Blatant hands to face on last play

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
HawkGA":2ls86swy said:
My guess is because Hawks fans are sick of whenever a call does go the Hawks way, it is a week's worth of belly-aching about how horrible the call was and how changes need to be made. There are lots of bad calls in games but I don't think any of them lead to the national media begging for rules changes the ways calls in favor of the Seahawks go.

As evidence I give you the Fail Mary and the Detroit game last year.

I am honestly surprised there has not been more talk (maybe there has been and I just haven't seen it) about how PI should be reviewable. Tends to make people defensive.
Also, The Romo bobbled snap against Seattle in the playoffs also lead to a rule change because uncle Jerruh cried to the league about a bogus claim of a "slick ball" because his dumb ass QB couldn't handle a snap.

Got away with one? Great. So did Julio Jones with the blatant hands to the face before the non-called PI, I wish the Falcons fans and the contrarians could admit that.

After all the "screwings" Seattle has gotten by the NFL including the worst in NFL history (see superfix XL*) and the boner in LA this year with all of the phantom PI's on both sides of the ball against Seattle, forgive me if I don't feel guilty.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
Next time make the frigging extrapoint and its all a non issue

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Mase

Reaction score
-- I think Jones could have drawn the flag if he would have made more of an effort for the ball with the arm that was being restricted. As I look at it, it really looks like he is contorting his body and arm, to make a one handed catch. It seemed like he realized he couldn't twist himself to catch it with both hands.

-- Or maybe after the tank job on his previous target when he tried to use both hands, maybe he thought one would be better. They wouldn't fight each other.

-- Bottomline, it was fourth down, it felt like a hail mary, just launch it deep against double coverage, and hope for the best. Refs are loathe to reward a play like that. The coverage is coming from Atlanta being a great story, and the Seahawks still being viewed as the bully who pushes everyone around.

Mase

RiverDog

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3rg51g6v said:
Why do so many Seahawk fans have a hard time admitting a fortunate call happened in our favor? Blows my mind. :lol:

I don't think anyone is not admitting that we got a favorable call. We did. It's undeniable. The point is that there are a lot of people, including those in the media, that are taking this issue to an extreme by demanding that future PI calls be reviewable, that it was a game changing no call, that we were gifted a win.

The truth is that if that play was correctly called, they should have flagged both JJones for offensive PI (no, it wasn't mild, it turned his head and knocked him off balance) along with Sherman for defensive PI, and the two penalties would have offset. But given that a 3rd/4th down and 10 conversion percentage is going to be way under 50%, the odds are that the Falcons still wouldn't have won that game.

What blows my mind is how many fans look at not only one single play, but one single aspect of one single play.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
I coach kids soccer and there are any number of calls every game that could go either way. But at the end of the game, blaming the officials is unacceptable on my team. No idea why this would be any different. People really think this one play defined the outcome of the game? Did they miss seeing the FG attempt in Minnesota last year?

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Seahawks do something alot of people don't like, all of a sudden they trying to change the rules and make new ones hoping our team would fall off. That so called "LOB rule" all it did was hurt other teams.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Isn't there some kind of 5 yard rule, and anything beyond that is fair game for a penalty.

Of course that said, I guess a hand to your face mask is rather flagrant.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Bobblehead":fho8edg3 said:
Isn't there some kind of 5 yard rule, and anything beyond that is fair game for a penalty.

hands to the face is lllegal anywhere. A slap to the head is even worse.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Smellyman":6l9pqsni said:
Bobblehead":6l9pqsni said:

hands to the face is lllegal anywhere. A slap to the head is even worse.

Ok, good to know.

Smellyman

Reaction score
It won't happen. I reiterate, it won't happen.

But it would be awfully funny if Julio was fined for it. :)

Bullmeister

Reaction score
Taken from this thread: http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=129825 but more relevant here:

In relation to the way the NFL portrayed that last Atlanta play on offense: https://streamable.com/h1y6

Bullmeister":2ayxqaj3 said:
Reaneypark":2ayxqaj3 said:
beastalamode":2ayxqaj3 said:
A couple things I noticed:

(edit)

2. They edited out Julio's hands to the face of Sherman and replaced it with some footage of Julio coming off the line with Sherman nowhere to be seen. :roll:

Yeah, that editing trick was garbage. Way to misrepresent what really happened!

I am surprised some of you aren't more ticked off by this.

The NFL blatantly edited the part of their "Inside the NFL Highlights" package that covers this very controversial last Atlanta offensive play with footage from some other time in the game when Jones was not lined up against Sherman in what can only be thought of a deliberate attempt to make it seem to all who watch this highlights pack that this was actually how that last play played out.

Would love for this incredible disingenuous portrayal by the NFL to be called out for what it is on social media.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
When these types of plays happen in our games, fan bases of other teams cry 'FOUL' at the top of their collective voice because it allows them to explain away in their heads why Seattle has a better record than their team.

I simply smile at every such post on their boards.

We caught a break. It happens. It's nice to be on the flip side for a change.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Strange. Seifert has an article at ESPN about how wonderful PI review is in Canada.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Buccaneers Seahawks Football

You know what this whole topic and conversation has me thinking? What in the world has happened to the game that I grew up with and loved? Holy Cow man. [Shaking my head]. As a fan, it has me wanting to wear the bag of shame for what the game has become. Though I recognize fully the dangers of this sport and the long term trauma and scars that can and do result ... this is the nature of the beast. Football is a violent sport by nature. That's its nature. What the NFL is trying to though is to change the leopard's spots ... and what they're going to end up doing is creating an entirely different animal altogether from the one fans fell in love with in the first place. I am SO with Dave Wyman in saying that there are far too many penalties these days ... and that penalties are absolutely killing this sport. I mean, come on -- are we headed towards flag football here? Unless it's absolutely egregious, let the guys play and decide things on the field of battle. Sheesh.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":16rj7fq6 said:

You know what this whole topic and conversation has me thinking? What in the world has happened to the game that I grew up with and loved? Holy Cow man. [Shaking my head]. As a fan, it has me wanting to wear the bag of shame for what the game has become. Though I recognize fully the dangers of this sport and the long term trauma and scars that can and do result ... this is the nature of the beast. Football is a violent sport by nature. That's its nature. What the NFL is trying to though is to change the leopard's spots ... and what they're going to end up doing is creating an entirely different animal altogether from the one fans fell in love with in the first place. I am SO with Dave Wyman in saying that there are far too many penalties these days ... and that penalties are absolutely killing this sport. I mean, come on -- are we headed towards flag football here? Unless it's absolutely egregious, let the guys play and decide things on the field of battle. Sheesh.

Have to agree but I really don't understand why the NFL wasn't more proactive and honest from the beginning or at least when the head injuries came to light.

Seems they could have openly acknowledged this is a dangerous and violant sport. Make it commonly known it is a play at your own risk league.

Ice truckers and fisherman aren't suing for bad weather.

This is a game that players play for free. How many law suits are the college ranks fighting?

Have every player sign a contract acknowledging the danger of the game. Hold the players accountable. If you really feel you need to sue then sue the opponent that injured you.

The league IMO has screwed up by taking the approach they have. Reducing the quality of game and at the same time taking responsibility as if the players didn't know they could get hurt.

nIdahoSeahawk

Reaction score
Bobblehead":d9q04d1d said:

Even within 5 yards, hands to the face is still a penalty. The only person that can get away with it is the ball carrier.

253hawk

Reaction score
You can jam someone for 5 yards, but not hit them in the head. It's pretty clear:

ARTICLE 12. STRIKING, KICKING, OR KNEEING OPPONENTS. All players are prohibited from:
(a) striking an opponent with his fists
(b) kicking or kneeing an opponent
(c) striking, swinging at, or clubbing the head, neck, or face of an opponent with the wrist(s), arm(s), elbow(s), or hand(s)

Smellyman

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":3ul5oiz8 said:

Remember when a flag was thrown 95% of the time it was offensive holding or false start. Now, who knows?

RiverDog

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1js2jydn said:

From the rule book pertaining to the use of hands, arms, and bodies:

"Hands cannot be thrust forward above the frame to contact an opponent on the neck, face, or head."

The "thrust forward" was significant enough to cause Sherman's head to turn and threw him off balance, so it clearly affected the play. I'm certain that the same ref or refs that made the no-call at the end of the play saw the contact at the beginning of the play and that it influenced their decision not to throw the flag. Had the contact at the LOS not happened, I'm sure that Jones would have drawn the flag, but then again, Sherman would have been in a better position to defend the pass.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/788831734552866816[/tweet]