rusher last year, and he barely mustered a two-year deal with a $6.5M/yr average. Cleveland grossly overpaid for Kruger, but he's still at a $8.2M average.

That being said, if Bennett gets offered 4 years @ $8M/yr, then I'm not sure I'd match. I think he's worth a Clemons deal (3 years @ $7M w/ ability to escape in Year 3). Yes, I do think that extra year commitment makes a difference (considering "Big 3" extensions looming).

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
I could see a 3 year 22-25 million getting it done with some nice guranteed money. We just can't overpay him.

JMR

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3e1xw01e said:
I think ~$8M/yr is the top end of what Bennett is likely to receive in the open market. Not even sure if gets that much. You guys gotta remember, Cliff Avril was arguably the best available pass rusher last year, and he barely mustered a two-year deal with a $6.5M/yr average. Cleveland grossly overpaid for Kruger, but he's still at a $8.2M average.

That being said, if Bennett gets offered 4 years @ $8M/yr, then I'm not sure I'd match. I think he's worth a Clemons deal (3 years @ $7M w/ ability to escape in Year 3). Yes, I do think that extra year commitment makes a difference (considering "Big 3" extensions looming).

Well, every year contacts get bigger and players get more than what fans think they're worth. Teams are in a bidding war over the top FAs, so that naturally is going to push the prize over what some may think is "fair."

You can work a contract that averages to $8 mill a year over 4 years but is really a 3 year deal with backloaded money that the player will likely not see. A $15 mill signing bonus over a 4 year contract means only $3.5mill of dead money if you cut him after the 3rd year.

getnasty

Reaction score
Tokadub":1xu0eym2 said:
28 isn't exactly a Spring Chicken for a pass rusher, he's likely already beginning to decline. I think a 2 year contract is the most I would be comfortable giving him at 6 million tops a year.

OK I'm still waiting for some kind of proof that he's a great player. I haven't seen it and I've watched every game he played for us.

Bennett was ranked #13th ON OUR TEAM in tackles.

As someone else mentioned he's ranked about #30 in sacks for the NFL even though he benefits from playing on a legendary defense which makes thing much easier for him.

He has no interceptions.

He has 1 forced fumble... Cliff Avril had 5!!!

Bennett has 1 out of our teams 20 forced fumbles (5%)!!!

Bennett has 8.5 of our 44 sacks (19%)...

Bennett has 23.5 sacks in 5 seasons that's 4.7 a season... not including 2009 where he couldn't even play for us he was so bad.

He's averaging almost exactly a sack every 3 games 23.5 sacks/66 games = .356 sacks per game.

The best guys in the league are putting up literally twice the sacks AND twice the tackles plus 8 times the amount of forced fumbles etc...

These guys are blowing away Bennett's stats even when they are playing on crappy defenses and they have to single handedly make game breaking plays.

All Bennett has to do is stand in the middle and the guy has nowhere to go and runs right to Bennett. Bennett just does a dirty shot at the guys knees and the ball falls right into his hands, true story. That is the kind of plays that you guys are praising Bennett for?!

I'm still waiting for some kind of proof that he's the second coming that we are willing to break the bank and destroy our dynasty for this one guy who doesn't even want to be here...

I can understand his comments if we were some lame team like the 49ers... But now he throws our whole orginization and fans under the bus this time. He pretty much said money > than our organization even though he just enjoyed a first class ride to the Super Bowl. We rescued him from the crappy Buccaneers and gave him a chance to do what every player dreams of their whole life and win a Super Bowl and all he can say is he's not Costco? That is not an appropriate comment to direct towards a classy Super Bowl Champion team who is tight on money with the best fans in the world, most players would kill to come here.

I don't want him on our team anymore, the fact that we can't afford him is the main reason, but I don't like his attitude either and this team is all about character.

Bennett said what just about every player in the league feels. Earl won't take a hometown discount, Sherman won't take a hometown discount, very few guys take a home town discount. Hate on him all you want but the only difference between him and everyone else is he has the balls to say what he feels. Bennett can play inside and out, he's the most versatile and valuable DLineman we have.

getnasty

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1dhz15un said:
Sometimes it seems like people look at stats and forget that they watched the games. If you did watch the Seahawks play this year, you know that Bennett was a constant force on the D line. He was constantly collapsing the pocket and playing tough against the run. He was a problem for offenses all season. He played with huge effort and energy. His impact should not be measured and stats, and if you were paying attention this season you should know that. That doesn't mean that you pay him a ridiculous amount, but you do have to pay him in line with what he brings to the team and on this team he was a destructive force.

Great post, nobody commands more double teams then MB too.

cover-2

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":az1ai6dj said:
Sometimes it seems like people look at stats and forget that they watched the games. If you did watch the Seahawks play this year, you know that Bennett was a constant force on the D line. He was constantly collapsing the pocket and playing tough against the run. He was a problem for offenses all season. He played with huge effort and energy. His impact should not be measured and stats, and if you were paying attention this season you should know that. That doesn't mean that you pay him a ridiculous amount, but you do have to pay him in line with what he brings to the team and on this team he was a destructive force.

:13:

rideaducati

Reaction score
With Hill and the Monstar waiting in the wings, I don't think Bennett is a must have.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
plyka":usbaoeng said:
Tokadub":usbaoeng said:
In light of Bennett's D-head comment I'm just gonna go ahead and say it. Bennett is NOT that good. F this guy kick him off the team.

He is the perfect fit BECAUSE we have a perfect system for him, there are so many other weapons on our teams defense he just has a play day EVERY day. There are at least 30+ guys who are comparable to Bennett in the NFL not even including the upcoming draft.

I bit my tongue because all you guys are obsessed with the guy for no apparent reason. But now that he's pretty much saying "F" the Seahawk i don't care where I play let's cut this SOB. I'm serious, someone show me some kind of highlight reel or a play that is special from him. I've NEVER thought he was that good and all your guys love for him straight up baffles me.

He is an overweight guy with decent movement, that's all nothing more nothing less. I cannot remember ONE SINGLE PLAY where I was like wow Bennett is so good! I just shut my mouth since everyone here is in love with him, but personally I think retaining TATE is MUCH MORE IMPORTANT.

Edit: Oh just to clarify Michael Bennett has virtually no highlight videos as a Seahawk. He truly isn't special our defense is just so good his stats are overblown because he's in the ME ME ME stat position on our team, that's the truth.

Scratch that his movement isn't even that good 5 second 40 yard dash...

Do you guys realize Bruce Irvin had 8 sacks his rookie season that's .5 less than Michael Bennett and you guys are all like let's cut Irvin he's a no show! Michael Bennett mustered basically the same sack count as Irvin his rookie season and suddenly he's the man???

Bennett is not as good as people are saying and I truly want to know where the source of all this Bennett love is coming from. It seems to me like media bologna but I'm waiting for someone to prove he's good...

I think we should let Bennett go as well. But you need to take it back like 10 notches. Bennett was a key in bringing this team its first super bowl in its history --a little RESPECT for the man please. Your post is almost like a tantrum. No team can be this emotional in making its decisions. Remember that the man helped bring you a SB!

As for what the team should do, I agree, they should let him go, again, depending on PRICE. His value is inflated, and because it is inflated, the team should not bring him back. You can replace him cheaper. But if his price is reasonable, then you bring him back.

Either way, all Seahawk fans owe the man a big THANK YOU!+

I didn't like his comments and honestly thought Avril played better towards the end of the year. I don't wish him any ill will but I also don't think he needs to be re-signed, like the original quote said, he did well because of the system he didn't have some A+ year. He played well but he's not necessary to give big money too. Enjoy San Francisco.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
hawks4thewin":2w46dx63 said:
Completly Off topic but where is this 8 mill a year going to come from? :)

His salary was 4.8 million this past year - so you only really need to make 3.2 million more room for next year as he is a FA.

Golden Tate is more complex as his cap hit was only 880,000. So to give him 5-6 million next year would be a much greater jump.

This is what also makes contracts for Sherman and Wilson so difficult as they will have substantial raises.

Earl Thomas has a cap hit of 5.5 million next year - so once again - his extension should only cost a million or two extra than what his 2014 cap hit will be so the budgeting is already there.

Either way, cutting Sidney Rice and Chris Clemons easily takes 19.3 million off the books for next year minus about 4.5 million in dead money for the year. Restructuring Red Bryant/Brandon Mebane/Zach Miller can also relive some pressure moving forward with the most likely candidate being Bryant. (We could conceivably cut him outright as well though I hope not). Paul McQuistan not being re-signed will save us 3.375 from last year. Breno was 4.75 and he may not be back either.

There are lots of options - but I really don't see us not re-signing Michael Bennett based on money reasons. Number of years will actually be a more important sticking point as we would want 3-4 years and he probably wants 5-6. I hope we can settle on a 3-4 contract for him.

zifnab32

Reaction score
rideaducati":uzxyfgtk said:
With Hill and the Monstar waiting in the wings, I don't think Bennett is a must have.

Hill hasn't proven anything yet and has a pretty significantly different body type. It remains to be seen how much Williams will actually be able to play with his knees.

BleedGreenNblue

Reaction score
Take a ton of money to go play for some shitty team and possibly make the playoffs, Makes sense. Bennett is a good player but a VERY small piece of the equation. Let him go

JMR

Reaction score
hawks4thewin":yquli0cm said:

A contract that averages $8 mill a year doesn't mean we're looking at an $8 mill cap hit. You start with a $15 mill bonus, and that's $3.5 mill a year on the cap. For base salary, you can go something like 3/3/5/6 and you don't even get to $8 mill until the 3rd year. Hard to see why Bennett isn't going to get at least that from someone.

rideaducati

Reaction score
JMR":33g8wbbs said:
hawks4thewin":33g8wbbs said:

A contract that averages $8 mill a year doesn't mean we're looking at an $8 mill cap hit. You start with a $15 mill bonus, and that's $3.5 mill a year on the cap. For base salary, you can go something like 3/3/5/6 and you don't even get to $8 mill until the 3rd year. Hard to see why Bennett isn't going to get at least that from someone.

The $8 million could come from dropping Clemons. There will be some dead money in there, but worth it. Bruce moves in to Clemons spot and the Seahawks continue their roll.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
not hating on him at all. In fact if he doesn't want to stick around and help this team I hope he shuffles off to Buffalo and signs a one year deal and maybe see what its like elsewhere. He won't like it so much.