Bracketology

Natethegreat

Reaction score
JSeahawks":bg4b2z66 said:
Ducks are a 12 seed and play Wisconsin. Anybody know anything about the badgers? I know they usually have a lot of white guys.
Wisconsin isn't very good this year. I think Oregon wins this one.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I feel bad for Zags fans, they got a terrible draw. Syracuse in the second round, last team Few wants to see there. That West bracket is absolutely loaded. FSU just beat Virginia and then played Duke pretty close, and they beat Zags last year in the tourney. Then you got other really capable teams like Marquette, Buffalo and Nevada who can all light it up if they get hot.

Don't mind UW's draw. Utah St is a solid team, honestly don't know much about them. If I had to pick a #1 team to face in teh 2nd round, it would be UNC. Think UW will have a chance at pulling the upset if they can get there.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3uffjkgy said:
I feel bad for Zags fans, they got a terrible draw. Syracuse in the second round, last team Few wants to see there. That West bracket is absolutely loaded. FSU just beat Virginia and then played Duke pretty close, and they beat Zags last year in the tourney. Then you got other really capable teams like Marquette, Buffalo and Nevada who can all light it up if they get hot.

Don't mind UW's draw. Utah St is a solid team, honestly don't know much about them. If I had to pick a #1 team to face in teh 2nd round, it would be UNC. Think UW will have a chance at pulling the upset if they can get there.
Syracuse has been Fews Kryptonite but if they can't beat Cuse they don't deserve the title. Florida as a 4 is a head scratcher for me. That team is really good defensively long and athletic.

D

DomeHawk

I'm really looking forward to this, so much better than watching Pac teams beat each other up.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Natethegreat":ed6l6l9b said:
Hawk-Lock":ed6l6l9b said:

Syracuse has been Fews Kryptonite but if they can't beat Cuse they don't deserve the title. Florida as a 4 is a head scratcher for me. That team is really good defensively long and athletic.

I agree. A #1 should always beat the winner of the 8/9, but that's a tough draw for them. Feel like FSU should have been a 3, that will be a tough Sweet 16 game if they meet. FSU is probably the second most athletic team after Duke. This is the Zags redemption bracket after losing in the past to Syracuse and FSU.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3jr4v4qm said:
Natethegreat":3jr4v4qm said:
Hawk-Lock":3jr4v4qm said:

I agree. A #1 should always beat the winner of the 8/9, but that's a tough draw for them. Feel like FSU should have been a 3, that will be a tough Sweet 16 game if they meet. FSU is probably the second most athletic team after Duke. This is the Zags redemption bracket after losing in the past to Syracuse and FSU.
Almost seems like they purposely set it up that way. Syracuse as an 8 and FSU as a 4. FSU was a lock for a three seed in my mind but whatever.
I don't like complaining about it. You have your shot. Go out and take it. Plus it gives us a shot at redemption.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Cuse isnt that good this year, i agree that if zags cant beat them then this season would be a fluke. I think both UW and Zags got tough regions overall.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
HawkGa, I just noticed that its possible Marquette and GU meet up in the sweet sixteen. Thought that prospect might excite you.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Man, this is a tough tourney to gauge. Hard to not go with top 1-2 seeds but you just know a few of them will unexpectedly lose early.

Kansas is always my team but they are missing a big part of their pre-season hyped players. 4 freshman starting...

Murray State and Buffalo are my sleeper teams, Ja Morant is unreal. He looks like he could be the next big time NBA guard. Buffalo just consistent across the board with a lot of seniors.

Gonzaga and Duke seem easy enough to put into elite 8, Cuse will have a hard time keeping up with the Zags.

I like Houston this year too, barely lost to Michigan last year and look to be even better.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
mistaowen":1uk0tmtd said:
Man, this is a tough tourney to gauge. Hard to not go with top 1-2 seeds but you just know a few of them will unexpectedly lose early.

Kansas is always my team but they are missing a big part of their pre-season hyped players. 4 freshman starting...

Murray State and Buffalo are my sleeper teams, Ja Morant is unreal. He looks like he could be the next big time NBA guard. Buffalo just consistent across the board with a lot of seniors.

Gonzaga and Duke seem easy enough to put into elite 8, Cuse will have a hard time keeping up with the Zags.

I like Houston this year too, barely lost to Michigan last year and look to be even better.

Haven't really gone through the bracket yet, but agree with a lot of this. A lot of people will put Kansas through based on name recognition, but they aren't close to full strength. They are without two of their better players. Buffalo can definitely go far, that team is really good. I think Zags have a tough path but I'll likely have them in my final four, same with Duke. Got a feeling I'll have all four #1 seeds in my Elite 8. Upsets early, and chalk in the late rounds.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I really think the west is stacked with good teams. Nevada as a 7 is really good. So is Buffalo as a six. I thought FSU was a lock for a three seed before the brackets came out. Texas Tech is the best defensive team in the nation. Michigan is a team that went to the championship game last year and only lost one player who they have more than adequately replaced.
As has been said Ja Morant is a top three pick in the draft this year. A lot of people talking about the Mid West region but I think Kentucky is overrated. I think Wofford could give them a good game.
Over all the West region is stacked from top to bottom.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1yxy26la said:
I really think the west is stacked with good teams. Nevada as a 7 is really good. So is Buffalo as a six. I thought FSU was a lock for a three seed before the brackets came out. Texas Tech is the best defensive team in the nation. Michigan is a team that went to the championship game last year and only lost one player who they have more than adequately replaced.
As has been said Ja Morant is a top three pick in the draft this year. A lot of people talking about the Mid West region but I think Kentucky is overrated. I think Wofford could give them a good game.

Yeah West is solid the more I look at it. Lot of streaky teams who seem to be capable of matching anyone. Too bad Nevada and Buffalo would play early, could see both teams breaking some brackets in other conferences. Ja Morant is a stud but against the length, speed, and depth of FSU I think their team will struggle to keep up. Would need a Jimmer-like game to push them through. Gonzaga vs FSU if they both make it that far will be one hell of a game.

Compared to the South which is a huge grouping of 'meh'. Most of the top teams run very slow paced styles trying to shorten the game. That style of play against the same style of play means no one knows who will win. Probably going with Tennessee or Villanova just because they are actually exciting to watch. Kansas St vs Wisconsin could actually be a 50-48 game as the 4 v 5 seeds.

East has 4 interesting top seeds but don't see many surprises until they'd all match up. Mich St has probably their most talented team in awhile and they're always a lock to push into day 2, can never count Sparty out.

Overall though, pretty fun bracket to mess around with so far. Very unique season, Duke looks to be unstoppable with Zion but if he goes down or struggles, they are very beatable. That potential game vs Virginia Tech could be very interesting.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
mistaowen":un00ec48 said:
Natethegreat":un00ec48 said:

Yeah West is solid the more I look at it. Lot of streaky teams who seem to be capable of matching anyone. Too bad Nevada and Buffalo would play early, could see both teams breaking some brackets in other conferences. Ja Morant is a stud but against the length, speed, and depth of FSU I think their team will struggle to keep up. Would need a Jimmer-like game to push them through. Gonzaga vs FSU if they both make it that far will be one hell of a game.

Compared to the South which is a huge grouping of 'meh'. Most of the top teams run very slow paced styles trying to shorten the game. That style of play against the same style of play means no one knows who will win. Probably going with Tennessee or Villanova just because they are actually exciting to watch. Kansas St vs Wisconsin could actually be a 50-48 game as the 4 v 5 seeds.

East has 4 interesting top seeds but don't see many surprises until they'd all match up. Mich St has probably their most talented team in awhile and they're always a lock to push into day 2, can never count Sparty out.

Overall though, pretty fun bracket to mess around with so far. Very unique season, Duke looks to be unstoppable with Zion but if he goes down or struggles, they are very beatable. That potential game vs Virginia Tech could be very interesting.
Tech is getting their top guard back so yeah they are experienced and tough. If they get hot from three they are the only team capable of beating Duke in that region outside of MSU.
East is the easiest bracket to get through for the top teams IMO. Not a lot of quality there really except the top two seeds outside of Virginia Tech.

kidhawk

Reaction score
The bottom of that West Bracket will have some really good match-ups especially in the round of 32 and the sweet 16 (assuming of course my picks go the way I assume). Right now, I have Nevada over Michigan and Buffalo over Texas Tech in the round of 32, and Nevada over Buffalo in the Sweet 16, but honestly I think those games are all a toss up and are the ones I'm looking forward to watching the most (outside of my Blue Devils of course).

Uncle Si

Reaction score
kidhawk":vyyidqdb said:
The bottom of that West Bracket will have some really good match-ups especially in the round of 32 and the sweet 16 (assuming of course my picks go the way I assume). Right now, I have Nevada over Michigan and Buffalo over Texas Tech in the round of 32, and Nevada over Buffalo in the Sweet 16, but honestly I think those games are all a toss up and are the ones I'm looking forward to watching the most (outside of my Blue Devils of course).

Ivecseen similar and dont understand the lack of trust in a really good Michigan team and a strong TTU team.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3rw4nfet said:
kidhawk":3rw4nfet said:

Ivecseen similar and dont understand the lack of trust in a really good Michigan team and a strong TTU team.
I agree, they are both top tier teams but so are the lower seeds. Really tough bracket to pick. Top to bottom its the best bracket.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3unkmy93 said:
kidhawk":3unkmy93 said:

Can't speak for the rest of the brackets, but for me personally, those were the hardest picks I made. I can see those games going either way. A lot will depend on momentum going into those games. I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see my picks be wrong on both of those, but one thing I feel fairly safe in saying is those will be some really fun games to watch.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I thought both oregon and ASU (despite needing a play in game) got more favorable draws than washington.

Id love to see oregon/asu get to final 32 and can see both winning that game.

Huskies... id love to see them play UNC tough. Be good for them moving to next season

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Natethegreat":18722m9c said:
HawkGa, I just noticed that its possible Marquette and GU meet up in the sweet sixteen. Thought that prospect might excite you.

That's about all I've really paid attention to with the bracket too. I'm excited, hope it happens.
Thanks for noticing!