Bevell: "had the look we wanted" on the first 2pt conversion

lukerguy

Reaction score
DavidSeven":l6l0z4xz said:
No need to be didactic about terminology. This is direct from the OC's mouth, not an assumption on my part. He said the ball was to Baldwin, who was the third option when asked what the progression was. The only conclusion to draw based on how it played out is that Russell elminated the first two options based on what he saw pre-snap. Whether you want to call that part of the "progression" or not is your business, but it really has no impact on the substance of my post.

Listen to his press conference from this week.

There was nothing patronizing about what I was trying to communicate. I think it's sort of difficult to tell someone's intent or tone on a message board.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mrt144":sq0992qg said:
Sgt. Largent":sq0992qg said:
Anthony!":sq0992qg said:
well for one I have criticized Wilson, and for 2 Wilson has said a lot he needs to play better, it is on him When will our OC say it?

Would that be productive and smart for the OC to air out his QB in the press? What purpose does that serve?

The dude's spend hours and hours per day in the film room, I guarantee you Bevell is hard on Russell if he messes up. There's zero reason to criticize your QB as an OC publicly..........even if it does make Anthony all warm and fuzzy.

I wonder how much RW internalizes that internal criticism and accepts his role as whipping boy. How often does RW deflect?

Russell doesn't seem like a tender titty like some QB's, he's pretty damn tough, physically and mentally.

So I don't worry about his confidence being shattered by Bevell, or anyone for that matter.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1gk55j33 said:
mrt144":1gk55j33 said:
Sgt. Largent":1gk55j33 said:
Anthony!":1gk55j33 said:
well for one I have criticized Wilson, and for 2 Wilson has said a lot he needs to play better, it is on him When will our OC say it?

Would that be productive and smart for the OC to air out his QB in the press? What purpose does that serve?

The dude's spend hours and hours per day in the film room, I guarantee you Bevell is hard on Russell if he messes up. There's zero reason to criticize your QB as an OC publicly..........even if it does make Anthony all warm and fuzzy.

I wonder how much RW internalizes that internal criticism and accepts his role as whipping boy. How often does RW deflect?

Russell doesn't seem like a tender titty like some QB's, he's pretty damn tough, physically and mentally.

So I don't worry about his confidence being shattered by Bevell, or anyone for that matter.

I can totally see RW being someone who eats blame and responsibility for the greater good and is a "yes coach" player to almost a fault.

mikeak

Reaction score
HawkGA":3fhlze3c said:
If Baldwin was third in the progression, who were the first two? As lurker said, passing on Graham was probably a bad move that sounds like it might be on Wilson.

That said, holy crap is the middle of the field open. Marshawn is running out toward Graham's side and then there are 3 receivers on the other side. Looks like the receiver out the widest is working his way to the middle but no way is he getting there unless the play breaks down. The field is already small when you're at the goal line. Perhaps Bevell should consider using all of it.

YES

Not the first time we see multiple routes bringing multiple defenders to the same area leaving other areas wide-open with nobody there. This is seen across the field

In regards to this play. It wasn't supposed to be a fade since this pass was the third option. When RW changed it to the primary option and threw it immediately then he had to throw the fade or the ball would arrive way to early. As it played out it still came in to early.

He should have been able to look for his primary option after the snap and then gone to his 2nd / 3rd immediately.

So I think - he felt he wouldn't have the time because of the line (not an excuse just a reason) and then made a bad decision.

Now lets talk about the 2nd - 2pt conversion. WHY

You go for it on the first one but it was a bad decision to go for it on the second based on the point situation

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
HawkGA":f3j2puvu said:
NFSeahawks628":f3j2puvu said:
RW is pretty poor at quick fade route throws, so I don't understand why we keep running them, it requires the team to run the play perfectly. I still much prefer quick slant throws.

I get the feeling if Bevell was New England's OC, he would call a read option with Brady and when Brady gets tackled because he's slow, Bevell would say they "had the look we wanted." At the point your players can't execute the plays you call, you should call different plays.
BINGO!

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Darrell is an X's & O's guy, but fails to have a reasonable expectation of how well or poorly his drawings will transfer to real life. Sure you had a good look on paper, but you're running a seam and corner to a couple shorter receivers that require a floated pass from the 2 yard line? Good look, bad decision imo.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
To be fair, the loft to Baldwin is the 3rd option. Kearse may just be clearing Peterson out of the play (if he isn't held and re-routed). You got Graham singled up on Mathieu, Lockett running a slant, and Lynch in the flat. It is not as if a floater is the only option Russell was given.

purpleneer

Reaction score
The only potential call or design issue with Bevell on this one is the proximity of Lynch and Graham, which could be on Graham not getting as deep as designed. The direct problem is the QB execution, for which he should get indirect (and probably minor) blame for how he prepared Wilson. The only 2 who fail on this play are Wilson, who chose literally the worst of 5 options and executed his choice poorly, and the official who ignores an obvious hold.
Admit it or not, Wilson is having a bad year, as is the Bevell/Wilson combo. Bevell is the one who needs to go, based on a complete lack of feel for his team and the approach of opposing defenses and the number of repeated mistakes (and face it, how difficult it is to find an even competent QB). This play is not an example of his bad in-game coaching though.

Anthony!

Reaction score
The reality is we are asking way to much of a 4th year QB, We are asking him to make up for bad play design, bad play calling, bad oline, no run game, and WR who struggle to get open, a TE than is hit and miss and a HC who is always in his ear about TOs. And before anyone says yeah that is what he is getting paid for or something stupid like that, Rodgers the top Qb in the league is now struggling and his oline just went from top 12 to top 20. Showing that no matter how great your QB is everyone needs help. 2 years ago Brady struggled at first until Gronk came back and then things were great. No matter how great your QB is everyone needs help and right now Wilson is not getting a lot. NOt to say there are not things he could do better also, but given pretty much everything related to the offense is not working right, its tough to pin it on Wilson. Oh and then you OC, and OL coach throw you under the bus instead of taking responsibility and your HC lets them.

Tical21

Reaction score
Didn't Ben and Rodgers both win Super Bowls around their fourth seasons while having among the worst offensive lines in the league?

Anthony!

Reaction score
Tical21":3qf4x9v2 said:
Didn't Ben and Rodgers both win Super Bowls around their fourth seasons while having among the worst offensive lines in the league?

Well for one I mentioned several problems besides just oline. However that said

Rodgers won in 2011 which was his 7th year in the league 4th as a starter his oline was ranked 23rd in pass blocking
Ben won in 2006 which was his 3rd year in the league his oline was ranked 24th

FYI last time Wilson had an oline ranked 24th or higher we went to or won the SB. We are ranked 32nd big difference

Subzero717

Reaction score
Ahhh. This sooooo feels like 2008-2009 all over again. The Hass has returned.

The Oline has never been good. Not since Hutch left.

Not only did Bevell call him out, so did Baldwin and Lynch's agent. Not that the agent matters. Also Trent Dilfer.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":1xu02b8k said:
Optimus25":1xu02b8k said:
Bevell defense hinges on blaming the players or pointing to the super bowls, both of which are quickly debunked.

Bevell's best defense is Pete Carroll's endorsement, isn't it?

If people are going to put the blame on the coaches they should start at the top.
Ding, ding ding, winner.!!

lukerguy

Reaction score
Are you suggesting Pete is the problem? lol

You know after he turned a worthless roster into a SB champ in 3 years, followed by another SB appearance which should have been a victory...follow by a few late game collapses.

Continuity is a major key for an offense. Firing Bevell after two straight SBs would be knee jerk and unfair. After this year might be warranted but there's no guarantees it's going to solve the problem- an in-season firing would be diabolical (look at Det the last few weeks). We've seen this offense be efficient under Bevell which to me, if you were going to appropriate blame, you could look towards the oline. With even an average oline, this team is 8-1...

My guess is JS/PC trusted Cable a bit to much to be able to pull out a few more diamonds. It's one mistake. They will learn from it and be better.

I agree that Bevell seems to be vanilla, but then when I look at a 1 on 1 for Jimmy with 2 yards leverage on a short CB on an out, and he misses that along with Baldwin saying players are available..I think, well this is just a mixture of a lot of things, and most of which start with not being able to run the ball as we have in the past all game without penalty.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
lukerguy":2drx6z0t said:
Are you suggesting Pete is the problem? lol.

I don't think it's a stretch to make the architect and HC that holds ALL the offensive and defensive power at least partly culpable for being 4-5.

What's changed in two years, especially on the defensive side? 80% of the same players, most of which are All Pro's, or what you'd consider above average to elite defenders, and yet they can't hold a lead, can't stop from "miscommunicating" and keep allowing big drive after big drive.

5 losses, 5 4th quarter or overtime meltdowns.

That's absolutely Pete Carroll, it was his job to keep this roster motivated and playing at the same high level. He has not done that, plain and simple. He's allowed contentment and distraction into his locker room, and it's spilled over to the field.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ugfw4cf said:
lukerguy":1ugfw4cf said:

I don't think it's a stretch to make the architect and HC that holds ALL the offensive and defensive power at least partly culpable for being 4-5.

What's changed in two years, especially on the defensive side? 80% of the same players, most of which are All Pro's, or what you'd consider above average to elite defenders, and yet they can't hold a lead, can't stop from "miscommunicating" and keep allowing big drive after big drive.

That's absolutely Pete Carroll, it was his job to keep this roster motivated and playing at the same high level. He has not done that, plain and simple. He's allowed contentment and distraction into his locker room, and it's spilled over to the field.

Assuming the club has an epic collapse and never returns to be a top 2-3 team, I could see this argument. However, 10 months removed from being arguably the best team in the league, and 22 months removed from being the undisputed best team in the league deserves at least a few years slack IMO. It's almost impossible to create a dynasty in the NFL given the salary cap and fact that players' primes tend to be 4-5 years.

I am so grateful to him that I'd be glad to give him a few years of the benefit of the doubt before calling it his "fault" halfway through a season.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3qbhbi6x said:
lukerguy":3qbhbi6x said:

I don't think that was the problem. I think bad offensive drafting and a change of defensive HC can explain all that away, as well as undervaluing some offensive guys they've released (Rice, Miller, Unger).

Latest posts