BRADY/PATS PUNISHMENT OVER TURNED BY JUDGE. (Updated 9/3/15)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":p5mjdkb5 said:
kearly":p5mjdkb5 said:
hawknation2015":p5mjdkb5 said:
It really depends on the jury, but the standard is the standard. A criminal defendant can also waive his right to a jury trial in favor of a bench trial if he wanted to . . . the Seventh Amendment also guarantees the right to a jury trial in federal civil cases with remedies under the common law, and most states guarantee a jury trial in some civil cases.

All that said, it would be a little tough to convict Brady under a beyond a reasonable doubt standard. There is nothing right now directly trying him to the deflation. There are the suspicious text messages related to autographed memorabilia. There are the suspicious number of phone calls between Brady and the equipment manager. There are the suspicious explanations for the text messages from those staff members. There are Brady's suspicious explanations during his press conference. And there is the suspicious destruction of his cell phone. That is enough for reasonable suspicion, but I am not so sure there would be a clear absence of "reasonable doubt."

Under the much lower civil standard, however, I don't think there is any question that it is more likely than not that Brady was involved in the cheating. The evidence points in that direction.

Fair points. The sad thing is, that's exactly what the Wells report concluded. The judge overturned it anyway even though the report was completely reasonable.

Reasonable? Here's one of those "reasonable" statements from the Wells report:

"our scientific consultants informed us that the data alone did not provide a basis for them to determine with absolute certainty whether there was or was not tampering, as the analysis of such data is ultimately dependent upon assumptions and information that is uncertain."

So that is saying that it's a coin flip whether ANY tampering occurred, as opposed to just natural deflation at work.

Also, if Wells accepted Walt Anderson's testimony about which gauge he used to measure balls pre-game, this prosecution would have had to stop right there, as the readings from that gauge exonerated NE. However, he chose to go with the reading of the other gauge which Anderson recalled NOT using and which measured .4 psi higher, putting NE slightly in the red zone so to speak. Wells provides no justification for why he did this.

So that is saying that he intentionally used the wrong readings in order to further his prosecution.

Just wondering if the definition of reasonable is a little different in the great Northwest.
I wish you were around here when the Aaron Hernadez murder trial was going on. Your spin of his innocence had to be EPIC!

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Laloosh":37cn5zw1 said:
50yrpatsfan":37cn5zw1 said:
"our scientific consultants informed us that the data alone did not provide a basis for them to determine with absolute certainty whether there was or was not tampering, as the analysis of such data is ultimately dependent upon assumptions and information that is uncertain."

So that is saying that it's a coin flip whether ANY tampering occurred, as opposed to just natural deflation at work.

Uncertain does not equal "coin flip". It means, not certain. If I am 80% certain, I am not 100% certain but I am still a hell of a lot more certain than 50%, which would equate to a coin flip, no?

Depends upon if it is a 2 headed coin....then the alternative is a coin that ends up on its side???

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
Laloosh":9r8bfg2u said:
50yrpatsfan":9r8bfg2u said:

Uncertain does not equal "coin flip". It means, not certain. If I am 80% certain, I am not 100% certain but I am still a hell of a lot more certain than 50%, which would equate to a coin flip, no?

In the context of a prosecution, it's plenty for a judge to throw out the case. Together with the 2 gauges, the NFL should have dropped this like a hot potato. Not just a little doubt, not just reasonable doubt, but so much doubt that anything ever happened.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":1ohohaig said:
Laloosh":1ohohaig said:
50yrpatsfan":1ohohaig said:

Depends upon if it is a 2 headed coin....then the alternative is a coin that ends up on its side???

Got me there... damn.

Laloosh

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":1ouns2bv said:
In the context of a prosecution, it's plenty for a judge to throw out the case. Together with the 2 gauges, the NFL should have dropped this like a hot potato. Not just a little doubt, not just reasonable doubt, but so much doubt that anything ever happened.

Look bud, I don't even care if Tawwmee gets punished. I wasn't one of the people who were upset by it. I literally have zero desire to see it go one way or the other.

I think he's full of it and I think you're so in love with your boy that you can't see straight. This wasn't a criminal trial.

Don't care if he walks, don't care if he's voted into the HOF. Saw his presser, thought "okay, he's full of it. moving on..."

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
kearly":1243j162 said:
Cartire":1243j162 said:
My next question would be... Who would you prefer to take the mantle of one of the most lucrative positions in the industry. Driving a game that has, (maybe naturally), grown by leaps and bounds over the last decade. For as much BS as Goodell spews, he has one of the most difficult jobs, and not just anyone can step in and keep it running at its current rpm.

I would be all for a massive upgrade, but I do fear what could possibly happen. Its also a position ripe for corruption, and there are worse people out there than Goodell.

I'll admit, there is a part of me that wonders if Goodell might have a Richard Nixon type legacy that is far rosier in retrospect than at the time of his rule. As far as who might replace him, I have no idea.

Personally, I do think Goodell deserves a modicum of credit for the league's exploding popularity. He has pushed the NFL product internationally, reached out to female fans, and during his time the NFL has fully embraced fantasy football which has been a huge driver of popularity.

Can you please elaborate a bit more on the corruption angle and explain what a corrupt NFL commissioner might look like?

The NFL was already on the rise Goodell doesn't get credit for the Manning Brady Rogers era.

SEAHAWG

Reaction score
Oh the poor Pasties, having to deal with all that adversity, PPFFFFTT!

Its not adversity when you get caught cheating,AGAIN, this is not a first time offender, oh lets give them probation, this is multiple offender, drop the hammer on em, they are guilty as charged, should have been the whole season, not four games , take all their draft picks and fine them a billion dollars, and put that corrupt judge in jail......

scutterhawk

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":1h2s4vk1 said:
Laloosh":1h2s4vk1 said:
50yrpatsfan":1h2s4vk1 said:

You can spin shit all you want, but the truth is still the truth....The balls were DEFLATED to Tom "The Cheater" Brady's preference, but AGAIN, "Money Talks & Bullshit Walks"
The Cheatriots Fans don't give a shit that Tom Brady has no morals.

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3ejm2jjk said:
50yrpatsfan":3ejm2jjk said:
Laloosh":3ejm2jjk said:
50yrpatsfan":3ejm2jjk said:

You can spin shit all you want, but the truth is still the truth....The balls were DEFLATED to Tom "The Cheater" Brady's preference, but AGAIN, "Money Talks & Bullshit Walks"

that quote from the top is directly from the Wells report, the basis of their case against Brady. Sorry to ruin your rant.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":l8w4uma8 said:
scutterhawk":l8w4uma8 said:
50yrpatsfan":l8w4uma8 said:
Laloosh":l8w4uma8 said:

that quote from the top is directly from the Wells report, the basis of their case against Brady. Sorry to ruin your rant.
You need to face the fact that Shady Brady and your cheatriots are wicked cheatahhhhs!