2nd Annual "You're the GM" Edition! (OP UPDATED 03-04-2019)

John63

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":i4ot7o31 said:
John63":i4ot7o31 said:
Okay and if Murray is a bust then we suck, so you want to do this taking a chance on an unknown over a known. HMMM

Ok a few things:

1. Not taking Murray doesn't improve our chances at avoiding a bust. You can bust at any position. Even DT (2017) or RB (2018)

2. You presume that taking Murray requires we get rid of Russell. That's untrue. Having Russell means you have the luxury of taking (and busting) on a QB with no impact at all. Outside of the busted pick. Which Seattle has established they are prone to do like 4 of the last 5 years.

3. QBs are coming into this league more prepared than ever to start and succeed straight away. This has been going on for quite some time now. Opinions on QB risk tend to be hardened depending on when someone started following the sport rigorously. It's very common to see general opinion (and anxiety) revolving around 90s/00s results of how risky and poor QB development translated to NFL success.

But this game has evolved. From pee wee on up. QBs that enter this league now, have been taught better. And regimes in the high school (and preceding that) throw vastly more often than they did when it was all about the running back. The QB stable at UW has players that passed far more than they ran almost all the way through the ranks (maybe Yankoff excepted?). Good college QBs have already been throwing and learning at a ridiculously expedited rate. There are more good QBs now in college. And they come even further prepared into the NFL.

Additionally, the NFL has also adapted. Softened the transition on purpose. Tailoring offenses to be more familiar with new QBs. Instead of forcing a round rookie QB peg into a square, rigid, intractable offense -- they work with their existing knowledge base better and smooth the learning curve over time.

So QBs aren't nearly the risk that our common tribal knowledge tends to expect. In every draft it seems there are 2-4 QBs capable of taking their teams to the playoffs. Or able to vie for conference championships during their rookie contract. Remember when Wilson was such an outlier (team with a rookie deal QB in the playoffs) that it was actually a thing that the national narrative picked up? Now there are like 5-6 teams in the playoffs with QBs on rookie deals. It's not only not rare anymore. It's commonplace and likely to accelerate.

John63":i4ot7o31 said:
Let me spell this out

With Wilson, we know we are in the hunt every year. Without Wilson, we need to HOPE we can put together a top 5 Defense, keep a top 5 run game and hope Murray Turns into at least an above avg QB. that's a lot of hopping over a known.

Well spelled out. Let's read between the lines some then.

With Wilson (at his current salary), the only hope to put together a top 5 defense is to limit your number of 5M+ contracts on the defensive side to no more than 3. And no 10M+ contracts. Has to be smaller. That'd mean no earl. No Wagner. No Clark. Reed has to go after this year. And of course no LOB either except in their rookie deal incarnation.

At his expected price in 2019, that restriction draws much tighter.

Additionally, you are grossly limited in how you allocate to offense as well. You can't really afford more than 35M+ in your OL spend. You have to have good/not great talent there. And it goes without saying you're going to have rookie deal RBs. Also, you will need to be judicious in WR spend. Baldwin is too expensive if you're trying to have a top 5 rushing attack.

You can do it the Patriots way. But to do so means to not only not pay your guys. But you have to play the Comp pick game every year. Add street UFAs only. And trade away top talents at the ends of their rookie deals a year early to recoup picks. And of course kill it on the development end.

The reality is, Seattle (and by that I mean Pete), wants a top 5 rushing attack and top 5 defense by design. However paying 20M (or 35M) for a QB makes that task virtually impossible without some radical steps made. It would have to be far more radical than what NE does because Brady takes a massive discount to stick with the team.

Seattle hasn't shown the ability to manage the other 52 players on the team in such a way as to allow for a top market QB. Which is particularly difficult since Seattle doesn't both pay and rely on it's franchise quality (and paid) QB to win games. It's a paradigm mismatch that ultimately serves to impede itself.

If one presumes that Pete is going to be around for the next three years. Then one has to concede his brand of winning. And how does that possibility look when one has a huge cap crater at QB. I assume that Pete is here to stay until 2021. So I know what to expect in terms of how this club is going to be designed. It's not going to leverage Wilson's quality in full. It's going to try to run and defend and pass on occasion. And it'd going to have to do that with a huge disparity in cap space and high attrition rates for top shelf talent elsewhere.

It's a constipated effort by design. It seems less risky to add a rookie QB. If he shows he's capable of not losing games while throwing 25 times or less -- then you have the scenario where you have:

Wilson and whatever we pick this year

v.

Rookie QB, 30M+ to spend on the rest of your team, and at least a couple spare 1st round picks that we'll undoubtedly turn into 4-5 day two picks. That's basically a rookie QB, 2 top tier defensive stars and likely 3 other starters. That is not insignificant.

I'm not a fan of losing Wilson. But I also concede that the way Pete wants to build the team is largely incompatible with the cost of keeping Wilson. They are two dynamics competing against one another. And the only break in the impasse is for either Wilson's contract or Pete's team design to leave.

okay I chose not to read this because you obviously did not catch where the OP that said get Murray said get rid of Wilson. So that made alot of your post moot. Also for every QB coming in who you say is better qialified there are 5-10 that dont work. So it is still a HUGE GAMBLE.

John63

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":3h5whbsm said:
Ambrose83":3h5whbsm said:
ImTheScientist":3h5whbsm said:
Uncle Si":3h5whbsm said:
You want murray to replace RW in 2021?

Yes. That way we are not strapped the 30mil Russ will cost. We would have a QB on a rookie contract for 2-3 years letting us build a better team. Not many teams in the last 15 years have won paying their QB top 5 money. Im a HUGE Wilson supporter but I question the price tag and how it handicaps a team.

You want,to,trade a top 5, first ballot hof qb in,his prime for a scrawny dude who will get killed getting hit in the NFL and who doesn't even have 20 starts in college ? Thank God you don't run this team .

Yes....but you are not including the part about the ~$30 mill we could spend on other players making the team better for 3-4 years. Thats the biggest part of it. Packers drafted Rodgers when Favre was in his prime, Niners switched to Young when Montana was in his prime. Its not as crazy as you would think.

that's great in theory but you are assuming all those players are going to work out, and fill in, We KNOW with Wilson we are always in it. You are saying hey lets get rid of him and gamble we can do it without him and a bunch of picks that we HOPE will work out. I mean I understand it would not be your job on the line if you are wrong, and I am sure you would deny saying we should do this if we did and it failed.

I am on the fence while I think we will take a huge step back and take several years to even hope to get back to being decent. I Also would love to see Wilson someplace where they will use him right and with a fan base that appreciates him, I would just have to hope he plays great against everyone but us.

The other problem is PC is only signed for 2 more years. If decides not to stay longer you are not only starting over with a new QB that you HOPE works, but with a new HC and probably coaching staff.

But hey I get it you dont care about winning just getting rid of Wilson, got it.

Fade

Reaction score
Schotty guarantees the young QBs they bring in will suck. You need a real guru if you want to go the young QB route. The Seahawks don't have the ability to properly develop the position right now.

The good news is Pete just needs to build up the defense, and they can win a Super Bowl again.

Extend Frank Clark, re-sign Justin Coleman, re-sign Sweezy & Fluker to short term fair money contracts.

Franchise Tag Earl Thomas and trade him for a 3rd round pick. (They won't do this, but they should.)

Trey Flowers is my #1 UFA target. Put him opposite Frank Clark and Seattle's defense would transform into one of the best in the league. Consolation would be Donte Fowler on a prove it deal.

Zach Kerr is a huge 340 lb 1-tech which could allow Jarran Reed to move to 3-tech in the base which would vastly improve the run defense which is needed in a division with Shanahan & McVay. Consolation would be Brandon Mebane on a 1 yr deal.

That is really it. Get an edge rusher opposite of Frank Clark, and a big run stuffer that can play at the 1 technique. Bargain bin shopping after that. They have extensions they will need to get done with Russell Wilson, Bobby Wagner, and Jarran Reed this summer.

The Seahawks are going to address these two positions in Free Agency no doubt in my mind, and it will be interesting to see who they end up signing.

Will add on the draft portion when it is the month of April.

OP
OP
K

kf3339

Reaction score
Fade":2m343n40 said:
Schotty guarantees the young QBs they bring in will suck. You need a real guru if you want to go the young QB route. The Seahawks don't have the ability to properly develop the position right now.

The good news is Pete just needs to build up the defense, and they can win a Super Bowl again.

Extend Frank Clark, re-sign Justin Coleman, re-sign Sweezy & Fluker to short term fair money contracts.

Franchise Tag Earl Thomas and trade him for a 3rd round pick. (They won't do this, but they should.)

Trey Flowers is my #1 UFA target. Put him opposite Frank Clark and Seattle's defense would transform into one of the best in the league. Consolation would be Donte Fowler on a prove it deal.

Zach Kerr is a huge 340 lb 1-tech which could allow Jarran Reed to move to 3-tech in the base which would vastly improve the run defense which is needed in a division with Shanahan & McVay. Consolation would be Brandon Mebane on a 1 yr deal.

That is really it. Get an edge rusher opposite of Frank Clark, and a big run stuffer that can play at the 1 technique. Bargain bin shopping after that. They have extensions they will need to get done with Russell Wilson, Bobby Wagner, and Jarran Reed this summer.

The Seahawks are going to address these two positions in Free Agency no doubt in my mind, and it will be interesting to see who they end up signing.

Will add on the draft portion when it is the month of April.

I agree with a lot of this post! I like the idea of moving Reed to 3tech and getting a FA 1tech to pair along side of him. Puna Ford in time could be that guy, but if there is a top flight 1tech that isn't real expensive it make real good sense to get him.

Trey Flowers or Fowlers would be a good way to go for an opposite edge rusher and my first post gives this idea the same area of need and push in the free agent period. We have the money for both D-Line guys.

I am just really hopeful we get back both Sweezy and Flucker for at least another 2 years to maintain consistency on the O-Line. Good Job!

massari

Reaction score
Release Kam, Mingo, Ed Dickson, Jaron Brown to open up an additional $16M in cap room

Re-sign Clark, Coleman, KJ or Kendricks, Fluker, Sweezy

Sign DE Ezekiel Ansah 2 years $12M per season

Sign FS Jimmie Ward (cheap prove it deal) - can play slot as well

Trade Pocic or a mid round pick for WR John Ross or sign WR DeVante Parker (cheap prove it deal)

Draft BPA - DT Jeffery Simmons if available in the 2nd

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I might be wrong, but I suspect the Seahawks are higher on Jaron Brown than most of the fans. His run blocking is excellent and he contributed to at least a few of Chris Carson's touchdowns on the goal line. Plus, it's not like he didn't score any touchdowns himself.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
massari":37l4du9o said:
Release Kam, Mingo, Ed Dickson, Jaron Brown to open up an additional $18M in cap room

Re-sign Clark, Coleman, KJ or Kendricks, Fluker, Sweezy

Sign DE Brandon Graham to a short term deal until a young guy can step up

Sign FS Jimmie Ward (prove it deal) - can play slot as well

Sign TE Tyler Eifert (incentive based contract) and WR DeVante Parker (cheap prove it deal)

Draft BPA regardless of position
Releasing Kam does nothing but cost more.

OP
OP
K

kf3339

Reaction score
For those who may be interested I updated my original post (first in this thread with many changes). Feel free to review and comment, if interested.

I also want to give kudo's to Attila the Hawk who mentioned several of the new FA targets in his post from another thread. It gave me some interesting ideas which I researched and used in my decisions. Thank you Attila! :irishdrinkers:

Kinger95

Reaction score
Trade Clark for a 2019 2nd and a 2020 2nd. He wants to get paid and these salaries are nuts and guarantees are getting crazy. Use the 18 mill somewhere else like signing Justin Houston (guessing 10-14 mill) to a shorter contract. Giving guys 90 million over 5 years really leaves minimal space for upside from the teams perspective. Don’t mess with the comp picks. A 3rd and 4th are extremely valuable to us at this point when we need to be younger and cheaper

Largent80

Reaction score
I would trade Clark. That is going to immediately get rid of 18 mill in cap plus net a high draft pick this year and maybe next. This draft is top heavy in good D Line players. Hawks get younger and cheaper and have money to work out an RW extension.

Possibly use some of next years comp picks to trade for players in this years draft. Because as of right now the HAwks have 11 draft picks next year.

I would start there.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Largent80":1ha11ruv said:
I would trade Clark. That is going to immediately get rid of 18 mill in cap plus net a high draft pick this year and maybe next. This draft is top heavy in good D Line players. Hawks get younger and cheaper and have money to work out an RW extension.

Possibly use some of next years comp picks to trade for players in this years draft. Because as of right now the HAwks have 11 draft picks next year.

I would start there.

If Clark could net us a mid 1st, we could lock up Wilson, Wagner, and Reed. I'd be happy. I think Clark still has room to grow but is he wants 20M that's a lot for a player who in not in the same caliber as Von Miller, Mack, and Donald. He is really good but not the game wrecker those guys are.

I think $18m APY is max!

Largent80

Reaction score
EVERYONE is replaceable , save QB, so PAY the QB and work around that.

Clark?...ok decent to very good, so what? 20 Million?....

Let a group of young cheap players take his place. Maybe we take a step back, maybe not.

Largent80

Reaction score
A day later and they got it right. Keep our outstanding QB and work around it. Point #1 done.

Largent80

Reaction score
Largent80":1pnihp20 said:

Let a group of young cheap players take his place. Maybe we take a step back, maybe not.

Good Trade for Seattle.......Maybe we can nail Savage at S, or Rapp. Also we could get Harry at WR...Exciting draft now, whereas before, it was dreadful.

Largent80

Reaction score
Largent80":343akk68 said:

Good Trade for Seattle.......Maybe we can nail Savage at S, or Rapp. Also we could get Harry at WR...Exciting draft now, whereas before, it was dreadful.

Fade

Reaction score
Draft portion:

#21 Rashan Gary (Frank Clark athlete / Michael Bennett size)
#29 Darnell Savage (ET replacement) (May trade down a little bit and still get their guy.)
#92 Chase Winovich (Clay Matthews esque)

Add these guys to the core and it looks pretty good.

Bobby Wagner
Jarran Reed
Poona Ford
Rasheem Green
Jacob Martin
Trey Flowers

Need Shaq Griffin to bounce back at Corner.

getnasty

Reaction score
Fade":25w06h1p said:
Draft portion:

#21 Rashan Gary (Frank Clark athlete / Michael Bennett size)
#29 Darnell Savage (ET replacement) (May trade down a little bit and still get their guy.)
#92 Chase Winovich (Clay Matthews esque)

Add these guys to the core and it looks pretty good.

Bobby Wagner
Jarran Reed
Poona Ford
Rasheem Green
Jacob Martin
Trey Flowers

Need Shaq Griffin to bounce back at Corner.

Gary and Savage would be incredible, i could do without Winovich but those first 2 would be my wet dream.

Largent80

Reaction score
Largent80":2wkrxhyw said:

I would start there.

Pretty much nailed it.

Largent80

Reaction score
Largent80":wx15yht1 said:

I would start there.

Pretty much nailed it.

chris98251

Reaction score
Largent80":1ol2ttyy said:
Largent80":1ol2ttyy said:

I would start there.

Pretty much nailed it.

Yeah so much you patted your self on the back twice :p