Doug Baldwin or Golden Tate would of most likely caught it..

Tokadub

Reaction score
That final Hail Mary pass... which was our last offensive play vs the Giants...

With all due respect... Metcalf is very good... but let's be honest...

That was the most arc I've ever seen in the NFL that I remember... but 100% the most arc by Russell Wilson... the only way to play that ball was to jump and use your hands it was dropping almost vertically onto a bunch of players... from what I saw none of our receivers even came to close to high pointing it... maybe I'm wrong I didn't watch it more than once I was so disappointed in our receivers effort there... I'm just assuming Metcalf was the one tried to catch a jump ball in his chest vs many defenders...

The much smaller Doug Baldwin (especially) and Golden Tate (he's more of a body catcher but he knows when he needs to high point it)... I think one or both of them could of caught that ball...

In this case, I don't think it would matter we were probably going to run out of time anyways... but DK Metcalf got exposed a little bit on this play. That's his biggest weakness he doesn't seem to have the instinct, experience, or maybe just the confidence to high point a ball in that kind of situation.

From what I saw Metcalf tried to catch the ball in his chest when he is bigger and jumps higher than all of the people around him... he doesn't trust his hands... he needs to work on that but I do believe he can...

In my opinion I think Doug Baldwin would have had a much a better chance to make that play, maybe even Golden Tate... that's not a good sign because obviously they are way smaller... he should focus on trusting his hands more...

Look at Baldwin here he does a 1 handed high point grab... Metcalf didn't even attempt to use EITHER OF HIS HANDS to catch that last ball tonight...?

[youtube]SIrtlP6iu3E[/youtube]

Here is the same type of incredible play with Golden Tate:

[youtube]eQG1iNHzxYY[/youtube]

CONCLUSION:

I don't mean to flame Metcalf directly but if I saw that play correctly he didn't even attempt to high point the ball and that's something he should REALLY work on... that's unacceptable with his size and athleticism to not use it for jump balls...

Also... our team in general was just really poor catching the ball today... everything just bouncing off helmets and getting stripped by 1 hand of defenders... so many drops and just not attacking the ball in general... but the DK one was most obviously embarrassing to me.

I think he's a great player but that's a glaring hole in his game so far.

Zap90

Reaction score
Letting Tate walk in FA was one of the worst moves JS did. Trading for Harvin was a mistake.

Zap90

Reaction score
Btw TLDR

But you can’t really fault someone on a Hail Mary attempt. Did they even discuss where they would even throw the ball at?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Meh. No disrespect OP but they call those Hail Marys for a reason. The grouping was pretty much even blue shirts and white shirts. It would have been the play of the day had one of our receivers come down with it. Hard to fault anyone on that type of play. Lockett had an outside shot but that may have been the play of the year had he caught it.

I don’t disagree I like Baldwin or Tate in that situation but even they would have been hard pressed to snag that with so much traffic.

W

Welshers

No they wouldn't have. There's no receiver in the league who will "most likely" catch a hail mary. And no disrespect to those two, but metcalf is going to be far better than both

BandWagon11Hawk

Reaction score
This is such an off take on the last play.

The last play is no receiver's fault, you can only be a hero for making a ridiculous grab like that among 6 people, obviously.

The fault is, why is that play even being RUN? There were FORTY EIGHT seconds on the clock when that play started. How do other teams make that play and continue the drive to win?

- Edelman crosser between 14 and 19 yards.
- Gronk crosser at 18 or 19 yards
- Julio Jones crosser between 14 and 19 yards

... etc.

The catch Metcalf didn't make wasn't GIVEN to him. He's the best receiver of a generation, russ? You have time to wait for your TE to get 40 yards downfield? (when you need 19?)

Why would you draw up a hail mary, with so many converging on the ball at the same place, when you don't even need one?

Is this that schotty creativity everyone has been lauding?

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
When it happens like that (rarely), it seems blind luck is about the only factor.

I agree more that it was a somewhat ridiculous attempt at "hero ball". There was plenty of time left. Seems like a severe lack of patience.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
We can start looking for reasons why we lost the game. Or we can accept they lost and ease the endless searching. That is the coaches job. We can name a ton of other plays that didnt go our way.

Ultimately, Tate or Baldwin wouldnt have had it either.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Metcalf does not have outstanding hands.

What he does have is tremendous physical gifts that give him an advantage over every defender.

But relying on him to make clutch catches as a strategy isn't a great plan. He will make some, but miss some.

What we need is to throw more to him on 3rd and long when he is single covered. Even if he is not open. Then instruct him to commit PI if it looks like it might be a pick. We should be OK with a few INT as punts anyway as long as the ball lands near inside the far 30.

And if we get the penalty? We have a punter that can hit long punts, so the occasional penalty there won't kill us. The upside is worth it. People are going to cover Metcalf, I would still rather throw to him on 3rd and long than throw to Hollister short of the sticks.

Waiting until the end of the game to throw long to him and then just as a Hail Mary into group coverage? That is just spitting in the eyes of the football gods and we wouldn't deserve to win anyway.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I disagree.....It was not the type of ball they would catch. But the one person that would catch that kind of ball is Javon Kearse. Of course it would have bounced off his helmet, off his knee, up to his left arm, then bobbled to his chest where he would have clutched the ball in ecstasy. All this while having 3 defenders in his face. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Elemas

Reaction score
Well....catching it at the 20 (or wherever) would've done what?

Time ran out.

Reaction score
Metcalf outleaped everybody - the ball just was coming down a few feet to the right of where he was able to establish position.....And there's no way for him just to muscle his way over there in such a crowded group/bunching (the arc that is referred to above caused this by allowing everyone to group under it)

Wasn't a good play call OR pass. As noted above - best bet would have been about a 20 yard crossing route.

S1fld35

https://imgur.com/a/EQjpkVO

sutz

Reaction score
I disagree. Neither Doug nor Golden are as tall or as big as DK. That is one of the lowest percentage passes in the game. It's over. We lost. It sucks, but it's true. And even if he had caught it, there is no guarantee we would have completed another pass in the end zone after that.

:229031_shrug:

LTH

Reaction score
Aros":3cvf2gi4 said:
Meh. No disrespect OP but they call those Hail Marys for a reason. The grouping was pretty much even blue shirts and white shirts. It would have been the play of the day had one of our receivers come down with it. Hard to fault anyone on that type of play. Lockett had an outside shot but that may have been the play of the year had he caught it.

I don’t disagree I like Baldwin or Tate in that situation but even they would have been hard pressed to snag that with so much traffic.

I got to say Russ threw that ball so high it reminded me of a reggie Roby punt... it's a good thing there are no rafters because I'm pretty sure russ would have hit them... that was unreal...

LTH

TOPHawk

Reaction score
The real problem with that play was it appeared Lockett was breaking open on a crossing route that was a sure 1st down. Wilson didn't see him and went for the Hero Throw.

Amazingly, Lockett was just inches from catching that throw.