Big Red sounded bitter

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
I was fine if they had cut Red and Clem last year. I feel they were lucky to get their ring. Red was a one trick pony who was WAYYYYYYYYY overpaid. Actually....watching that game I found myself thinking...thank god Gus wasn't our DC last year and Quinn was. I thought Bennett and Avril should have got more snaps then they did last year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1vctnsfw said:
I was fine if they had cut Red and Clem last year. I feel they were lucky to get their ring. Red was a one trick pony who was WAYYYYYYYYY overpaid. Actually....watching that game I found myself thinking...thank god Gus wasn't our DC last year and Quinn was.

Unfair statement.

Red and Clem both contributed to why our D-Line was so good down the stretch and during the playoffs/SB, depth and staying fresh.

Ask any of the defensive lineman and they'd tell you they've NEVER felt that good at the end of any season. The reason was the rotation Pete and Dan instituted. Take these two guys away and our D-Line play would have suffered, and wouldn't have been half as fresh as they were in the 2nd half of the season.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1242xvks said:
ImTheScientist":1242xvks said:
I was fine if they had cut Red and Clem last year. I feel they were lucky to get their ring. Red was a one trick pony who was WAYYYYYYYYY overpaid. Actually....watching that game I found myself thinking...thank god Gus wasn't our DC last year and Quinn was.

Unfair statement.

Red and Clem both contributed to why our D-Line was so good down the stretch and during the playoffs/SB, depth and staying fresh.

Ask any of the defensive lineman and they'd tell you they've NEVER felt that good at the end of any season. The reason was the rotation Pete and Dan instituted. Take these two guys away and our D-Line play would have suffered, and wouldn't have been half as fresh as they were in the 2nd half of the season.

We will just have to agree to disagree on our opinions I guess. Your opinion was the D-Line play would have suffered....without them we would have had two others and there is no telling what could have or would have happened. So I can't say I agree with your opinion either.

Clems 4.5 sacks will be replaced this year easy, and Red was a one trick pony. There is a reason Red's snaps declined as the season went on. (in my opinion of course)

Put Marsh down for 7+ sacks this year if healthy.

:vodka:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1l8en8a8 said:
We will just have to agree to disagree on our opinions I guess. Your opinion was the D-Line play would have suffered....without them we would have had two others and there is no telling what could have or would have happened. So I can't say I agree with your opinion either.:

Who would have been the two others? Both Hill and Williams were hurt, Irvin's at outside LB and Mayowa's an undrafted FA.

That would have meant guys like Scruggs, McDaniels and McDonald would have had to play twice as much, which again means their effectiveness would be diminished over time.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":q7g4ycsd said:
ImTheScientist":q7g4ycsd said:
We will just have to agree to disagree on our opinions I guess. Your opinion was the D-Line play would have suffered....without them we would have had two others and there is no telling what could have or would have happened. So I can't say I agree with your opinion either.:

Who would have been the two others? Both Hill and Williams were hurt, Irvin's at outside LB and Mayowa's an undrafted FA.

That would have meant guys like Scruggs, McDaniels and McDonald would have had to play twice as much, which again means their effectiveness would be diminished over time.

Play Bennett/Avril more, (scruggs was out for season), but it would have likely been someone off the street ... or a free agent. Just a body basically..... guess I felt last year those two brought little to the table so a guy of the street wouldn't have been much drop off and rotate less.

jblaze

Reaction score
You can't blame them for being a little bitter since they've been here and brought the team up from the depths to the pinnacle. However, this is a business and they know that and paying these guys 8+ mil at their age and declining production level is just not viable. It's going to be the same way with Lynch next year, it will hurt and he's done a lot to contribute to our success but you can't handicap yourself salary cap wise by being emotional or loyal beyond feasibility performance vs. pay wise.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1dqo1899 said:
Sgt. Largent":1dqo1899 said:
ImTheScientist":1dqo1899 said:

Play Bennett/Avril more, (scruggs was out for season), but it would have likely been someone off the street ... or a free agent. Just a body basically..... guess I felt last year those two brought little to the table so a guy of the street wouldn't have been much drop off and rotate less.

That's insane to me to say that two guys off the street would have performed as well as Clemons and Big Red.

StoneCold

Reaction score
themunn":1xsg3sla said:
I still don't like that we cut him.
For all those saying "he's never worth 8.5 million", surely the FO knew that in the first place, so why put it in the contract?
Bryant produced what he was asked to do, he wasn't asked to be a pass-rusher but when it came to stopping the run nobody did it better.
You're telling me we couldn't afford to pay him the $17m over 4 years that Jacksonville offered (only this year guaranteed)? Knowing his history with Seattle we could probably have retained him on an even friendlier deal. Likewise with Clemons.
At the end of the day, yes, it's a business, but when players will get cut like that, the others in the lockerroom will see it, and the fantasy of the rest of them giving a "hometown discount" is just that. If anybody hits free agency the team will have to match whatever the rest of the league is offering.

After watching us get gutted by the Denver's running game I think we may miss having the big guy in the middle. It is a bit odd that since he was willing there was never a conversation about how much less he would take. There was some sort with Tate, but it became obvious the hawks were on the low end of what he wanted. Maybe they knew what they could offer him was way too low and would almost be an insult to make.

SC

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":teyja8if said:
ImTheScientist":teyja8if said:
Sgt. Largent":teyja8if said:
ImTheScientist":teyja8if said:

That's insane to me to say that two guys off the street would have performed as well as Clemons and Big Red.

This will be my last response to you regarding this as its cluttering up the thread with an explanation, but feel free to PM me if you want to carry the conversation off the message board. I feel if you gave Bennett/Avril more snaps it would have made up for Red/Clem pretty easy as they are far superior to each. There are plenty of ways to get them rest, you would need to work your rotations different then they did. I anticipate if healthy our line play improves this year from last.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
StoneCold":1as7b8kj said:
After watching us get gutted by the Denver's running game I think we may miss having the big guy in the middle. It is a bit odd that since he was willing there was never a conversation about how much less he would take. There was some sort with Tate, but it became obvious the hawks were on the low end of what he wanted. Maybe they knew what they could offer him was way too low and would almost be an insult to make.

SC

Red didn't play in the middle. In addition to that it wasn't the starters getting gutted...we actually didn't dress a number of backups/starters last week while Denver played healthy for the most part.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
They obviously are hurt and didn't want to leave. They both loved the Seahawks. :(

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":11outw9w said:
MizzouHawkGal":11outw9w said:
It's damned cold and only the ignorant believe different. And it always has been since day 1. The guy will make more money just THIS year then 90% if not more, of the entire population of the world will in their entire life, so cry me a river of faux tears and then shut up and play.

Yea... and consider this.

The money he makes this year, is more than what over one thousand poor Congo miners will make the rest of their lives for taking a high risk job banging rock in some dark hole to feed their families.

Playing a boy's game and making millions is a privilege, it's a blessing and one of the luckiest draws you can possibly get in entire history of this world out of billions and billions of poor wretched souls.

And then think of this -- that 8.5 million for this one year, is more than George Blanda made in his entire 26 year NFL career, adjusted for inflation.

And Red Bryant has what his father in law, Steve Largent, Dan Marino, Barry Sanders, Dan Fouts, Randy Moss, et et never got in their careers -- a ring.

Anyone who whines under those conditions loses a third of of my respect.

I like that post a lot.

hoxrox

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":3pac6h3b said:
StoneCold":3pac6h3b said:

SC

Red didn't play in the middle. In addition to that it wasn't the starters getting gutted...we actually didn't dress a number of backups/starters last week while Denver played healthy for the most part.

Nope, but he set the edge. I don’t think teams really ran on his side last year.
Let’s see how our 1st down defense does this year, and we’ll know whether or not we’ll miss him.

It's not always about the sacks.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":1n7r4xji said:
MizzouHawkGal":1n7r4xji said:
It's damned cold and only the ignorant believe different. And it always has been since day 1. The guy will make more money just THIS year then 90% if not more, of the entire population of the world will in their entire life, so cry me a river of faux tears and then shut up and play.

The money he makes this year, is more than what over one thousand poor Congo miners will make the rest of their lives for taking a high risk job banging rock in some dark hole to feed their families.

Playing a boy's game and making millions is a privilege, it's a blessing and one of the luckiest draws you can possibly get in entire history of this world out of billions and billions of poor wretched souls.

And then think of this -- that 8.5 million for this one year, is more than George Blanda made in his entire 26 year NFL career, adjusted for inflation.

And Red Bryant has what his father in law, Steve Largent, Dan Marino, Barry Sanders, Dan Fouts, Randy Moss, et et never got in their careers -- a ring.

I'm not a fan of this perspective. Your wage and lifestyle are also exponentially better than laborers in China and the starving in Africa. Does that mean you're not allowed to complain about being underpaid or under-appreciated at work? I'm sure a sweatshop employee would find some of our workplace complaints to be just as laughable as you find the complaints of an NFL star athlete. Working in any office or a regulated environment for a livable wage is also a blessing and a hugely lucky draw compared to many of those in the rest of the world.

Your perspective on what you have is relative to those around you. Just because there are people in this world who are far worse off than you doesn't make you immune from feeling under-appreciated or underpaid.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3esabw3p said:
The_Z_Man":3esabw3p said:
MizzouHawkGal":3esabw3p said:

I'm not a fan of this perspective. Your wage and lifestyle are also exponentially better than laborers in China and the starving in Africa. Does that mean you're not allowed to complain about being underpaid or under-appreciated at work? I'm sure a sweatshop employee would find some of our workplace complaints to be just as laughable as you find the complaints of an NFL star athlete. Working in any office or a regulated environment for a livable wage is also a blessing and a hugely lucky draw compared to many of those in the rest of the world.

Your perspective on what you have is relative to those around you. Just because there are people in this world who are far worse off than you doesn't make you immune from feeling under-appreciated or underpaid.

You and me both, David7. You and me both.

drdiags

Reaction score
Red answered a question that was meant to get an emotional response. He provided an answer that matches his personality. If he is bitter or not isn't something I can judge him on. These guys aren't idiots, they know the cap and its implications. As high performing athletes, they still need to have a feeling of invincibility. They stay as humble as possible but ego helps make them who they are.

MRob appreciated getting a chance to come back after being cut but don't think the sting of being a captain to cut (even with the seriousness of his medical condition adding to the reasons for letting him go) wasn't a sour feeling he had to keep under wraps.

He is a favorite that had a unique role the team has tried to update. I will miss the big guy but not on pass rushing plays.