Superbowl XL referee Bill Leavy passes away at 76

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
The Rooneys got a gift they have been around so long when they fart you see dust, Bettis a send off party in his home town, and yes the NFL has something to gain, merchandizing for the Steelers much better then the Seahawks with the Rapist there and us with really no big name guys, advertising for games the next year again with the Steelers. Goodell doesn't like our franchise, he had investigations about our crowd noise launched after we beat the Giants in the Shockey game. Wasn't a big fan of Paul who sent Representatives to League meetings most the time etc and didn't join the Jerry club and at that time was the richest owner as well.
So you’re saying the game was fixed?

RiverDog

Reaction score
Honest question: If you honestly believe, as some of you apparently do, that NFL games are fixed or steered towards a predetermined outcome, why would you continue to be fans of the game to such a degree that you'd participate in a forum like this?

Mix

Reaction score
My team lost the Super Bowl, had to be rigged. Human error? That wont help me cope.

keasley45

Reaction score
My team lost the Super Bowl, had to be rigged. Human error? That wont help me cope.
We lost against the Pat's. No hanky panky.

Human error is usually applied indescrimently. In a contest between two groups, when it's not, there's often underlying intent, however subtle.

It's been well documented that a hold can be called on every play. PI - same thing. So again, when the flags only fly against one side, when in real time and replay, it's obvious flags against one team shoukd have been called and weren't, while flags against the other in at best marginal cases were thrown... underlying intent.

It's also well known that there's such a thing as a makeup call in refereeing. That's when a crew or official knows they screwed up and unfairly gave one team an advantage and so they'll call an infraction, like a hold, which happens all the time anyway to even things out and neutralize the influence of a bad call. But with that means at their discretion, if it wasn't used in this lopsided a case... maybe there's a reason.

There's corruption everywhere.

Does it point to league wide conspiracy? No.

Does it point to a predetermined outcome? No

But just because you don't know why certain actions occurred, doesn't mean there wasn't intent.

And the errors in this games officiating were so lopsided and so without thought during the game as to how the calls were affecting the outcome, that to think it was all just coincidence is like believing it's possible to roll 6s a dozen times straight in craps. Could it happen? Statistically speaking? Sure. Likely, nope.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Honest question: If you honestly believe, as some of you apparently do, that NFL games are fixed or steered towards a predetermined outcome, why would you continue to be fans of the game to such a degree that you'd participate in a forum like this?
The trick in answering that question is in understanding exactly what you mean by "games." The plural usage spans the range from a couple to all. I don't think anyone would be here if they believed all the games are fixed. I don't think they'd be here if they believed most of the games are fixed. Or half. Or a third. Or a tenth.

Speaking for myself, I believe that IF there is any officiating shenanigans happening, it wouldn't be happening on more than one or two games per year. Any more than that, it would be discovered. So I believe that without evidence to the contrary, virtually all NFL games are officiated without any intent by anyone on the field to sway the game one way or the other.

But SBXL* has a stink about it. The entire country saw it happening when it happened. Pitt apologists and history revisioners didn't start getting loud until several weeks after the game. They didn't dare until the dust had settled.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The trick in answering that question is in understanding exactly what you mean by "games." The plural usage spans the range from a couple to all. I don't think anyone would be here if they believed all the games are fixed. I don't think they'd be here if they believed most of the games are fixed. Or half. Or a third. Or a tenth.

Speaking for myself, I believe that IF there is any officiating shenanigans happening, it wouldn't be happening on more than one or two games per year. Any more than that, it would be discovered. So I believe that without evidence to the contrary, virtually all NFL games are officiated without any intent by anyone on the field to sway the game one way or the other.

But SBXL* has a stink about it. The entire country saw it happening when it happened. Pitt apologists and history revisioners didn't start getting loud until several weeks after the game. They didn't dare until the dust had settled.
I agree, that IF there were any game fixing, that it would be few and far between, most likely playoff or championship games where large amounts of betting activity occurs. But even then, if I felt that any given game MIGHT be fixed, especially if it involved a team that I had a large amount of emotional capital invested in like my Seahawks, I'd swear off the entire sport.

And yes, XL did have a stink to it. But shit happens.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
So the NFL is going to fix or steer a game where the only thing they can gain by it is potentially some extra sales of T-shirts and merchandise? Again, they risk losing everything for this? I’m sorry, but anyone that believes this was fixed is so far removed from reality that nothing I or anyone else would say could even make a difference.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Gee, I don't know, maybe because addictions are hard to break, or we enjoy social discussions where there's a common interest?

:rolleyes: