Bevell

mrt144

Reaction score
LymonHawk":1dxrt567 said:
Why do you folks think our not beating the blitz is Bevell's fault? Try blitzing on Manning, Rodgers, or Brady and see how you do? You think it's because of snappy play calling, or is it the fact they are all QBs who aren't afraid to make GOOD snap decisions and aren't afraid to act on those decisions.

RW on the other hand....

LOL, RW is afraid of making good snap decisions.

Come on, up your game.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
LymonHawk":2i2oetyz said:
Why do you folks think our not beating the blitz is Bevell's fault? Try blitzing on Manning, Rodgers, or Brady and see how you do? You think it's because of snappy play calling, or is it the fact they are all QBs who aren't afraid to make GOOD snap decisions and aren't afraid to act on those decisions.

RW on the other hand....

So we just paid $84M to a QB that can't beat the blitz? Yikes.

mrt144

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":182solqy said:
LymonHawk":182solqy said:

RW on the other hand....

So we just paid $84M to a QB that can't beat the blitz? Yikes.

That's the price of not being objectively terrible as a QB in the NFL. RW isnt even a top 10 QB cap hit in the NFL until 2018.

Also, both of you are seriously comparing RW to 3 HoF QBs in the now? Have fun with your childish laments.

quneur

Reaction score
Hawk-A-Loogie":t65ctc1z said:
Should we be worried that we only scored 3 points in the 2nd half? Opposed to 17 in the first? I'm not trying to start anything. Just wondering what everyone else thinks.

I suspect the play calling gets a little less creative when trying to hold a lead.

Bevell did okay. The 49ers aren't a team that can make a comeback right now. At the start of the fourth, he called run, run, pass, punt again which I had to roll my eyes again. The next series Lynch made a good run on first and (If I recall correctly) the next was a pass. He did call two high percentage pass plays in the game; one to Graham up the seam and another to Lockett on the sideline, although I believe Lockett was just an out as he just sat there on the 7.

My criticism is his time management in the fourth. Run out the clock but only within field goal range. Outside of that, play your regular game. Run a mix of run plays and high percentage passing plays to take time off the clock because a short pass will still make clock run if tackled in bounds. If you don't make a first down at least you can attempt a field goal.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
kearly":26ucj54a said:
I thought he did mostly fine.

My only critique of Bevell this game is that he kept calling deep / developing pass plays despite the fact that Gilliam and Bailey couldn't stop anyone and weren't getting any help. It was almost as if the coaching staff was going trial by fire mode on pass pro, and the result was a sack rate around 15% for the game. I didn't like seeing Wilson taking that many hits, especially with a win looking like a forgone conclusion by mid-2nd quarter.

This is my consistent complaint with Bevell's calls. It always seems like 5 Yards of protection but plays that take 10 yards worth to develop. I don't know what he's seeing or whether he's living in a fools paradise?

If Russell wasn't as mobile and shifts he is, he'd be long since pounded enough to be on IR. His sack totals are scary and need to be cut down before one results in an injury, fingers crossed it doesn't happen.

mrt144

Reaction score
Also, there's something at play that struck me - Bevell absolutely isn't using every means to compensate for RW's shortcomings nor can he and this could be in attempt to get him to learn in a trial by fire. It seriously can't all be on RW to play like a HoF QB nor can it all be on Bevell to figure out how to deal with it without stunting learning opportunities.

I know fans tend to view players as premolded automatons who either are defective or perfect but coaching matters.

I'm just going to repeat myself on the aspects of how this team isn't conducive to passing or taking the pressure off of RW, so I won't bother.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
LymonHawk":2guffml1 said:

RW on the other hand....

Wilson can't snap-decide to throw to hot routes that aren't there.

Check out Scottemojo's critiques sometime. Play design is a problem as surely as play-calling.

mrt144

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":6gcl91ht said:
LymonHawk":6gcl91ht said:

RW on the other hand....

Check out Scottemojo's critiques sometime. Play design is a problem as surely as play-calling.

Do remedial passing games even practice such concepts? :stirthepot:

RichNhansom

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2rf7d5dp said:
LymonHawk":2rf7d5dp said:

RW on the other hand....

I am not an expert but aren't the play designs set up to audible presnap if your reading a blitz?

I think someone above made a very good point (actually a couple people) there are many moving parts in an offense and it is highly unlikely that one part is the reason for success or failure. I like the point of how the Monday morning meeting might have went. Does Pete or Bevel ask why he didn't audible out of a play or where the slot corner or RB were at in case of a blitz? We have no way of knowing if there were blown assignments, bad line calls or audible options to even be had.

Many around here seem pretty full of their opinion. If it was even remotely close to as bad as some here think don't you think Pete and Cable would be questioning it? Do you really think we get to back to back super bowls?

I think of the webzone when I read some of these comments. For the last couple years when the team started to struggle, that fan base went whole heartedly after Roman (9ers OC last year) and placed 100% of the blame on his play calling and lack of creativity. The GM's daughter even tweeted for him to go away after the Seahawks ate Turkey on they're logo. How is that working out for them? Now with Roman gone Kaep suddenly looks like a lost child on the field. No one seems to want to mention it but Wilson's knowledge level may have something to do with the way we are calling games. It's not a knock on Wilson. He is just in his 4th year and really has been brought along slowly. Maybe because he needed to be or maybe because Pete thought it best. Point being it is yet another possibility.

In fact some of Wilson's struggles this year would make alot of sense if he is trying (by fire as some say) to expand his game. If they are trying to give him more it could explain some of this.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2c3zwhhv said:
I am not an expert but aren't the play designs set up to audible presnap if your reading blitz.

Yes. If the QB believes a blitz is coming faster than the play can develop, he generally needs to audible and signal to a receiver to break off the designed route and run a hot route instead. That's done at the line, and I really doubt the OC ever sends in a play that doesn't have an option to this effect.

Cartire and Rich bringing fire to this thread. Agree with them both completely.

Threedee

Reaction score
During the first half last week, I thought to myself that it looked like Bevell was responding to criticism, doing all of the things that fans wanted him to do. I was even tempted to start a thread, praising the 12th Man for Bevell's new look. Then the 4th Quarter offense happened...

Scottemojo

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":36y0zk0a said:
LymonHawk":36y0zk0a said:

RW on the other hand....

Don't make me out to be some sort of expert. I watch as much football as a can, and post my opinions. Which are worth dick.

It is my opinion that our offensive concepts don't take advantage of blitzes by putting receivers into the spots the blitzers just vacated, not with regularity. Some of my favorite offenses over the years run slot receivers and tight ends straight to the zones the blitzers came from. If the defense adjusts and buzzes a robber down behind the blitzer, then the big play opportunities down the field open up.

It feels to me like the Hawks go right past the first part and straight to the opportunities down the field, which over three years it seems defenses have adjusted to. Cover deep and blitz, Seattle will not aggressively go after the 5 to 10 yard area in the middle of the field if you send those guys. But to be honest, that part of Bevell's playcalls don't even come close to his cute stuff. "Lets put two fullbacks out wide in a 5 wide, they will never expect that. Of course, it won't be so two blockers can set up a screen, it will be so we can motion one of them into the backfield.! They ain't seen shit like that before!" Baldwin at halfback? That may give a defense a moment of pause, but scare them into a mistake? Hardly. Bevell is at his worst when he pretends he is a bit of a magician.

However, I will give him the tiniest bit of credit. He ran Lynch in the red zone, and other than one cute play action that did not work for shit, he stuck with the run and we got a TD. It seems every year we get away from the run just a bit, and have to get it back. I think this was that game. Not running in the red zone has been an issue for us, we have to get over that. Not running on third down has been an issue, we have to get over that too.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Cartire":2antylze said:
Sgt. Largent":2antylze said:
PS. Why is Josh McDaniels a bum as a head coach, but a genius as the Patriot's OC? Gee, do you think it has more to do with who he's coaching with and QB than his amazing sophisticated schemes and plays?

This right here. Crazy how McDaniels all of a sudden became an AMAZING OC. Almost like there is some sort of correlation in there.
Some guys are amazing OC's but are crappy Head coaches. Some guys are good at both. Some guys are good at neither, see who this topic is about.

Wade Philips is a very good DC, but a crappy HC.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Got to give credit where it is due. That was a well-called game. It seems he is following the same script as last season. We lose a few early-season games due, in part, to bad play calling, then we start feeding Marshawn 20+ times a game and all is well. It seems Bevell just needs to be continually re-calibrated by Carroll. His weaknesses in play calling are still evident, but they can be compensated for with strong defense and a continued emphasis on running the ball.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":19fao9e8 said:
Got to give credit where it is due. That was a well-called game. It seems he is following the same script as last season. We lose a few early-season games due, in part, to bad play calling, then we start feeding Marshawn 20+ times a game and all is well. It seems Bevell just needs to be continually re-calibrated by Carroll. His weaknesses in play calling are still evident, but they can be compensated for with strong defense and a continued emphasis on running the ball.

I wonder where he'd be but for Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch...

Fade

Reaction score
A positive I have seen is they are finally sending Jimmy on more vertical routes between the seams the last 2 games, instead of out routes, short curls, dump offs, and even bubble screens :34853_doh: . This is not only what Jimmy does best, but is the perfect compliment to the run game, play-action, and also just putting immense pressure on the safeties trying to guess if it is run or pass in a loaded box. The next step is to get some crossers underneath to again draw opposing safeties attention and go up top to Jimmy, if they don't bite the crossers underneath should be open.

Lockett needs to be on the field at all times, if a team gets caught cheating the run, they can't both bracket Jimmy, and Tyler one of them should see 0 coverage. In this scenerio (most likely Lockett) it can lead to a lot of big plays in the passing game. The long TD off play action against SF was an example of this. It was Quarters Coverage, and the safeties cheated up and bit on the run fake, Tyler Lockett ends up being 1-on-1 against a safety with no help on a post route. Mis-Match... touchdown.

There is no reason why this can't happen consistently, because if you don't cheat up to stop the run The Seahawks will run it down their opponents throat. If this continues the offense will be hard to stop the second half of the season.

The protection calls are my biggest irk right now. No Unger is really hurting that, and Wilson has to get a lot better at it ASAP.

joeshaney

Reaction score
Didn't read the entire thread but thought I'd chime in on the topic of Bevell.

We scored 3 points in the second half against a bad, dysfunctional team.

I do like what Lynch did but we already know that we can run the ball when we commit to it. Our issue has been the passing game. Our issue remains the passing game.

Bevell has to go. It isn't all on him. I'd even say that he has some good qualities. But we need a spark that he will not provide.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":3cjpf166 said:
hawknation2015":3cjpf166 said:

I wonder where he'd be but for Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch...

And the vikings defense was pretty good too when he was there. At least the Dline was nasty. And he had Favre for a year

Latest posts