Big Red sounded bitter

hoxrox

Reaction score
Big Red was one of my favorites. Teams simply couldn't run on us on 1st down, usually making 3rd an obvious pass situation, which played into our strengths in the secondary. I think we might miss both him and McDonald this year.

Hawkfiend

Reaction score
I can't blame Red for being a little bitter, this is a tough business and he was a very important piece of the championship puzzle (as was Clemons). Remember how bad the Hawks run defense would become whenever Red was injured pre-2013? Bennett made him expendable but I was still sad to see him go.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Barthawk":2ns4cjgy said:
Scottemojo":2ns4cjgy said:
Camp in Florida has got to suck for a big man.

I don't blame him a bit. We all know business is business, but the man had a child born in Seattle, his Father in Law was longtime Hawk, and he was an emotional leader for this team.

They have a model. It can feel heartless when the model does not include you.

Good point about the family aspect Scott.. that sometimes gets lost in the dollars and cents of a deal. His wife prolly spent the majority of her life in Seattle.. I never thought about that... but, in the small scheme of things... he spends 2-3 years in J-ville and makes more money than he would've in Seattle and then they can move back if this is the place they want to be.

Maybe being military I am a little jaded on having to move to a new place because of a job.. there were a few places (Ft Lewis) that I loved at the time and was pissed that I had to leave. Now, I live in San Antonio and love it..

It is a business and they both are young men with more than half their lives ahead of them.. yes it blows to go from the greatest team in the history of pro sports to the redneck riveria.. but it is temporary.. I am sure Clemons is more than happy to be less than 2hrs from his hometown.

I will say it did suck a little seeing them play tonight and not be in blue.. Clem looks amazing.. bigger, faster.. his knee is fully healed and will kick ass I think.

Yeah I think Clem had one more good year in him here and I really didn't want to see him go just yet, but Red just didn't fit into the scheme. They both have a SB ring and are making great money so hail fellow well met and good luck.

gargantual

Reaction score
Yeah, like Scotte alluded, it's really a family thing from his perspective. He wore Jacob Green's number (after marrying his daughter) and I think felt like it was a legacy thing, carrying on the tradition for a big time Hawks alumni. I'm sure he wanted to retire as a Seahawk.

I feel for the guy, but at the same time it's what's best for the team ($$-wise and scheme-wise), so I'd prefer PC&JS continue their winning ways and keep making the hard choices.

Next year we're gonna see some painful cuts happen, Russell's gotta get paid.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
PC and JS will always reward their elite players and offer fair contracts. When it becomes obvious that they can get more out of less then they will make the move 100% of the time. It's not that they aren't loyal to their players. Its just that they won't let their loyalisms take place of production.

Produce, have a high ceiling and get paid. Slow production, no room for growth and get lost.

They have a plan and I love it!

themunn

Reaction score
I still don't like that we cut him.
For all those saying "he's never worth 8.5 million", surely the FO knew that in the first place, so why put it in the contract?
Bryant produced what he was asked to do, he wasn't asked to be a pass-rusher but when it came to stopping the run nobody did it better.
You're telling me we couldn't afford to pay him the $17m over 4 years that Jacksonville offered (only this year guaranteed)? Knowing his history with Seattle we could probably have retained him on an even friendlier deal. Likewise with Clemons.
At the end of the day, yes, it's a business, but when players will get cut like that, the others in the lockerroom will see it, and the fantasy of the rest of them giving a "hometown discount" is just that. If anybody hits free agency the team will have to match whatever the rest of the league is offering.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Well they got paid and got rings here. Lets not feel sorry for millionaires, even though they obviously loved being Seahawks.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
They're just using it to fuel them, as you would expect from true competitors.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
It's only partially about the money, imo. I think plenty of it has to do with the fact that Bryant turned 30 this past April. Any effort to try and keep your team young and competitive has to devalue players with large cap figures and on the wrong side of 30 - that is, unless they are among your handful of superstars. And Red just wasn't versatile enough to justify keeping him. Bennett is a year and a half younger than Bryant and he's got a wider skillset than Bryant does, so that's why he got paid and Bryant got walking papers. And just watch... if Bennett doesn't maintain the level of play over the life of his contract that he showed last season, he'll be getting that same treatment around 2016.

McG

Reaction score
I'm sure he is bitter. He was a captain, it was his only professional team, and he went basically from first (SEA) to worst (JAX). Who wouldn't be bitter given the situation? Look at it from his point of view. He is still a Hawk in his mind and always will be one, I'm sure he wanted to retire here, but like many have said he's just not worth what was making so the team went another direction than he had planned. I wish him all the best in Jacksonville, him and Clemons. I hope they can right the ship over there and make Bradley look like he should be a Head Coach (which I don't think he was ready for).

This situation right here is why I hate the salary cap so much, but I understand why it's in place. It just doesn't allow for retention of your players. I believe that the salary cap should only apply for taking on new players. Teams really should be able to keep who they want if both parties agree to the contract, if not they go to free agency and then other teams have a chance to sign them within the salary cap, but this is different discussion for another day.

hawker84

Reaction score
Big Red and especially Clems are two of my all time favorite Hawks, but let's get real here, this is a what have you done for me lately league, and to think otherwise as a player is foolish. Both were too much against the cap, clem after his injury was not the player he was the two seasons prior, and let's face it, he's no spring chicken. big red with his toe issues, on the field less than 50% of the snaps does not warrant a huge salary, even at a reduced (let's say) 6 mil..

I see both sides, but business is business, Seattle is looking to the future, and the future is Bennett and Avril and the youngs guys. As far as not asking Big Red to take a cut, maybe the Carroll and Snyder saw enough of the guys they had coming into camp to not warrant an offer?

warden

Reaction score
These two will (in my eyes) always be remembered as integral parts in rebuilding a nothing team into a Superbowl champion, They are Seahawks Superbowl Champions and will always be fondly remembered.

McG

Reaction score
warden":5pu0aqg0 said:
These two will (in my eyes) always be remembered as integral parts in rebuilding a nothing team into a Superbowl champion, They are Seahawks Superbowl Champions and will always be fondly remembered.

+1

This is a young team though, only 6 players over 30. A punter (Jon Ryan), a backup QB (Tarvaris Jackson), a special teamer (Heath Farwell) and 3 late free agents (Kevin Williams, Eric Winston, and Wade Smith). Big money plus age does not ever equal anything good in the NFL, especially for a team like Seattle that is built of youth and competition.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Smellyman":2ba46nsp said:
they were cut because of money. I would be a little bitter too.

Would you rather be in Seattle or Jacksonville?

I understand their bitterness but don't these guys understand the Cap? I would bitch about the Cap instead of the team. Personally, I HATE the cap because we do have the richest owner in the league. It is what it is.

Largent80

Reaction score
Don't look now but Avril is in a contract year. The same thing could happen with him as we have Wright (also a contract year) and one Russell Wilson to take care of.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Barthawk":299mqz32 said:
I love the guy, but get real Red.. you were loved and valuable but not 8.5M valuable.. c'mon man.. 1M more than Avril or Bennett.. no way, no how for a one trick pony..

I think Red is more bitter about the Hawks not even coming to him to discuss a restructure. According to him he was just flat cut, see ya.

I don't blame him, he was here a long time...........and Red's a man of passion!

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":11ixeugy said:
Smellyman":11ixeugy said:
they were cut because of money. I would be a little bitter too.

Would you rather be in Seattle or Jacksonville?

I understand their bitterness but don't these guys understand the Cap? I would bitch about the Cap instead of the team. Personally, I HATE the cap because we do have the richest owner in the league. It is what it is.

The thing to remember is that there is a cap, but there's also a limit on the number of players who can make the active squad. And Seattle's always going to embrace the youth movement.

And it's not like Bryant/Clem can complain about Seattle valuing older players less, because that means they acknowledge their age (and Seattle is damn sure not the only team that does that).

Likewise, they can't complain too much about the money angle, because that could be used against them in future negotiations with whoever they play for. You never hear a cut/traded player EVER say, "I guess my contract was too much for the team to handle."

So in the end, it has to be about the team not being loyal - that way, they can embrace their new squad, play with a chip on their shoulder, etc. without saying anything that impacts their future earnings.

Largent80

Reaction score
I don't feel sorry for either one of them. Both were given chances and both excelled in their roles here. They also made a ton of money, and will still play. It is a win-win.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I don't think either one of them is asking any of you to feel sorry for them.

Red made a true statement. It's a "what have you done for me lately" league. No denying that. These guys owe it to themselves to get paid while they can. That's why it's silly to hate on guys like Golden and Marshawn who seek more money during their prime years.

If you're perfectly fine with the cutthroat releases of Red and Clem, then don't turn around and complain about other players asking for more money. It's a business.

Latest posts