Bill Leavy to referee Seahawks vs Cowboys

Shock2k

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":uu12hahd said:
Initial impression: :pukeface:

In reality, he was very fair to us last time he officiated a Seahawks game...Pretty sure at this point he will make sure he never screws us with officiating ever again, considering what went down in the past, so I'm really alright with it even though I dislike him for life, at this point.

I was around for the 2005 SB and I came to one conclusion. You need a team that's good enough to get past all obstacles including poor officiating. I don't care how many flags are thrown, and even the maybe 1 or 2 a game that are questionable. If we can get past Denver and Green Bay, and really San Diego (seriously I'm OK with Russel not being able to save the day once in 9 times) then we will be just fine.

Officiating will never cost us a game with this team.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
hawker84":2ongmgfg said:
Or better yet, is there a crew out there that's worth half a damn...

They all suck, and they all blow calls, miss calls, and you can thank Rog for that.

How so? Goodell isn't the head of officiating. Furthermore he doesn't make the rules (or changes to the rules), that's the competition committee made up of current coaches and GM's for the most part.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kearly":3cev75mm said:
You know how there are makeup calls when a ref knows he's screwed up? Leavy's been giving Seattle makeup games ever since his crew screwed us in XL. For the most part, he keeps the flags in his pocket in Seahawks games and when the refs lets both teams play Seattle almost always wins.
That's been my impression too and it bodes well for this coming Sunday.

NorCalHawk12

Reaction score
bmorepunk":dqdr0xfb said:
For those of you that have large fear/hatred of multiple NFL officiating crews, can you please tell me from the list below which ones you don't have a problem with?

R 122 Brad Allen
U 11 Fred Bryan
HL 48 Jim Mello
LJ 100 Tom Symonette
FJ 67 Doug Rosenbaum
SJ 97 Tom Hill
BJ -- (rotated weekly)

R 66 Walt Anderson
U 44 Jeff Rice
HL 22 Steve Stelljes
LJ 18 Byron Boston
FJ 103 Eugene Hall
SJ 78 Greg Meyer
BJ 111 Terrence Miles

R 34 Clete Blakeman
U 71 Ruben Fowler
HL 36 Tony Veteri
LJ 107 Ron Marinucci
FJ 118 David Meslow
SJ 15 Rick Patterson
BJ 17 Steve Patrick

R 23 Jerome Boger
U 115 Tony Michalek
HL 24 Tom Stabile
LJ 123 Ed Walker
FJ 43 Terry Brown
SJ 56 Allen Baynes
BJ 112 Tony Steratore

R 51 Carl Cheffers
U 96 Undrey Wash
HL 79 Kent Payne
LJ 45 Jeff Seeman
FJ 88 Brad Freeman
SJ 125 Laird Hayes
BJ 30 Todd Prukop

R 65 Walt Coleman
U 129 Bill Schuster
HL 91 Jerry Bergman
LJ 90 Mike Spanier
FJ 80 Greg Gautreaux
SJ 72 Michael Banks
BJ 39 Rich Martinez

R 99 Tony Corrente
U 64 Dan Ferrell
HL 54 George Hayward
LJ 130 Darryll Lewis
FJ 60 Gary Cavaletto
SJ 83 Shawn Hochuli
BJ 119 Greg Wilson

R 85 Ed Hochuli
U 49 Rich Hall
HL 13 Patrick Turner
LJ 35 John Hussey
FJ 29 Adrian Hill
SJ 7 Keith Washington
BJ 93 Scott Helverson

R 127 Bill Leavy
U 31 Chad Brown
HL 134 Ed Camp
LJ 9 Mark Perlman
FJ 86 Jimmy Buchanan
SJ 1 Scott Novak
BJ 61 Keith Ferguson

R 77 Terry McAulay
U 92 Bryan Neale
HL 98 Greg Bradley
LJ 68 Tom Stephan
FJ 109 Dyrol Prioleau
SJ 95 James Coleman
BJ 12 Greg Steed

R 135 Pete Morelli
U 76 Darrell Jenkins
HL 8 Dana McKenzie
LJ 101 Carl Johnson
FJ 82 Buddy Horton
SJ 75 Rob Vernatchi
BJ 104 Dale Shaw

R 132 John Parry
U 131 Mark Pellis
HL 74 Derick Bowers
LJ 10 Julian Mapp
FJ 89 Jon Lucivansky
SJ 73 Joe Larrew
BJ 46 Perry Paganelli

R 114 Gene Steratore
U 102 Bruce Stritesky
HL 106 Wayne Mackie
LJ 108 Gary Arthur
FJ 25 Bob Waggoner
SJ 116 Mike Weatherford
BJ 105 Dino Paganelli

R 62 Ronald Torbert
U 124 Carl Paganelli
HL 37 Jim Howey
LJ 84 Mark Steinkerchner
FJ 20 Barry Anderson
SJ 3 Scott Edwards
BJ 38 Greg Yette

R 42 Jeff Triplette
U 40 Butch Hannah
HL 5 John McGrath
LJ 32 Jeff Bergman
FJ 41 Boris Cheek
SJ 55 Alex Kemp
BJ 133 Steve Freeman

R 52 Bill Vinovich
U 121 Paul King
HL 110 Phil McKinnely
LJ 59 Rusty Baynes
FJ 117 John Jenkins
SJ 58 Jimmy DeBell
BJ 63 Jim Quirk

R 4 Craig Wrolstad
U 81 Roy Ellison
HL 28 Mark Hittner
LJ 47 Tim Podraza
FJ 33 Steve Zimmer
SJ 21 Jeff Lamberth
BJ 27 Lee Dyer

These are the crews I have no problem with. (Sorry Roland, "These are the crews with whom I have no problem".)

I've only listed the ones that are any good.
We're gonna get who we get. Monday was just a perfect storm, no conspiracies, no payola, it'll happen. I seldom have a problem with a call. Most times they get it right. A few (OK, a lot) of non-calls slip by. That one call on Matt in XL was weird. A flag for something he didn't do??? But he had just thrown an INT, so forget it.

Anyway, "play ball" (oh, wait, that's baseball.)

GO 'HAWKS

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
bmorepunk":zd52bhsi said:
For those of you that have large fear/hatred of multiple NFL officiating crews, can you please tell me from the list below which ones you don't have a problem with?

With Mike Carey safely tucked into a studio (where he does a bad job but doesn't actually get to make binding calls), the only crews I have a problem with are those headed by Jeff Triplette and Ron Winter.

Every crew makes mistakes, of course. It's just that with Triplette you can outright expect game-changing mistakes more often than not, and with Winter you can expect a ridiculously flag-happy crew who will call too many penalties including some inevitable bad ones.

Leavy will probably be just fine on Sunday.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Blakeman's my current least favorite. Never trust a guy named Clete, that's what I always say (no offense if your name's Clete). Hochuli makes a lot of mistakes these days but I think he's honest. I pretty much trust all the Italian guys; Corrente, Steratore, Morelli. Took me a while but I've taken Leavy back and accepted him. Triplette didn't make a very good impression the other night but I don't particularly remember him being bad in the past, though admittedly I don't always keep track of who's good and bad because I feel like I'd drive myself crazy doing so. Most definitely don't miss Mike Carey, Phil Luckett or Ron Winter, but I do miss Gerry Austin and Jerry Markbreit. I guess I'm just nostalgic like that.

rawkhawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1in52lpt said:
I think Leavy has made it his life's mission to not get blamed for a call against the Seahawks for the rest of his career. I think he really did feel bad about XL after the fact.

He called our game very fairly last year.

Yea I'd say he seems to call games ok. He knows he effed up, felt bad and moved on. Mike Carey is horrid and am glad he's not on the crew. If I never see him it would be fine. What am I saying? Most suck like Mike. :13:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
jlwaters1":32dg1ggz said:
hawker84":32dg1ggz said:
Or better yet, is there a crew out there that's worth half a damn...

They all suck, and they all blow calls, miss calls, and you can thank Rog for that.

How so? Goodell isn't the head of officiating. Furthermore he doesn't make the rules (or changes to the rules), that's the competition committee made up of current coaches and GM's for the most part.
To chime in here...
He may not be the head of officiating but he hires the guy that is, and is that guy's boss........and is the CEO of the league. So yes, in my eyes he is responsible for the "state of officiating" in the league HE RUNS.

He is not some powerless figurehead that some portray him to be. The owners might be a bunch of clueless dorks as a group, but they are not so stupid that they are going to pay a powerless figurehead 44 million dollars a year just to put on a suit and get in front of the cameras every so often.

Threedee

Reaction score
I think Morelli's crew is the best, although I'm sure someone will remember his blooper reel.

Threedee

Reaction score
One official, who retired at the end of last season, looks exactly like the actor Van Heflin from the classic western, Shane (he played the rancher Shane was helping). I'm going to miss seeing him queue up a call and yelling "Don't Go, Shane!"

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I am more worried about the loss of Unger and possibly Kam for this game than the Ref crew. But that's just me.

Hamhawk

Reaction score
Leavy will call the game fairly,....actually feel ok when he officiates the Hawks now,...
I'm still amazed that he had the cajones to admit he blew calls in XL,....he's ok now in my book after that,...( although still hate him for that Superbowl)