Boldin Being A Distraction?

formido

Reaction score
NinerBuff":1ue7oj6x said:
Scottemojo":1ue7oj6x said:
If a QB didn't tear it up when no contact was allowed, that would be news. Kaepernick looking good without pads, what the hell ever. In fact, that is about the 5th time this spring I have heard a report about how good he looks in spring drills. Almost like they are trying to reassure the fans that all is well.

FWIW, the only time reports like these have come out of Niner Land, Alex Smith had just finished his first year with Harbaugh and he had his best statistical season. Last season, Kaep was very uneven during offseason work. Now, there really isn't any negative news (on or off the field) coming out.

The reports from off-season work appear uneven this year, too.

THE NOT-SO-GOOD

1. Colin Kaepernick. First, his passes were sailing all over the place this afternoon. He completed 7-of-15 passes by my count, and he missed four-of-his-first-five. When he missed, he was overthrowing receivers deep or firing short passes as hard as he could. Second, he did not throw it to Vernon Davis one time. With Crabtree out, you’d think Kaepernick would make it his business to develop chemistry between him and Davis. Finally, Kaepernick and the first-team offense went three-and-out against the second-team defense in a two-minute drill at the end of practice. Kaepernick threw two wild passes on that series. I’m not concerned about Kaepernick, though. Today probably was just a bad day.

2. A.J. Jenkins. He was targeted once and made one catch – a five yard gain on a stick route. Every other receiver was targeted at least twice. Jenkins is the favorite to win the open competition at split end, but he’s going to have to make some plays to actually win the job. Quinton Patton had three catches on three targets this afternoon, Lockette and Hall played well, and Kyle Williams should join the competition in training camp.

[ http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2013/05/ ... ck-is-not/ ]

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":16aou3vg said:
I could care less if Kaepernick is completing passes in padless practices. What I might care about are reports of him feeling the offense better and checking reads with more speed and comfort (which the article linked by DrDiags makes no mention of). So yeah, pretty much a meaningless report. I agree with Scott, it sounds like Harbaugh and the local media are trying to stave off fear from the fanbase over what is clearly a WR problem.

Also, the 49ers secondary was utterly shredded by opponents over the last six games of the 2012/2013 season (beginning with New England). Their defense is kind of the inverse of ours, elite up front but questionable in the back. As if that cold streak wasn't bad enough, they've since lost multiple pro-bowler Dashon Goldson and replaced him with a hype job 1st rounder in Eric Reid. If anyone thinks that's a lateral move, I'd call that wishful thinking based on my impressions of Reid from scouting him before the draft. I wouldn't quite call their secondary "miserable", but behind a lot of other NFL front sevens it probably would be. All of which is even more reason to not care about this report.
Agreed. I already know that Kaep can throw some dimes when he is in a clean pocket, so no contact drills mean squat. Jenkins looking good against corners who can't jam means squat too. Unproven players are exactly that. And spring ball does not prove anything except knowledge of the playbook.

drdiags

Reaction score
The thing in regards to Kaep and the opinion of him being a one read QB is it doesn't jive with other reports from the NFL.com folks who claim he has shown the ability to go to a 4th read for example. I have no skin in this game and I know there have been long running back and forth with the 9ers fans that visit but I am not going all in on the doubt train.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
drdiags":2v529d74 said:
The thing in regards to Kaep and the opinion of him being a one read QB is it doesn't jive with other reports from the NFL.com folks who claim he has shown the ability to go to a 4th read for example. I have no skin in this game and I know there have been long running back and forth with the 9ers fans that visit but I am not going all in on the doubt train.

It's NFL.com they pimp the Niners at every opportunity. I'm not sure I would believe anything they wright about the Niners.

Other note: What would you rather have? Harvin, Rice, Tate, Baldwin, Miller practicing against Sherman, Browner, ET, Kamtrack and Windfield?

Or, Boldin, VD and some unknowns practicing against Whitner, old man time, a rookie safety and a poor secondary?

Ahh the rich just keep getting richer. Gotta love it.

heyu123

Reaction score
hawker84":27pjoy5v said:
Sounds Like Mr. Boldin isn't making to many friend over in the SF camp... Wow this guy actually sounds like a first class tool... Man i hope there's some truth to this, as much as the whiners want to believe sherman is a locker room distraction, never heard Sherm doing any of this..?

Is this a real site or just a Goof kind of site? I've never heard of it. Gotta be fake, but still funny..

http://profootballmock.com/ex-raven-anq ... ring-otas/

Lol. Are you going to link an onion article next and ask if its real?

Reaction score
formido":2a8jgxiy said:
NinerBuff":2a8jgxiy said:
Scottemojo":2a8jgxiy said:
If a QB didn't tear it up when no contact was allowed, that would be news. Kaepernick looking good without pads, what the hell ever. In fact, that is about the 5th time this spring I have heard a report about how good he looks in spring drills. Almost like they are trying to reassure the fans that all is well.

FWIW, the only time reports like these have come out of Niner Land, Alex Smith had just finished his first year with Harbaugh and he had his best statistical season. Last season, Kaep was very uneven during offseason work. Now, there really isn't any negative news (on or off the field) coming out.

The reports from off-season work appear uneven this year, too.

THE NOT-SO-GOOD

1. Colin Kaepernick. First, his passes were sailing all over the place this afternoon. He completed 7-of-15 passes by my count, and he missed four-of-his-first-five. When he missed, he was overthrowing receivers deep or firing short passes as hard as he could. Second, he did not throw it to Vernon Davis one time. With Crabtree out, you’d think Kaepernick would make it his business to develop chemistry between him and Davis. Finally, Kaepernick and the first-team offense went three-and-out against the second-team defense in a two-minute drill at the end of practice. Kaepernick threw two wild passes on that series. I’m not concerned about Kaepernick, though. Today probably was just a bad day.

2. A.J. Jenkins. He was targeted once and made one catch – a five yard gain on a stick route. Every other receiver was targeted at least twice. Jenkins is the favorite to win the open competition at split end, but he’s going to have to make some plays to actually win the job. Quinton Patton had three catches on three targets this afternoon, Lockette and Hall played well, and Kyle Williams should join the competition in training camp.

[ http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2013/05/ ... ck-is-not/ ]

Grant Cohn bashes the 49ers often and has for years. That's nothing new. He's one of the more critical writers out there.

Marvin49

Reaction score
QuickLightning":eqaz8ur6 said:
Grant Cohn bashes the 49ers often and has for years. That's nothing new. He's one of the more critical writers out there.

"Critical" is being nice. Grant is a total Hack, just like his father Lowell. Both make their living saying things they think are controvercial. That's their MO. If you really want to read someone who knows what they are doing, read Matt Maiocco (CSN Bay Area) or Matt Barrows (Sacremento Bee).

OP
OP
hawker84

hawker84

Reaction score
heyu123":2cjhsvpk said:
hawker84":2cjhsvpk said:
Sounds Like Mr. Boldin isn't making to many friend over in the SF camp... Wow this guy actually sounds like a first class tool... Man i hope there's some truth to this, as much as the whiners want to believe sherman is a locker room distraction, never heard Sherm doing any of this..?

Is this a real site or just a Goof kind of site? I've never heard of it. Gotta be fake, but still funny..

http://profootballmock.com/ex-raven-anq ... ring-otas/

Lol. Are you going to link an onion article next and ask if its real?

I don't know what an onion article is?

NinerLifer

Reaction score
Seriously guys, trying to dig up dirt on our team to help make you feel better about your chances is all well and fine...but from a site that has "mock" in its title???

Try to not look desperate. ;)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
NinerLifer":26xnv463 said:
Seriously guys, trying to dig up dirt on our team to help make you feel better about your chances is all well and fine...but from a site that has "mock" in its title???

Ya mean like posting on a division rivals message board???? That kind of desperate?????

RedAlice

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1fkqmtnk said:
NinerLifer":1fkqmtnk said:

Ya mean like posting on a division rivals message board???? That kind of desperate?????

That doesn't even make sense.

Plenty of Hawk fans post on the Niner forum. In fact I think one of them only posts there and not here.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2habestv said:
drdiags":2habestv said:
That is the site that does the NFL QB Facebook conversation the past 2 yrs. I hope you didn't post this over on the rival 9ers fan board, at least not seriously thinking you had something on them.

According to Maiocco, the 9ers closed out mini-camp with Kap putting on a clinic with his WRs. I think some are hoping for things that may not be as dire as one might think.

Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 16h
Minicamp ends with a Colin Kaepernick flourish, as he ripped defense to shreds on passes to Moore, McDonald, Osgood, Jenkins and Lockette.

Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 15h
Final 49ers minicamp report: Kaepernick and his pass targets finished in style.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/49ers-minicamp-day-3-kaepernick-ends-flourish

Padded practice and training camp will complete the picture.

I get that their defense is also going to be really bad next year after reading that.

That was my exact thought too. I think the trend of the niners winning two fewer games than the previous season will continue this year.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RedAlice":1criu63q said:
Sports Hernia":1criu63q said:
NinerLifer":1criu63q said:

That doesn't even make sense.

Plenty of Hawk fans post on the Niner forum. In fact I think one of them only posts there and not here.

It makes plenty of sense. Thanks for proving my point. :th2thumbs:
....and as for the Hawk fans posting over there, they are in the same boat as the ninnies fans here (with the exception of Box).

RedAlice

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1qd97wrn said:
It makes plenty of sense. Thanks for proving my point. :th2thumbs:
....and as for the Hawk fans posting over there, they are in the same boat as the ninnies fans here (with the exception of Box).
[/quote]

I disagree.

I think the back and forth conversations between the teams that take place are good and interesting. How could you have a dialogue with a fan of a division rival online without visiting their board? Or having them visit yours?

Are you saying that any fan who wants to discuss football with a fan of a division rival is desperate? That you should only discuss football with the fans of your team?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Most of the time yes!
Problem is as a FAN most folks tend to OVER-DEFEND their team on opposing boards..... Most cannot resist the temptation to take shots and then flame wars start. I find it amusing how fans of other teams generally will stay away until their teams get good or on the cusp of getting good and then start trolling. Before last season there was zero ninnies fans here except for Box (the only 9'er fan here I respect), all of the sudden their team gets good and the SF troll invasion starts.

No Rams fans until you showed up, if they make some waves then I fully expect them to show up. Wonder why there are no Cards fans here??? Check their record!

Out of respect for the non-ahole fan base of other teams I don't go post on other teams boards because I know what I post might start something, and I'm in THEIR house. If I go to the whiners boards and post Kraeper is a one look and then run QB, what do you think their reaction would be? They'd defend him to the hilt, and then call Wilson short. What does that accomplish???????

RedAlice

Reaction score
If that is what you would post on a Niner board, then you should stay here for sure.

I like the discussions. I defend the Rams, but I don't insult the team or players ever. No point, and it's not even something I think normally. I happen to like all of the NFC West teams. I have to admit, I enjoy the flame type arguments right now between the Niners and Hawk fans. Is interesting to watch the emotions of both sides.

I see your point though, one comment can escalate.

I didn't post anywhere before last year as I didn't know the boards existed. I found them when I started playing fantasy football last year. That includes the Rams' board as well. Though the Rams' board seems mostly interested in arguing about Bradford or making Mock Drafts. Hopefully this changes.

Well, thanks for being honest about your opinion. And not slamming me for mine.