Bevell was better, still it pains me

McGruff

Reaction score
Is it Bevell's fault Luke Willson drops a wide open pass that would've been a big play? Is it Bevell's fault that Wilson threw the next pass into the dirt on a throw to A wide open miller that would've been a first down? Is it Bevell's fault that Okung holds on a TD play or that a beautiful pass and catch by Willson and Wilson is nuillified by a Rams penalty?

Players execute, and the difference between a game like this week, a game like last week, and a game like the Siants is usually found in execution, not play calling.

Hawks46

Reaction score
It's simple: we don't have the weapons at WR to sit back and sling it around the field a lot.

We don't have a dominating OL that can run it at you over and over again when you know it's coming, and can't stop it.

We need to be balanced. I'd agree that we need some variety in the type of routes we run. I'd also like to point out this: if you look at our offense under Wilson since he started out as a rookie (Bevell was obviously OC ), we've always been a better 2nd half team than a 1st half team. We're typically very good on both sides of the ball at making halftime adjustments.

Lately, it seems different (especially AZ) but on the whole, Bevell is actually good at making in game adjustments. I was disappointed that we went entirely away from the screen game against AZ, but there might've been something schematically or personnel-wise dictating that the screens wouldn't work (I'm basing this off of the defense AZ played and that screens typically do well against it; I haven't scouted anything).

We are going to see Bevell go I think. There are too many HC vacancies this year to fill; someone is going to have to take a flyer on a fringe guy like Bevell. Like someone else mentioned above, Bates got fired for not doing things Pete's way; any other OC brought in will be similar. I had the same thought about Chudzinski, but I'm not sure he fits here.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
McGruff":273sbr15 said:
Is it Bevell's fault Luke Willson drops a wide open pass that would've been a big play? Is it Bevell's fault that Wilson threw the next pass into the dirt on a throw to A wide open miller that would've been a first down? Is it Bevell's fault that Okung holds on a TD play or that a beautiful pass and catch by Willson and Wilson is nuillified by a Rams penalty?

Players execute, and the difference between a game like this week, a game like last week, and a game like the Siants is usually found in execution, not play calling.
You make an excellent point, but I still believe you're only 2/3 right because I believe roughly 2/3 of the team's offensive issues in the last 4 weeks are a matter of execution. The lack of calling a short passing game, the lack of a screen game, the pointless play action on 3rd and long, the empty backfield formations on 3rd and short (showing your "pass" hand to the opponent) and a game plan of nearly all runs and long passes with a depleted WR corps still falls on Bevell. IMO, he could be better though better o-line play would make a larger difference and help with better execution.

iigakusei

Reaction score
I swear some people think we should be winning every game 50-0. EVERY team has flaws. Could our playcalling be better on offense? Maybe. You think San Fran isnt crapping their pants bout their secondary? Carolina's offense is shaky at best. Green Bay's defense is putrid. New Orleans look amazing at home and garbage on the road. Philly who knows? Worry about this kind of stuff in the off-season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1wwok2nm said:
You make an excellent point, but I still believe you're only 2/3 right because I believe roughly 2/3 of the team's offensive issues in the last 4 weeks are a matter of execution. The lack of calling a short passing game, the lack of a screen game, the pointless play action on 3rd and long, the empty backfield formations on 3rd and short (showing your "pass" hand to the opponent) and a game plan of nearly all runs and long passes with a depleted WR corps still falls on Bevell. IMO, he could be better though better o-line play would make a larger difference and help with better execution.

I counted quite a few quick outs and passes yesterday, mostly to Golden, and with success.

As far as the screen game goes, we don't have the personnel to have much success with screens. Good screens require a quick scat back type of RB (or a Percy Harvin type........if only we had one of those!) that can make people miss in space. Lynch isn't that kind of back, which is why when we do try a screen on ocassion, it usually fails miserably.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1gpbwl5z said:
hawksfansinceday1":1gpbwl5z said:

I counted quite a few quick outs and passes yesterday, mostly to Golden, and with success.

As far as the screen game goes, we don't have the personnel to have much success with screens. Good screens require a quick scat back type of RB (or a Percy Harvin type........if only we had one of those!) that can make people miss in space. Lynch isn't that kind of back, which is why when we do try a screen on ocassion, it usually fails miserably.
Yes, I also saw some short passing game yesterday....finally! And yes, it was successful and thus my point in reference to the lack of same vs. AZ.

As for the screen game, it can be successful no matter who's catching the ball if your o-line can get out and block for the receiver though I will grant you a Harvin type that can also make people miss in the open field (wouldn't that be so nice) will most often be more effective. I'd still like to see it one or two times a game though.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
13-3, Division Champs, #1 seed.
I'm not a Bevell fan at all, but come on, he made adjustments, and they took the game over.

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2tlsfmxy said:
plyka":2tlsfmxy said:
What difference did we see this week? Well, the long bomb was only used strategically, not on every 3rd down and 3 play. Good Bevell, good.

There were tons of intermediate and short routes. Good again Bevell. But my question is, why can't you make these changes when it is OBVIOUS that the long bomb is not working? Like last week, why not make in game adjustmejnts?

Bevell saw what 75% of this board saw over the week. The team against Arizona was too stuck on run or long bomb. There was no situational awareness, as on 3rd and 2 they would call plays where 3 WRs would run go routes and Wilson would throw a 50 yard bomb. This game there was much better awareness. On 3rd and 5, they would throw high percentage plays. Good Bevell, now try to see your weakness in game, or even BEFORE THE GAME..

The fatal flaw in your logic is not placing the blame for all this stuff on Russell, the O-Line and the WR's, because they're the ones that determine what happens on each passing play.

When Russell comes to the line, he has 2-3 plays given to him by Bevell to run depending on what the defense is showing. Russell then stays with the play, or changes it. So when the balls hiked it's all on Russell and the WR's, TE's, etc to either throw short, intermediate, long, check down, whatever.

So to chastise Bevell over the playcalling is dumb.

Exactly. In the end it's the players that have to execute to succeed.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":clpq6k74 said:
13-3, Division Champs, #1 seed.
I'm not a Bevell fan at all, but come on, he made adjustments, and they took the game over.
Bevell's history, he'll sit and have a nice game once in a while then go back to the same predictable garbage and we have major problems on offense. Plus, we had what, three scoreless drives to start on offense yesterday? Four? Our first offensive score was a field goal with 6:32 left in the 2nd quarter.

Vince Verhei of Football Outsiders":clpq6k74 said:
The whistle-to-whistle stuff is pretty obvious here. Seattle's defense is playing out of their minds right now. The offense is having all kinds of problems, especially along the offensive line, where the starters are back but still getting dominated. The play-calling is exacerbating that problem by inexplicably going pass-wacky and using a heavy dose of empty-back spread sets. That leaves the linemen in one-on-one situations, and that leaves Russell Wilson running for his life. The only consistent weapon Seattle had today was off-tackle runs, but they kept going away from that for whatever reason. It's why, I think, the Panthers are the scariest possible matchup for Seattle in the playoffs. That defensive line against this offensive line could be an absolute horror show.

^ Vince Verhei from Football Outsiders sums our offensive problems up pretty well right there. We totally telegraph a lot of our plans to defenses. It's pathetic.

Bevell, please get yourself a head coaching job somewhere.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Our line is the primary problem. Watching from the end zone yesterday, I was amazed again at how bad they are. We need SERIOUS upgrade there.

We lack creativity this year. Where are all the gadget plays we did so well last season? Where is Mike Rob in the passing game? Seam passes to Miller?

Offense is too bland.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Some of you guys ripping Bevell forget that Pete is about as heavily involved in every facet of his team's schemes and playcalling as any coach in the league.

Holmgren just talked about the playcalling on his weekly segment this morning. He said it's very obvious that Pete is just fine with playing conservative offense and letting the defense win the game. So when you're blaming Bevell for the conservative playcalling, make sure to take a swing at Pete, because the buck stops with him with how this team schemes each and every week.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
You guys are going to be disappointed when Bevell leaves and Pete just hires another long-bomb-obsessed HC.

McGruff

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1p42ihxf said:
Our line is the primary problem. Watching from the end zone yesterday, I was amazed again at how bad they are. We need SERIOUS upgrade there.

We lack creativity this year. Where are all the gadget plays we did so well last season? Where is Mike Rob in the passing game? Seam passes to Miller?

Offense is too bland.

We had a gimmick pla called on an end around to Tate that was going to be a pass to RW3, but it got stopped due to a Rams penalty.

Another one of those "if only" moments that is happening more frequently during the course of the last four weeks. Sometimes the ball rolls your way . . . Sometimes it goes sideways. We're getting a lot of sideways on offense lately.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2nzttd5p said:

Offense is too bland.
You know how much harder it is for our offensive line to do their job when the defense knows with 99% accuracy that we're passing when we're in an empty back set before the snap, too? It's ridiculous.
Sgt. Largent":2nzttd5p said:
Some of you guys ripping Bevell forget that Pete is about as heavily involved in every facet of his team's schemes and playcalling as any coach in the league.

Holmgren just talked about the playcalling on his weekly segment this morning. He said it's very obvious that Pete is just fine with playing conservative offense and letting the defense win the game. So when you're blaming Bevell for the conservative playcalling, make sure to take a swing at Pete, because the buck stops with him with how this team schemes each and every week.
Stop passing the buck. You can still have a conservative offense that isn't stupidly predictable. See my comment above to Greg, and further up where I quoted the guy from Football Outsiders.
MontanaHawk05":2nzttd5p said:
You guys are going to be disappointed when Bevell leaves and Pete just hires another long-bomb-obsessed HC.
Yeah, just like we were disappointed in losing Bradley and getting Quinn. If we get a new OC for the 2014 season, our offense will be better. Mark my words. Take a screenshot. Bookmark it. Do whatever.

formido

Reaction score
A long bomb heavy offense is awesome. Regardless of whose fault it was, ONLY throwing bombs at AZ in the rain was stupid. And when Seattle started throwing occasional short passes against St. Louis, it opened up the offense. Pretending this is a black and white issue gets us nowhere. It's a matter of degree.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3jz76ae3 said:
MontanaHawk05":3jz76ae3 said:
Yeah, just like we were disappointed in losing Bradley and getting Quinn. If we get a new OC for the 2014 season, our offense will be better. Mark my words. Take a screenshot. Bookmark it. Do whatever.

Sorry, was there an actual argument in there somewhere?

Seaswab

Reaction score
When Wilson overthrows a wide open Baldwin on the first drive of the game, how is that Bevells fault?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1n2kve7n said:
Stop passing the buck. You can still have a conservative offense that isn't stupidly predictable. See my comment above to Greg, and further up where I quoted the guy from Football Outsiders..

Predictable, Conservative, same thing to me.

I'm not arguing that I'd like to see the offense open up a little, but to say it's all on Bevell and not Pete is shortsighted. This is Pete's team, any and all offensive scheming come directly from him first.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":9kq406d0 said:
MontanaHawk05":9kq406d0 said:
Sorry, was there an actual argument in there somewhere?

Not at all, just want you to remember my prediction if we replace Bevell.

Ah. So since we're just wasting each other's time at this point, can I lodge my own prediction that I'll remind you that we went (at least) 33-19 and reached the playoffs twice under Bevell?