Bevell Not Going Anywhere

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Polaris":21jblee1 said:
Bluesbro":21jblee1 said:
It wasn't Bevell that threw the pass, nor Bevell that unnecessarily burned two timeouts on the final drive. Why is Wilson getting a pass here?

I blame Wilson for burning that first time out, and it was Pete that blew it for burning the second (because they waited too long because they weren't sure that Kearse actually caught that ball).).

I'd agree with you if we didn't still have one timeout left. From what Pete, Russell and Bevell said after the game they were running that slant regardless of timeouts, it was all predicated on NE's personnel, and zero to do with timeouts.

One timeout with 40 seconds is still enough time to run it twice.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Polaris":1hxysjc8 said:
DavidSeven":1hxysjc8 said:
Firing him now would be tough on Pete's image nationally. That would stain him forever and would look like scape-goating. If he had to do it, it would make more sense to do it mid-season or next off-season. Doing it now would be a really bad look (though I get that's there local wrath to contend with as well).

As far as "losing the lockerroom," that's a bit absurd. Sounds like fans projecting their own feelings onto the situation to be honest. Carroll took these guys to two SBs, and to be perfectly frank, the only guys I could imagine dissenting are guys who could be cut so easily I wouldn't bat an eyelash.

I respectfully disagree.

As for the first point, I've already said that Bevell shouldn't be fired today. That indeed would like like scapegoating (justified or not). Heck even John Clayton is saying that Bevell may need to be fired and it wouldn't surprise those in the league if that happened (Green Bay's special plays coach just lost his job for a similar reason).

As for losing the locker room, that's not absurd. It wasn't just the fans that were irate over the play to the point of blaming the coach. I'll leave it at that (and again John Clayton also thinks this may be an issue).

i dont disagree that the "locker room" may hang in the balance. but i'd disagree that Bevell needs to go immediately. it pins the whole thing on one person, and that is astray from the team's basic philosophy.

The players understand this, bought into it and thrive on it (right? isnt that what we have been told, by them?)

BullHawk33

Reaction score
the worst play call in Super Bowl history aside

We've won more games in the last 3 years than anyone else.

Polaris

Reaction score
Uncle Si":9yhwv0xs said:
i dont disagree that the "locker room" may hang in the balance. but i'd disagree that Bevell needs to go immediately. it pins the whole thing on one person, and that is astray from the team's basic philosophy.

The players understand this, bought into it and thrive on it (right? isnt that what we have been told, by them?)

I agree that Bevell shouldn't be fired immediately (today) because [I agree] it would be sending the wrong message. However, everyone has to be accountable for mistakes and some mistakes are so bad that you simply have to hang for them (ask Percy Harvin).

Maybe when tempers and feelings cool, my take on the locker room may change, but right now, within the team it's my understanding that Bevell is a chicken in a fox convention.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Polaris":39gunoj0 said:
As for losing the locker room, that's not absurd. It wasn't just the fans that were irate over the play to the point of blaming the coach. I'll leave it at that (and again John Clayton also thinks this may be an issue).

I just don't see it as an issue. These guys watch tape of themselves blowing plays every week. I really doubt they're going to let one play-call define their viewpoint on any particular coach. If Bevell took the St. Louis job, I'm sure there would be many Seahawk players who would still gladly cash a check from the Rams. At the end of the day, he is just one piece of the cog. Every player understands that he may ultimately be accountable in one way or the other.

As far as guys who couldn't contain their emotions postgame, well, like I said, I have sense of who they are and they generally aren't essential. Either they let it go or they get let go. Percy-style.

Polaris

Reaction score
BullHawk33":1fvps2zo said:
the worst play call in Super Bowl history aside

We've won more games in the last 3 years than anyone else.

The problem is "worst play call in the history of the Superbowl" is an awful lot to set aside....nor am I convinced that it should be.

hawk45

Reaction score
Uncle Si":16ow1bhz said:

My counter would be that the players have also bought into and thrive on competition and accountability. When Earl nearly cost us a game early in the season, he was yanked from the punt return role fairly quickly.

Bevell has had repeated times where he's come under fire for this type of playcall. He seems to be able to tamp it down for a while, but he always backslides. Now you can't just demote a coordinator on the depth chart, but from a player standpoint I can see Bevell's nine lives starting to get a little old.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
So John Clayton is your expert?A media persona>?I'd rather let Pete decide and if certain players don't like it -they can be replaced..

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Polaris":3mfx5074 said:
Uncle Si":3mfx5074 said:

I agree that Bevell shouldn't be fired immediately (today) because [I agree] it would be sending the wrong message. However, everyone has to be accountable for mistakes and some mistakes are so bad that you simply have to hang for them (ask Percy Harvin).

Maybe when tempers and feelings cool, my take on the locker room may change, but right now, within the team it's my understanding that Bevell is a chicken in a fox convention.

i think when people calm down a bit it will be different (knives away if you will)

that said, trust is a huge thing and i think bevell may have lost that in a significant number of his players.

Polaris

Reaction score
IndyHawk":678dklz3 said:
So John Clayton is your expert?A media persona>?I'd rather let Pete decide and if certain players don't like it -they can be replaced..

If you are talking about football x's and o's? Certainly not! If you are talking about what's really happening inside the locker room? Yes. Pete is notorious for not telling us what's going on (and btw, I think this is a GOOD thing) but I trust Pete's take on that as much as I trust a Belicheck injury report.

Hawks46

Reaction score
McGruff":3ka79mkf said:
SeaToTheHawks":3ka79mkf said:
Quote from Pete Carroll

"First off, Darrell is an incredible playcaller. He's done a fantastic job. We are so lucky to have him. He has been absolutely instrumental in what we have done. He is an awesome guy on our staff and crucially important to our future, as well."

It's a good thing Pete has never said that about anyone he's ever let go. Like Lendale White or Mike Williams.

But seriously, I think Bevell is here to stay, and we all better get used to it. And really, he's done a good job overall. I don't think we'd be where we are without him, nor would Wilson be who he is without him.

Are there significant flaws? Certainly. But other than Bill Walsh I've never know a perfect playcaller.

I'd agree with this. We could do a lot worse than Bevell. I mean, I'm pissed as hell at him, but ultimately, this is Pete's team. Don't for a minute think, that Pete didn't know what the call was, and signed off on it.

At the end of the 1st half, I was saying "just take the points". They threw the back shoulder fade to Matthews and got the TD. At that point I said 'never mind. You're smarter at football than me, Mr. Carroll".

firebee

Reaction score
Bevell had better be gone or the locker room is going to be gone. That was the most horrible playcall I've ever seen.
1. Even if you're going to pass the ball, YOU DON'T GO EMPTY BACKFIELD, and eliminate the defense's responsibility to stop the run. At least keep a back in the backfield to keep the defense honest.
2. You don't call a quick slant when you got 3 downs to punch it in. The quick slant is the most intercepted route out of all the routes that can be ran because the QB has to fire the pass without a read on the post-snap coverage. It is a horrible horrible call to make in that situation. FADE!!! The receiver either catches it and drags his feet or the ball's placed to go out of bounds. You don't put the ball at risk.
3. You have Marshawn Lynch... RUN THE BALL!!! I don't care if they have 12 men on the field all stacked in the box. You run the ball and make them respect the run, so you can work the play-action on the next down or the down after that.

That was seriously the most idiotic play I've ever seen in my life on so many levels it's not even funny. Not only was it a pass play on the first goalline attempt. It was an empty backfield. EMPTY FRICKIN BACKFIELD!!! The defense didn't have to account at all for the possibility of a run. Then you wonder why you have DBs jumping routes. They only had to worry about the routes. They didn't have to worry about the possibility of a run at all.

Firing Bevell wouldn't be up to Carroll or Schneider if I was Paul Allen. It would be a done deal. You guys have no say on this matter. Bevell blew it, has been repeatedly blowing it and will continue to blow it because he's an idiot. His playcalling sucks. I'm sick of hearing people credit Bevell for the success of our offense. We don't win because of Bevell's playcalling. We win because we have a QB and RB that can make amazing plays with their own individual Herculean effort, despite Bevell's atrocious playcalling.

Northhawk

Reaction score
There is no way anyone can say where the locker room is at other than those in that locker room. Anything else is pure speculation.

Osprey

Reaction score
I'm not calling for a radical change in offensive philosophy, but frankly removing Bevell from the equation wouldn't necessitate one.

As has been said, he's not the one setting the tone and doesn't have complete control. Pop psychology tells me that's the exact reason he has issues like this. He wants to be seen as a genius / guru and starts calling 'edgy' BS to prove it.
We don't need a genius OC, just one who's willing to use the tools at hand and occasionally apply a half time adjustment.

I'm praying to G-d that Pete is being PC and in a few weeks Bevell 'resigns'.

FanSince82

Reaction score
Management has to step up and do what Carroll can't do. For the good of the organization.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Carroll is a good coach, but if he is going to surround himself with garbage like Cable and Bevell then maybe Pete needs to go.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
firebee":34ouk3w7 said:
Bevell had better be gone or the locker room is going to be gone. That was the most horrible playcall I've ever seen.
1. Even if you're going to pass the ball, YOU DON'T GO EMPTY BACKFIELD, and eliminate the defense's responsibility to stop the run. At least keep a back in the backfield to keep the defense honest.
2. You don't call a quick slant when you got 3 downs to punch it in. The quick slant is the most intercepted route out of all the routes that can be ran because the QB has to fire the pass without a read on the post-snap coverage. It is a horrible horrible call to make in that situation. FADE!!! The receiver either catches it and drags his feet or the ball's placed to go out of bounds. You don't put the ball at risk.
3. You have Marshawn Lynch... RUN THE BALL!!! I don't care if they have 12 men on the field all stacked in the box. You run the ball and make them respect the run, so you can work the play-action on the next down or the down after that.

That was seriously the most idiotic play I've ever seen in my life on so many levels it's not even funny. Not only was it a pass play on the first goalline attempt. It was an empty backfield. EMPTY FRICKIN BACKFIELD!!! The defense didn't have to account at all for the possibility of a run. Then you wonder why you have DBs jumping routes. They only had to worry about the routes. They didn't have to worry about the possibility of a run at all.

Firing Bevell wouldn't be up to Carroll or Schneider if I was Paul Allen. It would be a done deal. You guys have no say on this matter. Bevell blew it, has been repeatedly blowing it and will continue to blow it because he's an idiot. His playcalling sucks. I'm sick of hearing people credit Bevell for the success of our offense. We don't win because of Bevell's playcalling. We win because we have a QB and RB that can make amazing plays with their own individual Herculean effort, despite Bevell's atrocious playcalling.

Marshawn was in the backfield to Russell's left.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Bevell has brought us to the playoffs 3 years in a row, the Super Bowel 2 years in a row. I think last night, in the heat of the moment, I let the emotions get the better of me in calling for his head.

Latest posts