Blatant hands to face on last play

HawkGA

Reaction score
Silver Hawk":sfn9pwdn said:
Seanhawk":sfn9pwdn said:
I don't think I've ever seen a hands to the face penalty called on that quick of a slap. It's usually called when someone gets their hand under someone's chin or facemask and pushes their head back.

I'm sure there is a name for the penalty that Jones committed by slapping Sherman in the head.

Back in the old days didn't they literally call it a head slap? Seems I remember that being a pretty common tactic before a rule against it was made.

253hawk

Reaction score
ARTICLE 12. STRIKING, KICKING, OR KNEEING OPPONENTS All players are prohibited from:
1. striking an opponent with his fists
2. kicking or kneeing an opponent
3. striking, swinging at, or clubbing the head, neck, or face of an opponent with the wrist(s), arm(s), elbow(s), or hand(s)

Look how far off-balance Sherman was because of it. If he has those steps back, he probably has enough time to turn his head and make the play cleanly. I mean if Earl can get a 'blow to the head' penalty for that little tap Tannehill got a few years ago...

Smellyman

Reaction score
HawkGA":5l0zfc42 said:
Silver Hawk":5l0zfc42 said:
Seanhawk":5l0zfc42 said:
I don't think I've ever seen a hands to the face penalty called on that quick of a slap. It's usually called when someone gets their hand under someone's chin or facemask and pushes their head back.

I'm sure there is a name for the penalty that Jones committed by slapping Sherman in the head.

Back in the old days didn't they literally call it a head slap? Seems I remember that being a pretty common tactic before a rule against it was made.

Which led to this quote from Deacon Jones. lol man or woman

[youtube]Lm2l0pxYw-4[/youtube]

RichNhansom

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":3kycjl4o said:
RichNhansom":3kycjl4o said:
Seanhawk":3kycjl4o said:

You normally don't see a player redirected the way Sherman was either. That penalty was much more visible also.

If the play is called correctly it's offsetting penalties. Play over. If they call either one without calling the other then a fan base has a legitimate beef but they didn't.

You can make a better argument on the Kearse hold off the line and then PI. If that is called we likely don't see that final Atlanta offensive play.

It would be offsetting and the down replayed.

I should have worded it better but that's what I meant by offsetting penalties. Play over.

Should have said replay the down.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Regardless of what the correct call was on that play, I feel like the Seahawks gave been given a pretty rough deal by the zebras this season so i'll take this call without a shred of guilt.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Smellyman":hil5divy said:
HawkGA":hil5divy said:
Silver Hawk":hil5divy said:
Seanhawk":hil5divy said:

Which led to this quote from Deacon Jones. lol man or woman

[youtube]Lm2l0pxYw-4[/youtube]

Man or woman. That's awesome.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Why do so many Seahawk fans have a hard time admitting a fortunate call happened in our favor? Blows my mind. :lol:

HawkGA

Reaction score
My guess is because Hawks fans are sick of whenever a call does go the Hawks way, it is a week's worth of belly-aching about how horrible the call was and how changes need to be made. There are lots of bad calls in games but I don't think any of them lead to the national media begging for rules changes the ways calls in favor of the Seahawks go.

As evidence I give you the Fail Mary and the Detroit game last year.

I am honestly surprised there has not been more talk (maybe there has been and I just haven't seen it) about how PI should be reviewable. Tends to make people defensive.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I acknowledge all the calls that were fortunate for both teams. But honestly, I like winning in ways that makes the rest of the league hate us for it. It's just so much more fun.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
HawkGA":6mkxslss said:
My guess is because Hawks fans are sick of whenever a call does go the Hawks way, it is a week's worth of belly-aching about how horrible the call was and how changes need to be made. There are lots of bad calls in games but I don't think any of them lead to the national media begging for rules changes the ways calls in favor of the Seahawks go.

As evidence I give you the Fail Mary and the Detroit game last year.

I am honestly surprised there has not been more talk (maybe there has been and I just haven't seen it) about how PI should be reviewable. Tends to make people defensive.

And consequently, when the calls go against us, no outcry from the media whatsoever.

So yeah, we are allowed to be a bit defensive :)

OP
OP
cymatica

cymatica

Reaction score
After watching the lines on the same play, there is also a blatent hands to the face on our dline, i think it happened against marsh.

These announcers and talking heads need to shut up about missed calls until they analyze the whole play, even then it's annoying and half the time they get it wrong and look stupid.

mrt144

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":2l5vbxoq said:
I'm generally disgusted by any type of media by now. NFL and ESPN makes me want to retch on the same level of Fox, CNN, and all the other poopshows that pass for news.

You don't want a game ending on some weak ass penalty call... it's tradition in sports to let the players slug it out on the last play, and you only call the most blatant crap.

I am so done with this "waaa waaa waaaa" safe place society led by a media that has abandoned all reason and dignity for what amounts to a nightly fishwife gossip hour.

That's what our news and sports coverage are these day... gossip, and opinions, and nagging, nagging, nagging. It drives me crazy.

This kvetching and whining and hissing about every little thing under the sun when you don't get your way is madness.

Excuse me if I'm in "mansplaining" mode right now, but holy crap, isn't it about time for folks to grow up. If this game were reversed, and it was Jimmy Graham or Kearse that couldn't come up with the game winning catch on 4th down... I'd say this...

"Why were we relying on a long bomb on 4th and long to win the game in the first place?" Matt Ryan had 3 other chances to get the first down and move the chains, and he FAILED.

So shut up Falcon fans.

I'd put that failure squarely on my team, not the refs.

Ohhhhhhhkay?

12thbrah

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":18jmtn4h said:
Why do so many Seahawk fans have a hard time admitting a fortunate call happened in our favor? Blows my mind. :lol:

I think most Hawks fans would admit it was a fortunate call. We just have a problem with those opposing fans and media saying we "stole" that game. Like having the ball placed at your opponents 40 yard line automatically guarantees a win?

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
OpHawk":1zu4qazb said:
Guys, that wasn't much. Complaining about this type of stuff makes us look small.

Hawks won this game fair and square. We don't have to apologize to anyone the way this franchise has been treated over the years.

100% agree. You can basically call holding or hands to the face on every play if you really wanted to.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
good non-call on the hands to the face just like it was a good non-call on the PI so that offenses can't just throw a jump ball every desperate play and win every game that way.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3un0elji said:
OpHawk":3un0elji said:
Guys, that wasn't much. Complaining about this type of stuff makes us look small.

Hawks won this game fair and square. We don't have to apologize to anyone the way this franchise has been treated over the years.

100% agree. You can basically call holding or hands to the face on every play if you really wanted to.

I don't disagree about every play but on a play that it completely redirects a player in the nature that it did Sherman, I cannot imagine it not getting called. If it was a simple slap or incidental touch OK but in this case it was blatant and a big contributor as to why Sherman wasn't in great position.

Consider both penalties were called. No one would be complaining about either one. The down would be replayed and that would be it. Had they called the PI and ignored the hands to the face we would have a legitimate gripe no different than they would if they called the hands to the face but ignored the PI.

I don't see anyone arguing it wasn't worthy of a flag it's just hard to listen to anyone wanting to say we didn't deserve to win the game based solely on that one factor of the game while ignoring not just the rest of the game but the rest of the actual play in question.

OP
OP
cymatica

cymatica

Reaction score
The hands to the face against our dline on that play was prett obvious. So thats 2 in the same play.

The whole point of pointing that out is to show the hypocracy in whoever is complaining.

The falcons are the team everyone is rooting for right now and that is never the case for the south alaskan seahawks.

Hawksfan78

Reaction score
I think the refs chalked it up to hail mary type of play. It was 4th and 10 at the 25 and threw it 40 yards hoping for the best. PI is hardly ever called on a hail mary.

whidbeast

Reaction score
I expected a lot of outrage. All the Falcons fans who became Panther fans last season are Falcons fans again

scutterhawk

Reaction score
12thbrah":3tr99ejv said:
Hawks always push it to the limit when it comes to holding and grabbing. They figure out early in the game how physical the refs will let them be. If anything Sherman prob knew already the ref was not going to call anything in the end.

You have to include the Falcons in the "Always Push It To The Limit", I mean, after all, Dan Quinn is now their HC, and you can bet that there's a continuation of some philosophies as when he was with the Seahawks.