Bevell

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
joeshaney":3skgyyke said:
Didn't read the entire thread but thought I'd chime in on the topic of Bevell.

We scored 3 points in the second half against a bad, dysfunctional team.

I do like what Lynch did but we already know that we can run the ball when we commit to it. Our issue has been the passing game. Our issue remains the passing game.

Bevell has to go. It isn't all on him. I'd even say that he has some good qualities. But we need a spark that he will not provide.
The spark comes from players executing. Bevell's role is to facilitate the talents of the players into a dynamic scheme that produces wins. He's accomplished that the last two years better than any if his peers. He is right where he needs to be.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2i5ugnjn said:
joeshaney":2i5ugnjn said:

I do like what Lynch did but we already know that we can run the ball when we commit to it. Our issue has been the passing game. Our issue remains the passing game.

Bevell has to go. It isn't all on him. I'd even say that he has some good qualities. But we need a spark that he will not provide.
The spark comes from players executing. Bevell's role is to facilitate the talents of the players into a dynamic scheme that produces wins. He's accomplished that the last two years better than any if his peers. He is right where he needs to be.

F501ab433cbe4c96c417612bc94e2a82
Dwight20Coward20Brooklyn20Howard20Super20Logo

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1evfkavy said:
hawknation2015":1evfkavy said:
Meanwhile, Seattle is still LAST in the league in scoring TDs in the red zone. Who is No. 31? The 49ers.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/r ... coring-pct
It's a byproduct of Pete's formula and you know that. Nice vintage Clark Kent

No, I don't think that's right. Carroll's teams at USC were some of the most efficient in the country in the red zone:
http://www.cfbstats.com/2008/leader/nat ... ort05.html

We have too many dominant red zone threats -- Wilson's scrambling ability, Marshawn's tackle-breaking ability, and Graham's jump ball abilities -- to struggle more than anyone else in the league at scoring TDs in the red zone.

I think if someone like Tom Cable was given an opportunity to call plays in the red zone, we would be a more efficient team in those situations. Most of the time, it seems like Bevell tries to get cute, abandons the run, and/or attempts to 'out-smart' the defense with something unexpected that does not play to our strengths. Although I will admit that the red zone play calling did finally improve in Santa Clara. I just don't trust him to stay at that level consistently, and eventually his innate proclivities will come out and further hinder the offense at another critical moment.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1edkpi23 said:
Siouxhawk":1edkpi23 said:
hawknation2015":1edkpi23 said:
Meanwhile, Seattle is still LAST in the league in scoring TDs in the red zone. Who is No. 31? The 49ers.

No, I don't think that's right. Carroll's teams at USC were some of the most efficient in the country in the red zone:

We have too many dominant red zone threats -- Wilson's scrambling ability, Marshawn's tackle-breaking ability, and Graham's jump ball abilities -- to struggle more than anyone else in the league at scoring TDs in the red zone.

I think if someone like Tom Cable was given an opportunity to call plays in the red zone, we would be a more efficient team in those situations. Most of the time, it seems like Bevell tries to get cute, abandons the run, and/or attempts to 'out-smart' the defense with something unexpected that does not play to our strengths. Although I will admit that the red zone play calling did finally improve in Santa Clara. I just don't trust him to stay at that level consistently, and eventually his innate proclivities will come out and further hinder the offense at another critical moment.

Last game the play calling looked much better because Lynch was firing on all cylinders.

I think the combination of a bad O-line and Lynch not 100% is to much to expect any QB or OC to overcome. Add one or the other and suddenly you start executing. When you are executing the play call the OC looks much better but expecting an OC to draw up a game plan with no running game and poor O-line play is alot to ask.

I do believe they are trying to develop the passing game because Lynch won't be Beast mode forever and for us to continue to be successful Wilson will need to pick up the slack. The problem is Wilson is still a young QB and the difficulties with the O-line and up until this year a below average receiving corp have stunted Wilson's ability to grow and develop.

The early part of this season was a combination of poor o-line play, lack of chemistry with the receivers and timing and Lynch being hobbled. As the chemistry and timing improve and assuming Lynch stays healthy we should see a much better second half of the season to go along with improvement from the O-line and development of Wilson.

By the way did anyone notice that Tyler Lockett was our top receiver last game? 5 catches and a TD. Kearse was next with three. Graham also looked much improved. The hiccups are ironing out and I fully believe this team will become dynamic as the season rolls on. If we can stay relatively healthy I see us as the team to beat come playoff time.

Keep in mind Clark looks like he is coming along nicely. Hill will be back and P-Rich and Lane should also be back and contributing around playoff time.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2o16xyga said:
Siouxhawk":2o16xyga said:
hawknation2015":2o16xyga said:

Marshawn has led the league in rushing touchdowns the past 2 years, so no, Bev is not getting too cute (ridiculous word that shouldn't even be used in football parlance) and no, he doesn't abandon the run. He does what is necessary.

capncrunch

Reaction score
I see an improvement in the use of screen passes vs.bubble screens as the season moves along. That can be huge for us. The occasional bubble is okay. I'd like to see Marshawn catch some more passes. I can remember him having some very nice gains in previous seasons as a pass catcher. I don't really get the running backs going out wide so much. I like the use of Tokuafu in the offense. I am seeing improvement in the way Graham is used. It's too bad he didn't catch that other one over the middle, but we'll see more of those going forward. I like the use of the deep ball, but maybe not quite as much, but we did hit them two games in a row. It seems Pete, though he won't admit it, is easing up on his "protect the football" crap. In a sense you could say this will make Bevell and RW look better in the long run. I think we use to have more success with running plays in the second half with leads in the last three seasons, so we continue to try that and defenses have succeeded in stopping us pretty well. Guys seem to rung right past the center and guard and we have a loss. I am optimistic that we will see improved running in general and in particular in the fourth quarter. This will open up some short passing opportunities to JG and others to reduce our number of three and outs. I think Lockett, Lynch and Graham wiss shine in the upcoming games. Looking forward to seeing our offense going forward.

quneur

Reaction score
I watched the game again and 'ground' Bevell sure likes to run, run, pass. Luckily, Lynch ran well. I think Indianapolis falls into the same trap Seattle did - every pass play has to be a big play.

joeshaney

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2zfiwvu8 said:
joeshaney":2zfiwvu8 said:

LOL, funny.
Two thoughts.
Players who don't perform can be cut. If it is 100% on the players, than there would be no need to employ coaches. In other words, if were going to employ a coach they need to be held accountable.

Now, if you want to say the accountability lies in the fact that we've had success as a team than that makes sense. I happen to attribute our success to our historic defense and bruising running game (see Tom Cable/Assistant Head Coach/Running Game Coordinator).

But hey, maybe your right. Either coaches don't play a role in teaching execution or Darrell Bevell is the one responsible for our teams recent success. To each his own.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
joeshaney":2w673ok8 said:
Siouxhawk":2w673ok8 said:
joeshaney":2w673ok8 said:

LOL, funny.
Two thoughts.
Players who don't perform can be cut. If it is 100% on the players, than there would be no need to employ coaches. In other words, if were going to employ a coach they need to be held accountable.

Now, if you want to say the accountability lies in the fact that we've had success as a team than that makes sense. I happen to attribute our success to our historic defense and bruising running game (see Tom Cable/Assistant Head Coach/Running Game Coordinator).

But hey, maybe your right. Either coaches don't play a role in teaching execution or Darrell Bevell is the one responsible for our teams recent success. To each his own.
Football's a team game. Too many moving parts to lay the blame or glory on one sole individual. Cable and Bevell both can take pride in their contributions to making a Super Bowl the past two seasons.

chris98251

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3vshdz58 said:
joeshaney":3vshdz58 said:
Siouxhawk":3vshdz58 said:
joeshaney":3vshdz58 said:

LOL, funny.
Two thoughts.

Football's a team game. Too many moving parts to lay the blame or glory on one sole individual. Cable and Bevell both can take pride in their contributions to making a Super Bowl the past two seasons.

Can say the same thing about driving a car, but if the driver goes down the wrong side of the interstate is it the car's fault or the person in the drivers seat.

mrt144

Reaction score
Cmon, why are you even talking about Bevell with SouixHawk? The inscrutable and infallible football genius is beyond debate people, wake up.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":13qq5mx4 said:
joeshaney":13qq5mx4 said:
Siouxhawk":13qq5mx4 said:
joeshaney":13qq5mx4 said:

LOL, funny.
Two thoughts.

Can say the same thing about driving a car, but if the driver goes down the wrong side of the interstate is it the car's fault or the person in the drivers seat.[/quote]
Analogy NA

chris98251

Reaction score
Because you don't want it to be, nobody is at fault cause for that to happen everyone would have to be at fault, there are to many moving parts and that's too confusing to digest and figure out, easier to tell everyone they are special and that nobody has to accept responsibility, the world is happy and we all have Kool aide and a gold star above our name.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":3xuph1um said:
Because you don't want it to be, nobody is at fault cause for that to happen everyone would have to be at fault, there are to many moving parts and that's too confusing to digest and figure out, easier to tell everyone they are special and that nobody has to accept responsibility, the world is happy and we all have Kool aide and a gold star above our name.
Rationalize it any way you want, but yes, football is a game played on many layers and ultimate success comes when each of those components is in synchronicity. It's called meshing and the Hawks have done just that the past two years. It's been enjoyable to follow.

original poster

Reaction score
Threedee":1d4l0snf said:
During the first half last week, I thought to myself that it looked like Bevell was responding to criticism, doing all of the things that fans wanted him to do. I was even tempted to start a thread, praising the 12th Man for Bevell's new look. Then the 4th Quarter offense happened...

This is laughable. Do you honestly think an NFL OC is going to listen to fans and adapt? Jesus christ.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, it's pretty common for a lot of fans to actually think that the team cares what the fans think about their play calling etc. It is pretty hilarious.
Ranks up there with people saying "We can't get to cocky, or look past that team" Like WE actually play for the team. :th2thumbs:

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":wzsbsed9 said:
Well, it's pretty common for a lot of fans to actually think that the team cares what the fans think about their play calling etc. It is pretty hilarious.
Ranks up there with people saying "We can't get to cocky, or look past that team" Like WE actually play for the team. :th2thumbs:
I say "we" all the time, not thinking that I'm part of the team, but rather identifying with a community of fans of that team, like the Hawks. But the comment about Bevell adjusting his playcalling to be in accord with a few bellyaching whiners is a swing and a miss. In the real world, it's about the o line stringing together a good game and Marshawn toting the ball.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I hear ya, I say we all the time. My point is when someone tries to tell you that we can't be over-confident, as if fans' over-confidence has anything to do with the outcome of the game.

Latest posts