Biggest head scratchers...

2_0_6

Reaction score
This is just my .02, but after seeing all of the home games he played in here he would make a better LB than a cover safety.

I understand trying to make reasons for the pick, I personally just felt that it was a major reach. He probably would have been there for their pick in the 2nd round.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
How about ATL passing on Gurley? Maybe not a "biggest head scratcher" because they clearly needed pass-rush help too, and they got a stud for that. But from a fan perspective, it seemed like a RB/team combo that was meant to be.

penihawk

Reaction score
Trading up to get Shane Ray was a giant headscratcher to me.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Rob12":32sf5mfc said:
The Colts are a good team, but that's all they'll be. No defense and an aging Gore doesn't make that team better. Dorsett was a stupid pick for a team that is atrocious on the other side of the ball. They'll get ran out of the playoffs again when their defense can't stop anyone.

Yea I thought that was not a great move by them either. I think this recent SB affected them a little.

My first impression was "they want the fast midget squad to match up against the LOB if they make it to the big game." Problem is, they don't look anywhere near ready to advance in the playoffs with that defense.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":1rfvl74q said:
ctrcat":1rfvl74q said:
Hawk_Nation":1rfvl74q said:
Shaq at 25 to Carolina.. Don't get me wrong, I think he is a total stud but an odd pick for them at that spot.

That's a team with a ton of holes, and not really sure why they went back to the well when Luke & T. Davis are already into the fold. Cam has to be a bit irked with yet another off season and limited help brought in for him.

I would have went after either Dorsett or Breshad Perrimon to go opposite Benjamin.

As a Panther fan I feel very good but not great for the reasons you mention, although I truly don't feel I would have felt better with Perriman or Dorsett. Truth be told I honestly think they had the Seahawks in mind. Rivera said at the presser Shaq could cover "Jimmy Graham types". Taking a WR again in the 1st makes sense on the surface but just doesn't fit the personality of what I perceive they want to be. A sidekick/eventual replacement for Davis and/or a poor man's Chancellor may be harder to find than a WR or even OT. It would have been interesting if Humphries was still available but the smoke/fire for Shaq was everywhere and the card was turned in at lightning speed. Cam may be irked now and may have a right to be but if the trend continues today and tomorrow many have threatened pitchforks in Charlotte. They still have 8 picks left.

Landon Collins is head and shoulders better than Shaq, and is pretty damn close to Kam.

If I remember correctly, Collins is a decent coverage safety but not great in the box. No where near Kam. It's not a horrible pick, but I feel they reached on Shaq. The only thing I can theorize is that they felt they could get a good WR in round 2, and felt like Shaq wouldn't have been there in round 3. I know it doesn't make sense, but neither does the pick. They could've gotten a much better WR and still gotten Shaq in the 2nd.

Hawks46

Reaction score
The thing that annoyed me the most was listening to the analysts freaking out about teams passing up on Gordon and WRs (or whatever that team's need was). It's kinda weird because both positional groups are very deep and you can get great talent in the 2nd round, but these guys are acting like the position is being entirely ignored for that team's draft, while there's an entire draft left to go still.

I guess we're doing the same thing, but it's annoying. There's freaking 6 rounds left and GMs are getting castigated for not addressing/reaching on one position.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Hawks46":1mocmqwh said:
Hawk_Nation":1mocmqwh said:
ctrcat":1mocmqwh said:
Hawk_Nation":1mocmqwh said:
Shaq at 25 to Carolina.. Don't get me wrong, I think he is a total stud but an odd pick for them at that spot.

That's a team with a ton of holes, and not really sure why they went back to the well when Luke & T. Davis are already into the fold. Cam has to be a bit irked with yet another off season and limited help brought in for him.

I would have went after either Dorsett or Breshad Perrimon to go opposite Benjamin.

As a Panther fan I feel very good but not great for the reasons you mention, although I truly don't feel I would have felt better with Perriman or Dorsett. Truth be told I honestly think they had the Seahawks in mind. Rivera said at the presser Shaq could cover "Jimmy Graham types". Taking a WR again in the 1st makes sense on the surface but just doesn't fit the personality of what I perceive they want to be. A sidekick/eventual replacement for Davis and/or a poor man's Chancellor may be harder to find than a WR or even OT. It would have been interesting if Humphries was still available but the smoke/fire for Shaq was everywhere and the card was turned in at lightning speed. Cam may be irked now and may have a right to be but if the trend continues today and tomorrow many have threatened pitchforks in Charlotte. They still have 8 picks left.

Landon Collins is head and shoulders better than Shaq, and is pretty damn close to Kam.

If I remember correctly, Collins is a decent coverage safety but not great in the box. No where near Kam. It's not a horrible pick, but I feel they reached on Shaq. The only thing I can theorize is that they felt they could get a good WR in round 2, and felt like Shaq wouldn't have been there in round 3. I know it doesn't make sense, but neither does the pick. They could've gotten a much better WR and still gotten Shaq in the 2nd.

Shaq's agent told him he'd go somewhere from 20 to 50.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Baalke taking Armstead. Even though I LOVE Todd Gurley, the Rams taking him at 10 with an Andrus Peat still on the board is very puzzling, though I think it will be a great pick.. it was just very unexpected. Panthers taking Shaq Thompson when they have major holes on the OL.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Hawks46":1jzbxhzy said:
Hawk_Nation":1jzbxhzy said:
ctrcat":1jzbxhzy said:
Hawk_Nation":1jzbxhzy said:

Did some research and I had that backwards. Teams are concerned with his coverage skills. He seems like more of an "in the box" guy, which is getting harder and harder to scheme in today's NFL with both Safeties used a lot in coverage.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Timmahawk":lp7krbvc said:
I hate the Dorsett pick. Luck makes WRs better, and the colts could have waited another round or two to pick TY insurance (contract year), and gone with someone that will help them stop the run instead.
Round 2 starts today. 7 total. :Dunno:

Seafan

Reaction score
Trading two draft picks to move up two spots to pick a player they would have gotten anyway. Stupid.

McGruff

Reaction score
I had Anthony as my highest rate 2nd round guy before the draft, so getting him at the end of round one is solid. And with the dearth of speedy 43 linebackers in this draft, they pretty much had to get him there.

kearly

Reaction score
One of the things I loved about the draft in past years was the crowd reaction from the Bruce Irvin pick back in 2012, or the Christian Ponder pick back in 2011. There hasn't been a pick to cause indignation like that since.

I don't know if I saw a single pick that left me scratching my head. Shaq comes the closest, I think he's a rich man's Mason Foster, but even that pick can make sense if the Panthers give him some looks at RB or special teams.

It's not a head scratcher per say, but the worst pick was Armstead. At least they got a couple extra picks before lighting their 1st rounder on fire.

I actually really liked the Dorsett pick. Other than maybe Shane Ray, they didn't pass on any defensive player that will help their team as much as Dorsett will help them break defenses.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
McGruff":311tzkxt said:
Largent80":311tzkxt said:
I thought The Anthony pick garnered from us was a scratcher.

Again, I thought that was a smart pick. not a value pick, but in the range I considered ANthony a possibility, and a huge need for their defense. Anthony is one of the few true LBers in this class with any athletic profile whatsoever.

I'm pretty sure that David Hawthorne was at the top of the Saints depth chart for ILB. Love the guy, but nobody shed a tear when he left here and that was a few years and a lots fewer miles on the clock ago now. They can't have had many needs more glaring than upgrading there, surely.

OP
OP
Trrrroy

Trrrroy

Reaction score
kearly":nug7z2v0 said:
One of the things I loved about the draft in past years was the crowd reaction from the Bruce Irvin pick back in 2012, or the Christian Ponder pick back in 2011. There hasn't been a pick to cause indignation like that since.

I don't know if I saw a single pick that left me scratching my head. Shaq comes the closest, I think he's a rich man's Mason Foster, but even that pick can make sense if the Panthers give him some looks at RB or special teams.

It's not a head scratcher per say, but the worst pick was Armstead. At least they got a couple extra picks before lighting their 1st rounder on fire.

I actually really liked the Dorsett pick. Other than maybe Shane Ray, they didn't pass on any defensive player that will help their team as much as Dorsett will help them break defenses.

I feel like these sorts of picks rarely work as good on the field as they do on paper. It's similar to when Detroit picked Fairley, or when the Rams picked up Donald (I am a big fan of the Donald pick, though). Everybody was scared of those D-lines, and for good reason. The problem is when you only have one strength good teams very easily exploit your many weaknesses. Even more so in the playoffs.

I feel it was a mistake to pass on Shane Ray in that situation. I will admit I'm very much in the BPA that fills a need drafting camp though, so my opinion is a little biased.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
ctrcat":161orudj said:
Hawk_Nation":161orudj said:

Anyone else who saw Shaq play at UW have a hard time imagining him covering Jimmy Graham?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
A head scratcher is the Chiefs pick. I don't think Marcus Peters is a bad choice but they could have traded down and still picked him plus received another late rounds (rounds 5-7) in the draft pick. KC needs WR and there were a few on the board when they picked Peters, they also need o-line help. Randy Gregory, Eli Harold, and Shane Ray would have made sense since Justin Houston is still unsigned. So they had many more needs than CB. That's why it's a head scratcher for me.