Bevell Not Going Anywhere

Jville

Reaction score
IMHO Bevell values randomness is his play calling .... as does Carroll and Cable. The less versatile and more limited the tools they have at hand ... the less they have to chose from in their alignment with randomness. And the less uncertainty is presented to opponents.

With versatile players who can line up at multiple spots and provide multiple roles, they can opt for safer high percentage calls while maintaining randomness. As season attrition deprives play callers of versatile tools, higher risk comes into play as uncertainty thru personnel dwindles. A couple of examples of reduced uncertainty and randomness thru attrition would include .... a young Luke Wilson replacing Zack Miller as well as Will Tukuafu replacing a more versatile Derrick Coleman.

Another influence is the attrition of playmakers with special skills. The untimely loss of Paul Richardson was a more recent example of a lost special dimension. He ran a lot of decoy and influence routes to clear out teammates before he began to emerge as a go to receiver.

Time to heal up, reload and expand the offense.

Note:[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF_Steve/status/562399914337255424[/tweet]

kearly

Reaction score
This whole thing is starting to remind me of Nick Holt keeping his job way too long because he was a nice guy and Steve Sarkisian didn't have the guts to fire him sooner.

I am not saying that all the evils of our offense are on Bevell. But I think at this point it is abundantly clear that Bevell is hurting the team, not helping it. I don't think it would be hard to find a better OC than Bevell either. And I'm not saying this because of one playcall, even if that playcall hurt the team more than every other bad playcall he'd ever had previously combined. I just don't think this guy knows the fundamentals of NFL offense as well as he should. I don't think he'd have a job here if Pete Carroll had an offense background, and after yesterday I think Seattle might be the only place he could get a job in the NFL as an OC.

It really sucks that we'll probably have this guy as our OC for years, and a solid majority of our fanbase is going to have about as much affection for him as they do for Jerramy Stevens.

kearly

Reaction score
I don't think the locker room is going to be an issue. The players have seven months to move on and focus on next season. Most if not all of them will forgive.

Won't be forgotten though.

chet380

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1wn57jzv said:
SomersetHawk":1wn57jzv said:
As far as "losing the lockerroom," that's a bit absurd. Sounds like fans projecting their own feelings onto the situation to be honest. Carroll took these guys to two SBs, and to be perfectly frank, the only guys I could imagine dissenting are guys who could be cut so easily I wouldn't bat an eyelash.

Russell can do no wrong and Bevell cannot, and never has done anything right -- if you can't buy into those propositions, then find another board to post on.

The fact that this coaching staff has gotten this team to two consecutive Super Bowls and winning one is completely irrelevant to the Bevell-hate here. Thank God Willson didn't drop a pass or there would have been five pages of Willson hate again.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Polaris":13n1mn2g said:
McGruff":13n1mn2g said:
Polaris":13n1mn2g said:
SeaToTheHawks":13n1mn2g said:
Quote from Pete Carroll

"First off, Darrell is an incredible playcaller. He's done a fantastic job. We are so lucky to have him. He has been absolutely instrumental in what we have done. He is an awesome guy on our staff and crucially important to our future, as well."

I hope he reconsiders if he wants to keep his locker room.

I just listened to a bunch of post game quotes at .com, and not one of them sounded like they were ready to turn on their teammates or coaches.

That's not the story I've heard, and I'll leave it at that.
What guys say in the tunnel immediately after the game should not be held against them. And it really shouldn't have been reported either.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Well, Bevell did just call a game where our offense put up almost 400 yards of offense despite our defense allowing the Patriots to control the ball and time of possession.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3pgzwqor said:
You don't have to fire Bevell in order to re-allocate play calling to someone else.
Play calling's only part of the problem. I strongly dislike our very simplistic schemes and formations on offense.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kearly":2gp6c4n8 said:
This whole thing is starting to remind me of Nick Holt keeping his job way too long because he was a nice guy and Steve Sarkisian didn't have the guts to fire him sooner.

I am not saying that all the evils of our offense are on Bevell. But I think at this point it is abundantly clear that Bevell is hurting the team, not helping it. I don't think it would be hard to find a better OC than Bevell either. And I'm not saying this because of one playcall, even if that playcall hurt the team more than every other bad playcall he'd ever had previously combined. I just don't think this guy knows the fundamentals of NFL offense as well as he should. I don't think he'd have a job here if Pete Carroll had an offense background, and after yesterday I think Seattle might be the only place he could get a job in the NFL as an OC.

It really sucks that we'll probably have this guy as our OC for years, and a solid majority of our fanbase is going to have about as much affection for him as they do for Jerramy Stevens.
Agree 100%. Great post (as usual) Kip.

kearly":2gp6c4n8 said:
I don't think the locker room is going to be an issue. The players have seven months to move on and focus on next season. Most if not all of them will forgive.

Won't be forgotten though.
I think Pete taking blame and admitting it was on him too will keep the locker room OK.

God I wish this guy was gone right now, but I agree with the title of this thread. Sadly I don't believe he's going anywhere.

Mick063

Reaction score
Cool story. It won't stop me from bumping the fire Bevell threads though.

crosfam

Reaction score
Bevell will be with us one more year, then will be a head coach. One play will not ruin his career. He would have been a genius if the throw was a little better and we won it on a catch. Teams are studying our offense (and defense) and the copying will begin.

12thManHawkFan

Reaction score
GBs special teams coach was fired for a single play failure, and they still had multiple chances to win that game. Seems to me like Bevells sin is much greater. If we really want him fired we could always make draft day a reality.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Gotta' loves Carroll's attitude in his response. Not because we're keeping Bevell but because if we are going to replace him, it's not going to be done as a knee-jerk reaction after a heart-breaking loss. We're planners and we aren't going to move on from an imperfect coordinator only to put ourselves in a position where we might be forced to replace him with another imperfect coordinator all while needlessly sacrificing Bevell's experience working within this team.

What's strange though is our primary method for pursuing improvement is demanding for someone's removal. Eastern philosophers have criticized modern American culture's tendency to cause us to think people are made into what they are as opposed to something more logical, like thinking we instead grow into what are and what we continue to become. It's hard not to think about this criticism when what we're basically asking and even demanding is that PC and JS essentially throw Bevell away and buy us a better made coordinator. It also sheds some light onto the thinking of the anti-Bevell crowd and the direction this conversation ought to go from here on out.

What "Bevell-haters" want isn't any different from any other Seahawk fan. They want improvement and their desires are only more specific and focused upon the perceived weak-link that is Bevell. The problem is this specific focus does a disservices to the wealth of human capacity for improvement, clogs the canals for more constructive conversation, and leaves too little room for all the questions we ought to have. This is a form of rumination and rumination is ultimately useless.

Surely there's another direction to go for this conversation other than once again paraphrasing "Our OC is broken. Please buy us a new one." Surely we'll all get a lot more out of that conversation than the fruitless one we've been having since 2012.

If the only way improve our play-calling, formation selection, and all else is to find someone new then who? Why would that person want to come here to co-run the offense with Tom Cable when he might find an opportunity with more autonomy? If Bevell is to remain here and we still wish to improve, what negative tendencies of his must be accounted for in the future? Where is the fine-line between being effectively creative and a cutesy wannabe guru? When does Bevell tend to cross this line most?

Convince people with your reasoning and not your conclusion!

olyfan63

Reaction score
MrThortan":19l0w593 said:
Maybe Pete is trying to minimize the backlash, but I don't think so. If Bevell does stay, can he grow as an OC and learn from his mistakes? Calling Lockette out shows his character though, and that is not easily corrected. Pete and Bevell are going to need some serious conversations if he stays. Going to be an interesting off season.

That is the biggest red flag in this whole mess, Bevell calling out Lockette. Did Bevell really say what's being reported? Was it a taped press conference?

The difference between us and GB is that GB players and coaches couldn't throw each other under the bus fast enough after losing in the Rain City Resurrection. If Bevell is throwing Lockette under the bus in the media, Bevell needs to be gone for THAT, never mind the bonehead call. A playcall I bet Bevell will never make again, by the way. Or if they do, he and Russell will make the adjustments, in spades, to eliminate the risk. Russell will read better and place the ball better. Remember the throw is still on Russell. The NE rook did make a helluva play, though. It was a veteran, championship-quality NFL play. Too bad it came as a result of our middle-school-quality play call.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Bluesbro":va7faicw said:
It wasn't Bevell that threw the pass, nor Bevell that unnecessarily burned two timeouts on the final drive. Why is Wilson getting a pass here?

Can't argue with you. The playcall was the suckiest in history, but it was Russell's throw placement that left the TO possibility on the table. Wilson will learn... did learn... just in the most painful way possible. Wish it didn't have to be learned THERE. Guaranteed Russell will NEVER make that mistake again.

Optimus25

Reaction score
great. i love nfccg's and super bowls where we amass negative passing yardage in the first quarter and get thoroughly dominated by mid tier defenses. Always compete Pete! Except in the first quarters of championship games!

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Is Pete smoking the herb? Doesn't he know the posters on this board know way more than he does?

(Yes, Sheldon, it is called sarcasm.)

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Choose your words wisely. Sometimes the messenger gets shot.

Or maybe kicked down well of darkness or something, I guess; but whatever.

plyka

Reaction score
LTH":2ofnvjiw said:
brimsalabim":2ofnvjiw said:
Like I said In another thread Pete has just proved that he is a great salesman, showman, and motivational speaker but He is not a great coach. The man across the field from him coaching in his sixth super bowl and winning his fourth super bowl would have fired his OC for making that call and would never have allowed a coordinator who has already taken a HC job with another team to still coach his team in the super bowl.

But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Pete can fix this with " honest Monday" or what ever he calls it. Its strait out of a Zig Ziglar manual.

Did I read that right? Pete is not a great coach? REALLY? Wow!! That totally blows my mind... and I think you are wrong... maybe its like everybody so hurt by this loss that they just cant see past it right now... ok Im out of here for a month or so till everyone calms down...

LTH

Pete is a pretty good coach, I don't think anyone can deny that. But he has his faults. The main one is that there are very minute places where he is outrageously out coached. Bellicheck followed the San Diego method of dinking and dunking --why didn't the Hawks change it up? At least make it so they get beat in a different way.

Pete is a great coach when it comes to being the president --motivation, overall work ethic, etc. When it comes to the minute details, he leaves it up to his positional coaches. And in this game, the offensive coordinator made the worst mistake in football history. It just was and there is no way around it. I blame Bevell, and I blame Pete for allowing it to happen. It cost the Seahawks a superbowl.

It doesn't mean Pete should be fired or even Bevell should be fired. It just means that they were responsible for the worse playcall in football history. The fact that it came in the NFL makes it the worst in football history, just because the stakes at the NFL level are so much more than college or highschool or PeeWee ball. The fact that it came in the superbowl makes it the worst in NFL and thus football history. For the Pete/Bevell supporters, there is no reason to lie. You may think he is an incredible coach, but then just admit that an incredible coach is responsible for the biggest most insane call in football history. Everyone makes mistakes, even great coaches.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2w7qfstk said:
Choose your words wisely. Sometimes the messenger gets shot.

Or maybe kicked down well of darkness or something, I guess; but whatever.

You talkin' to me? :les:

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
olyfan63":2lb0z37f said:
Bluesbro":2lb0z37f said:
It wasn't Bevell that threw the pass, nor Bevell that unnecessarily burned two timeouts on the final drive. Why is Wilson getting a pass here?

Can't argue with you. The playcall was the suckiest in history, but it was Russell's throw placement that left the TO possibility on the table. Wilson will learn... did learn... just in the most painful way possible. Wish it didn't have to be learned THERE. Guaranteed Russell will NEVER make that mistake again.
Probably not because he can't control Lockette ' s route running. Lockette is probably gone next year.

Latest posts