Bennett wants to stay in Seattle (quote)

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
TJH":1hk80azn said:
I think people are going to be shocked when it comes to what are priorities are in this and subsequent offseason. I think there is a very good likelihood of us letting Sherm walk to shore up the defensive line.

No.

gulliver

Reaction score
TJH":cux8z1ky said:
I think people are going to be shocked when it comes to what are priorities are in this and subsequent offseason. I think there is a very good likelihood of us letting Sherm walk to shore up the defensive line.
Man, I think this would be catastrophic. I love our other DBs, but without Sherm I think we're watching SF play in the Superbowl right now. I also think he's good for a couple of games a year. You really cannot underestimate the value of having a guy who can shut down an entire third of the field.

Sac

Reaction score
If anything, Sherm gets traded for 2 firsts and Tharold Simon becomes a PIMP at corner. Slappin' divas and buying small Towns and everything.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I'm soooo glad John Schneider is our GM and not the people on this board. Wow.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I don't want to think about what things Sherman would be saying about our team if we let him go.....

Also, I would miss him way too much.

TJH

Reaction score
gulliver":1ifbfd7e said:
TJH":1ifbfd7e said:
Man, I think this would be catastrophic. I love our other DBs, but without Sherm I think we're watching SF play in the Superbowl right now. I also think he's good for a couple of games a year. You really cannot underestimate the value of having a guy who can shut down an entire third of the field.

While I don't necessarily disagree with this, John is far too smart to let a gigantic CB contract break us either.

chris98251

Reaction score
Considering how many reporters are there I thought I heard that someone asked hom about coming back, do you really think he's gonna say no, I want to rake in big bucks and play with my brother right before the Super Bowl?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
gulliver":2ehvqpgh said:
TJH":2ehvqpgh said:
I think Arizona would jump at the chance to get Sherman to play across from Peterson, because if that happened that Defense would dominate even more than they do now.
I don't think John Schneider is foolish enough to pare Sherman from the Seahawks successful Secondary, and as far as "Shoring Up The Defensive Line", I trust JS to find us some more great talent in the Draft.

CPHawk

Reaction score
We should sign his brother. Never mind we don't need another mediocre TE.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Can we realistically sign all our guys at market value? I don't think so. we are going to have to let some guys go and find cheap players in the draft. I think the upcoming draft is going to be key for the next few years. Last year's draft was quite mediocre according to our standards.

Shock2k

Reaction score
So is there a price to folks wanting to keep Sherman? What if he's asking for 12 mil to 15 mil a year? What's the roof here? And we also have to sign our All-Pro free safety? Then we have to pay our QB? How much cap do you think we have? Not sure we should be attacking people. "Can we keep Sherman?" is a relevant question.

With that said I REALLY want to keep Sherman, but I don't want to take a "CAP Spiral" that a lot of teams hit.

Big contracts can kill teams.

We have a GM that can take teams from bottom of the barrel to top in stats within 3 years through well planned drafting.

Would love for one of our CAP experts on the board to answer some of these questions.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
TJH":5vfn9tte said:

I hope they re-sign Sherman just so you don't get to gloat about it. In fact, it'll be awesome if they sign him just because it'll piss you off.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Shock2k":3csxdkbh said:
So is there a price to folks wanting to keep Sherman? What if he's asking for 12 mil to 15 mil a year? What's the roof here? And we also have to sign our All-Pro free safety? Then we have to pay our QB? How much cap do you think we have? Not sure we should be attacking people. "Can we keep Sherman?" is a relevant question.

It's a little easier when you restructure someone because you're essentially agreeing to pay them substantially more for one of the years in which they'd make substantially less.

Hypothetically, lets assume that as a FA Sherman would make 15 million per over five years. If so he can play next year for 500K with no guarantees that he doesn't have a horrible year or blow his knee out (meaning bye bye five years for 15 mil each and the money he could have over 500K right now), or he could resign next year for 12-13 million per over five years.

I think the magic number for Sherm is 12-13 million per year (once you throw out the fictitious sixth and seventh years to make the contract look bigger). If he won't sign for that he's gone, and if he will he stays and the Hawks let free other pieces to allow for it (e.g. Bennett, Tate, Thurmond, etc.; just throwing names out).

Shock2k

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3gsfz4co said:
Shock2k":3gsfz4co said:

It's a little easier when you restructure someone because you're essentially agreeing to pay them substantially more for one of the years in which they'd make substantially less.

Hypothetically, lets assume that as a FA Sherman would make 15 million per over five years. If so he can play next year for 500K with no guarantees that he doesn't have a horrible year or blow his knee out (meaning bye bye five years for 15 mil each and the money he could have over 500K right now), or he could resign next year for 12-13 million per over five years.

I think the magic number for Sherm is 12-13 million per year (once you throw out the fictitious sixth and seventh years to make the contract look bigger). If he won't sign for that he's gone, and if he will he stays and the Hawks let free other pieces to allow for it (e.g. Bennett, Tate, Thurmond, etc.; just throwing names out).

Thanks for that, sober and rational. It's appreciated.

Next question is, are CB's worth an even structured 15 mil a year? Or would you load the back end with the thought of restructuring after 5? (Not sure I know what I'm talking about here, so don't know if it's coming across clearly).