Blast from the past; Seahawks first real taste of glory

OP
OP
SeAhAwKeR4life

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
I actually watched those games both last night. Great gritty football.

What I did not recall is how much Krieg spread the ball around. Largent wasn't at all the only capable receiver.

Gotta admit though, Curt Warner carried the team.

Was also cool remembering that "no name" defense. I think it was before Easley was a recognized star too, cuz he's playing, but nobody says much about him

JPPT1974

Reaction score
Yeah as really that 80's team these days as awesome as they were, very much underrated!

Lagartixa

Reaction score

Toward the end of that game (the wildcard game against the Broncos), one of the TV announcers said something to the effect of "I guess the question now is 'can the Dolphins ride "the wave"?'"
My dad took that moment as an opportunity to sit down with me and talk to me about how great the Seahawks' season had been and how good the team looked like it could be over the next few seasons, and so I shouldn't be too disappointed if the season ended the next week in Miami. He was trying to prepare me because the Dolphins really were pretty strong at that time, and they'd be playing at home. Dad didn't want me not to celebrate, but he wanted to avoid having me get really disappointed if the Seahawks lost to a team pretty much everyone in the national media expected to beat them.

Lagartixa

Reaction score

My dad had prepared me at the end the wildcard game in case the Seahawks lost in the divisional round in Miami, but the Seahawks won!
I celebrated by putting on my numberless royal-blue Seahawks jersey and my silver Seahawks helmet with the gray facemask, going outside, and running around my quiet neighborhood waving my arms over my head and yelling. Because it was the end of December in Maine, everybody's doors and windows were closed, so I don't know if anyone even noticed me.

The only thing standing between my Seahawks and the Super Bowl was a team the Seahawks had beaten twice that season.

I will never stop loathing the f**kin' Raiders.

Jac

Reaction score

What a treat getting to watch the end of this in raw/original form. I was just a little kid at the time, and this was the game that turned me into a fan. When Curt Warner swept right into the end zone, I was jumping up and down on the couch to celebrate (which surprised my parents). A core memory for sure.

AiKonaguy

Reaction score

My dad took me to this game. Will never forget the experience and the coordinated effort of the wave. They handed us all those cards that were blue on one side and white on the other to flip when the wave got to us. Bill the Beer Man would jump around from section to section leading the wave. Those were some simple good times. Surreal seeing it again like this in the original format.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
What a treat getting to watch the end of this in raw/original form. I was just a little kid at the time, and this was the game that turned me into a fan. When Curt Warner swept right into the end zone, I was jumping up and down on the couch to celebrate (which surprised my parents). A core memory for sure.
It's amazing how important special teams were in that game, especially at the end!

OP
OP
SeAhAwKeR4life

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Trivia fact, as well as a record the Seahawks hold that will likely never be broken?

The Seattle Seahawks are the ONLY NFL team to have played in both the AFC and NFC conference championship game.

Bonus game, the Seahawks first championship:

OP
OP
SeAhAwKeR4life

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Funny, one thing I NEVER liked about the Wilson years that was never the problem with other QBs...

With Wilson it always felt like the offense was inept. I mean we could run it fairly well, but the passing game was always so sloppy, that every big score and every win always seemed so unexpected. It always relied on some play breaking down or just hurling it as far as he could and some circus catch. I just NEVER felt confident in the offense, despite Wilson's ability to pull things out of his a** every week.

I really don't miss that.

evergreen

Reaction score
I remember the games and that magical season. We beat the Raiders 2x I think. They were a power house and rolled us in the AFCCG.
What I loved was the fumbles. No talk of replay to see if the dude was down or not. If that ball comes out its live!

RiverDog

Reaction score
I fell in love with Dave Krieg that season. In the post game interview after our playoff win over the heavily favored Dolphins, Krieg was asked about an interception he had thrown and he said something like "yeah, I'm sure there were a lot of folks back in Seattle that were cussing me out over that one." I laughed out loud as I was one of those that was swearing at him.

'83 was the high water mark for our franchise for 22 years until Holmgren/Hass/SA and Co. took us to XL in the 2005 season.

James in PA

Reaction score
Curt Warner - the reason I became a Seahawks fan.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when I'm explaining to someone (especially a younger person) how I became a Seahawks fan. Curt Warner is always the first name I bring up. This is followed by a confused look and I have to explain, no, not the quarterback.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I actually watched those games both last night. Great gritty football.

What I did not recall is how much Krieg spread the ball around. Largent wasn't at all the only capable receiver.

Gotta admit though, Curt Warner carried the team.

Was also cool remembering that "no name" defense. I think it was before Easley was a recognized star too, cuz he's playing, but nobody says much about him
LOL Yeah?, I remember a game where Easley was eating John Elways' lunch...I distinctly remember an announcer asking if there were 2 defenders in that game wearing the number 45, he WAS EVERYWHERE in every play of that game, including John Elways' HEAD.

keasley45

Reaction score
I'd only been a fan for a season or two by 83. It was a treat because I became a fan a year or two before when we weren't very good. Will never forget how incredible it felt to know how close we were to the superbowl and how everybody in the country was watching us...

But as great at the 83 team turned out to be, the 84 team was even better.

Thanks for posting.

Latest posts