Bevell

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3dipolxo said:
I hear ya, I say we all the time. My point is when someone tries to tell you that we can't be over-confident, as if fans' over-confidence has anything to do with the outcome of the game.
Oh, I gotcha. Unless that is a warning to so someone who likes to bet a shekel on the games.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Cartire":31k53bz7 said:
Sgt. Largent":31k53bz7 said:
PS. Why is Josh McDaniels a bum as a head coach, but a genius as the Patriot's OC? Gee, do you think it has more to do with who he's coaching with and QB than his amazing sophisticated schemes and plays?

This right here. Crazy how McDaniels all of a sudden became an AMAZING OC. Almost like there is some sort of correlation in there.

He was amazing in his first stint as OC with the Pats too.

Some guys just can't be a HC and are amazing coordinators. Happens a lot really. Just look at Norv Turner and Wade Phillips.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
original poster":qkqt4nw4 said:
Threedee":qkqt4nw4 said:
During the first half last week, I thought to myself that it looked like Bevell was responding to criticism, doing all of the things that fans wanted him to do. I was even tempted to start a thread, praising the 12th Man for Bevell's new look. Then the 4th Quarter offense happened...

This is laughable. Do you honestly think an NFL OC is going to listen to fans and adapt? Jesus christ.

What's so far fetched about Bevell reading .NET threads and adapting?

One can only assume JS does the same thing with the many GM and capologists on the board.

:sarcasm_on:

seahawks08

Reaction score
I for one would like to see continuity in our offense. If we have a coach carousel in our offense, it will be very limiting to the growth of RW and for him to take the next step. I am sure any OC who want's to show case their offensive power would not consider seahawks, because it is against our philosophy to throw the ball. Ball in air is much more susceptible to turnovers and defeat the purpose of grinding and pounding the defense.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":3hkwwqa4 said:
hawknation2015":3hkwwqa4 said:
Got to give credit where it is due. That was a well-called game. It seems he is following the same script as last season. We lose a few early-season games due, in part, to bad play calling, then we start feeding Marshawn 20+ times a game and all is well. It seems Bevell just needs to be continually re-calibrated by Carroll. His weaknesses in play calling are still evident, but they can be compensated for with strong defense and a continued emphasis on running the ball.

I wonder where he'd be but for Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch...

Or Favre for that matter.

The unfortunate thing with the NFL is when a great coordinator emerges, they aren't coordinators for very long. It's like when a mid-major in CFB has an outstanding coach.. you basically have to count the days until that guy leaves.

Bevell is crappy enough to not get a HC gig.. yet pulls these rabbits out of his hat for a couple weeks to stick around. Worst kind of coordinator to have.

mrt144

Reaction score
seahawks08":1wyuwy6a said:
I for one would like to see continuity in our offense. If we have a coach carousel in our offense, it will be very limiting to the growth of RW and for him to take the next step. I am sure any OC who want's to show case their offensive power would not consider seahawks, because it is against our philosophy to throw the ball. Ball in air is much more susceptible to turnovers and defeat the purpose of grinding and pounding the defense.

On the other hand, what favors is the current coaching staff doing to RW?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mrt144":1ptnviwz said:
seahawks08":1ptnviwz said:

Creating a successful run first offense that's #1 that Russell can use his athletic ability to make plays.

Sure bringing in an outside OC MIGHT result in a better offense, but it might not. But one thing we do know, a new OC and new system takes time to install and learn.

So are you OK with a possible 2-3 years of growing pains with a new OC's schemes, playcalling, signals and verbage? At which time it still might not be any better than our offensive production now?

Pete's big on continuity, because he knows that's important factor #1 in keeping this train rolling. That's why he hires from within.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
mrt144":1i05ybhr said:
seahawks08":1i05ybhr said:

Open your eyes. It's happening this year as the staff is adding to Russ's arsenal by trying to increase his effectiveness from the pocket. Sure, it's been rough going early as the line gained confidence together, but the end game will be a more poised passing Russell who will be a multi-dimensional threat

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":sg7yi64g said:
mrt144":sg7yi64g said:
seahawks08":sg7yi64g said:

Open your eyes. It's happening this year as the staff is adding to Russ's arsenal by trying to increase his effectiveness from the pocket. Sure, it's been rough going early as the line gained confidence together, but the end game will be a more poised passing Russell who will be a multi-dimensional threat

While that may be true, I believe that RW has regressed in reading defenses this season. I think he hasn't been the same at that since that last play on offense in SB49 and the NFCCG game. He's been more tentative in making decisions, etc. That is on Wilson but some of it is also on Bevell, Smith, and Cable as his coaches. One of the things that I liked about Wilson and what set him apart from other QBs in his draft class was his ability to read defenses and make good decisions. I don't believe he has grown in that area. He was extremely good at that in 2012, 2013, and most of 2014. This year he's been shaky. Of course, there are many factors why - OL issues, Lynch not healthy, inconsistent run game, etc. I don't believe he is comfortable in the pocket. He's definitely more tentative in that area. So having him more in the pocket is not helping him. Let him roll out, let him do the things that helped him be successful in the first place instead of trying to pidgeon hole him into being a traditional pocket QB. WIlson is not that. That's part of my issue with Bevell. Instead of utilizing personnel to their strengths he tries to make them something they are not. Bevell tends to forget his personnel's strengths quite a bit. Especially in the red zone area. They are horrific in the red zone on a consistent basis. That's just not on the players not executing. If the players aren't executing certain plays properly, why are you set on calling those plays? Call the ones they are successful with. Bevell's play calls in the red zone leave a lot to be desired. It's costing the Seahawks 4 points. A TD instead of settling for a FG would have made the difference in 3 games they lost.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1qt5th66 said:
Sure bringing in an outside OC MIGHT result in a better offense, but it might not. But one thing we do know, a new OC and new system takes time to install and learn.

Just because we're disagreeing a lot today... ;)

Bevell's offensive concepts aren't the only problem. The man just calls stupid stuff in the moment, all the time. On third down and long, he's awful to the point of being a liability. Play action, two fullbacks split out wide, 5-hitch routes, long-developing isolation combos with no hot routes. All extremely dumb stuff to do on 3rd and long, especially if your QB is young, short, and behind an OL that isn't doing so hot.

I'm not saying he's the only problem. But when you have personnel issues (OL/WR), you can still adjust. Bevell is plain bad for Wilson on third down in that area. He's exacerbating all our issues.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1xc6o25r said:
Siouxhawk":1xc6o25r said:
mrt144":1xc6o25r said:
seahawks08":1xc6o25r said:

While that may be true, I believe that RW has regressed in reading defenses this season. I think he hasn't been the same at that since that last play on offense in SB49 and the NFCCG game. He's been more tentative in making decisions, etc. That is on Wilson but some of it is also on Bevell, Smith, and Cable as his coaches. One of the things that I liked about Wilson and what set him apart from other QBs in his draft class was his ability to read defenses and make good decisions. I don't believe he has grown in that area. He was extremely good at that in 2012, 2013, and most of 2014. This year he's been shaky. Of course, there are many factors why - OL issues, Lynch not healthy, inconsistent run game, etc. I don't believe he is comfortable in the pocket. He's definitely more tentative in that area. So having him more in the pocket is not helping him. Let him roll out, let him do the things that helped him be successful in the first place instead of trying to pidgeon hole him into being a traditional pocket QB. WIlson is not that. That's part of my issue with Bevell. Instead of utilizing personnel to their strengths he tries to make them something they are not. Bevell tends to forget his personnel's strengths quite a bit. Especially in the red zone area. They are horrific in the red zone on a consistent basis. That's just not on the players not executing. If the players aren't executing certain plays properly, why are you set on calling those plays? Call the ones they are successful with. Bevell's play calls in the red zone leave a lot to be desired. It's costing the Seahawks 4 points. A TD instead of settling for a FG would have made the difference in 3 games they lost.
You see abandoning the concept of putting Russ in the pocket, I see it as a way of broadening his game. There were going to be growing pains, but I think it will make him more versatile and thus help the team. As far as the red zone, too many variables determine what works and what doesn't. As long as we're getting more opportunites to work in the red zone than our opponents, that's all I care about. The scoring will take care of itself.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2tkal8pq said:
Sgt. Largent":2tkal8pq said:

Bevell's offensive concepts aren't the only problem. The man just calls stupid stuff in the moment, all the time. On third down and long, he's awful to the point of being a liability. Play action, two fullbacks split out wide, 5-hitch routes, long-developing isolation combos with no hot routes. All extremely dumb stuff to do on 3rd and long, especially if your QB is young, short, and behind an OL that isn't doing so hot.

I'm not saying he's the only problem. But when you have personnel issues (OL/WR), you can still adjust. Bevell is plain bad for Wilson on third down in that area. He's exacerbating all our issues.
Now your hater mentality is just bubbling over. If you look at the second halves of our games the last two years, he's undeniably made halftime adjustments that lets us roll in the final 30 minutes. And for as many calls you label as poor, there's 1,000 more that he's made that has made our team a success. If it's not broke, don't fix it and the Hawks are not broke.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2vq57clx said:
MontanaHawk05":2vq57clx said:
Sgt. Largent":2vq57clx said:

Now your hater mentality is just bubbling over. If you look at the second halves of our games the last two years, he's undeniably made halftime adjustments that lets us roll in the final 30 minutes. And for as many calls you label as poor, there's 1,000 more that he's made that has made our team a success. If it's not broke, don't fix it and the Hawks are not broke.

The current record is 3-4....the Hawks aren't broke? They are dead last in red zone offense, they are scoring less points on offense than they have the past 2 seasons...and you're saying they don't need to fix anything? I guess we're watching two different teams. By no means are they the worst but to state they don't need anything to be fixed is a huge misnomer.

They are definitely struggling more on offense than they are on defense. That definitely brings Bevell and Cable into the light since they are the main architects of the offense. An offense that is only scoring about 17 pts a game which is about 7 points less than they averaged last year.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":8ostdpnk said:
Siouxhawk":8ostdpnk said:
MontanaHawk05":8ostdpnk said:
Sgt. Largent":8ostdpnk said:

The current record is 3-4....the Hawks aren't broke? They are dead last in red zone offense, they are scoring less points on offense than they have the past 2 seasons...and you're saying they don't need to fix anything? I guess we're watching two different teams. By no means are they the worst but to state they don't need anything to be fixed is a huge misnomer.

They are definitely struggling more on offense than they are on defense. That definitely brings Bevell and Cable into the light since they are the main architects of the offense. An offense that is only scoring about 17 pts a game which is about 7 points less than they averaged last year.
Yeah, maybe we are watching two different teams. Because I see a team that has lost by the slimmest of margins to teams that had a record of 19-3 I think going into last week. It's also a team that we knew had an inexperienced line that would take a little time to get traction. So I guess you choose to panic, while I realize that this is a team that was going to evolve in similar fashion to last year. The San Fran win was very encouraging and I believe we'll tackle Dallas on the road, setting up for our bye with a 4-4 record. We're only 2 games behind our division leader and have 6 division games left to play. We're in good shape.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3peskonu said:
Siouxhawk":3peskonu said:
MontanaHawk05":3peskonu said:
Sgt. Largent":3peskonu said:

Kind of hard to use averages when Lynch has been the least productive this year and the O-line has been worse than the previous two years.

I also don't think he means nothing needs fixing. I think he was saying Bevell is not the only problem and it is hard to argue that. Other problems are chemistry with receivers and TE, O-line learning on the job and our running game getting back to the power game it was when we could rely on it to end games. But the good news is the chemistry is improving and the O-line is getting better and Lynch looked really good last game. Lets see what happens when they start clicking.

Play calling will always look bad when you don't execute and it won't matter what play is called. That is not to give a pass to the play caller offense or defense because everyone makes mistakes but I think some here are blowing it out of proportion.

joeshaney

Reaction score
siouxboo":xhjdv5yz said:
xxx":xhjdv5yz said:

Yeah, maybe we are watching two different teams. Because I see a team that has lost by the slimmest of margins to teams that had a record of 19-3 I think going into last week. It's also a team that we knew had an inexperienced line that would take a little time to get traction. So I guess you choose to panic, while I realize that this is a team that was going to evolve in similar fashion to last year. The San Fran win was very encouraging and I believe we'll tackle Dallas on the road, setting up for our bye with a 4-4 record. We're only 2 games behind our division leader and have 6 division games left to play. We're in good shape.

No, same team, different eyes. Your optimism isn't without merit in some respects, but our passing game is a joke. Everyone involved shoulders the responsibility. Bevell is the primary architect so he takes the primary blame. If you can't see that than all I can do is be jealous I don't own a pair of your rose colored glasses that make everything look so pretty. But yes, everything the team wants to accomplish is still right there.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2xtitql0 said:
Isn't that what you guys are asking of Bevell? Hey Bevell, use this all time horrific O-line that doesn't give Russell more than half a second to drop back and pass 70% of them time, with a mediocre WR core with a bunch of short dudes..........and a TE that can catch but can't block to save his life..............and work your sophisticated magic!
How can you possibly speak of Russell Wilson and then characterise our receivers as "a bunch of short dudes" on a team whose best reciever of all time was 5'11"?

It's like saying height is not important but height is important even though the best receiver in franchise history was short.

Doesn't compute.