Breda Report: The Vilification of Russell Wilson

AVL

Reaction score
Boo hoo. Been following Wilson since I accidentally saw him playing early at state and became a huge fan of his when he moved to Wisconsin. Then he joined social media. WTF? Anyway, I still enjoyed watching him play and decided to bandwagon a 7-9 team and its sensitive fans. All I know is if anyone tried to trade me to Cleveland (born there), I would become completely disruptive. Wilson is a strange dude, but that's not news.

SuperSonic67

Reaction score
Boo hoo. Been following Wilson since I accidentally saw him playing early at state and became a huge fan of his when he moved to Wisconsin. Then he joined social media. WTF? Anyway, I still enjoyed watching him play and decided to bandwagon a 7-9 team and its sensitive fans. All I know is if anyone tried to trade me to Cleveland (born there), I would become completely disruptive. Wilson is a strange dude, but that's not news.
Huh???

jammerhawk

Reaction score
A few random thoughts:
  1. Wilson was a Hawaii shirts wearing dude in his first 3 years, he wasn't in his last three.
  2. Wilson was a buying gift to OL guy initially, he threw OL under the bus in his later years.
  3. Wilson was a Pete guy as Pete protected him from LOB, he wanted to get Pete fired before he was traded.
  4. Wilson was accused of not being black enough during LOB years, no one accused him of that in his later years.
In short, Wilson evolved, as one would with age and wealth.
My friend, you nailed it!!!

Reality as well is he started to believe his press clippings and became that confusing enigma of Mr. Unlimited. Thing is he was revealed therein, and was far from being just that.

Reality as well is, he is a phony, and all his social pretence was just that all designed instead of for legit and prosocial reasons was to bolster his image and that started to become obvious and disturbing as he was just not who we thought he was and truly was a caricature of a good man and a good team player. The phony was showing through.

To me it was through those and many more contradictions that revealed his true nature.

I still have his jersey and a painting I paid real $ for that frankly are now worthless to me as he went from ‘My Quarterback’ to a player I was happy to see gone. Happily Denver got sucked in and is now and will and has paid for that mistake.

JS needed to win that debate with PC when the team was looking to draft Allen or Mahomes had that happened, Pete might have been able to actually go out a winner.

In the end when he played within his system he was a good but not great QB. All this talk of the HOF is a joke. He’s just not a HOF QB. He is on thin ice now and close to being out of the league if he can’t revive his career. I think he has lost some of his physicality that made it possible and he isn’t that QB any longer.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
It's simply not my reality where Russell Wilson wasn't a great quarterback, but Rashad Penny's time with the Seahawks deserves such glowing comments....they say that memory is a tricky thing....

jammerhawk

Reaction score
You'd expect a young QB with all the support in the world to be great as he was at times early in his career. Wilson however began to believes in his press clippings and the image he wished to create and slowly began to think he was better than his coaches. I think Wilson could still be a good QB if he were to tone down his ego and accept that he really is somewhat of a game manager who can throw a pretty deep pass. He's been shown to not really be that great.

Penny OTOH has real talent but has never been able to stay healthy enough to show it. His worst ability is his unavailability. For the team it got snakebite on that pick as Penny was never injured or missed time in college, but couldn't stay on the field as a pro. I'm unsure if wasting a roster spot on him is a great idea as he will inevitably get hurt and again be unavailable.

evergreen

Reaction score
It's so bizarre how far he has fallen. He was #2/100 NFL behind LaMar, one year. It was reasonable before Mahomes, that only Erin was better, during Brady's second four SBs. That is beyond compare. But go back and look closely, and you'll see a lot of regular season heroics, with hardly none in the playoffs. Our D beat Denver 9-8 in the Super Bowl.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
Russ was fun to root for when he was a scrappy underdog. As a self-anointed elitist? Not so much. It's been a while since I've believed in him. But being honest, and probably going against the grain...Well, I'm just going to say it, The Russ Wilson I recently witnessed in that work-out video he released: Wow.

If both men were in this draft, and the Bears loving Caleb Williams at 1, how could they not love Wilson? Of course, that was just a work-out video, but he made throws with zip and precision that I've never seen from Williams. And never will see from Williams. I've called Williams a poor man's version of Wilson in the past and I stand by that.

As phony as he may be, Russ does present himself pretty well (if you can blank out "Let's ride", Subway sandwiches and his and hers matching Gucci). In my eyes, Williams is just absolutely unlikable. Wilson at least had the sense to market himself as a pleasant being. Again, strictly based on that video and what appeared to be a determined and re-re-invented Russ Wilson, with all thing$ being equal, I'd take him over Caleb Williams. IF not for being a Steeler, I'd be rooting for Russ the underdog again. I'll never root for Caleb Williams (but I will root for Rome Odunze).

toffee

Reaction score
Russ was fun to root for when he was a scrappy underdog. As a self-anointed elitist? Not so much. It's been a while since I've believed in him. But being honest, and probably going against the grain...Well, I'm just going to say it, The Russ Wilson I recently witnessed in that work-out video he released: Wow.

If both men were in this draft, and the Bears loving Caleb Williams at 1, how could they not love Wilson? Of course, that was just a work-out video, but he made throws with zip and precision that I've never seen from Williams. And never will see from Williams. I've called Williams a poor man's version of Wilson in the past and I stand by that.

As phony as he may be, Russ does present himself pretty well (if you can blank out "Let's ride", Subway sandwiches and his and hers matching Gucci). In my eyes, Williams is just absolutely unlikable. Wilson at least had the sense to market himself as a pleasant being. Again, strictly based on that video and what appeared to be a determined and re-re-invented Russ Wilson, with all thing$ being equal, I'd take him over Caleb Williams. IF not for being a Steeler, I'd be rooting for Russ the underdog again. I'll never root for Caleb Williams (but I will root for Rome Odunze).
Caleb with his punchable face and less self awareness than Russell, will be football fans' most favorable punch bag for years to come.

chris98251

Reaction score
Jeff George and Matt Lienhart combined. It took falling from grace and lucky to have a job for George to become humble, he actually helped a few of our QB's, Lienhart was supposed to be a cant miss prospect who was Ryan Leaf without the legal issues.

Scout

Reaction score
The Steelers draft went heavy with OL and added a very talented Roman Wilson who was great value where he was drafted. On defense Payton Wilson, Ryan Watts, and Logan Lee were also great values in later rounds for their defense.

Wilson is walking into a situation where Arthur Smith can use Wilson on boot legs and roll outs out of double TE sets to really set the tone.

toffee

Reaction score
The Steelers draft went heavy with OL and added a very talented Roman Wilson who was great value where he was drafted. On defense Payton Wilson, Ryan Watts, and Logan Lee were also great values in later rounds for their defense.

Wilson is walking into a situation where Arthur Smith can use Wilson on boot legs and roll outs out of double TE sets to really set the tone.
Ode to Steelers OL, you will be blocking for Russell Wilson, your stats shall suck.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
You think Denver fans were bad when they turned on Wilson? Wait until he sucks in Pittsburgh and see what those fans are capable of doing. Dude is another year older and another year slower. HIS game relies on fresh legs and speed. He doesn't have that anymore. Denver is paying $85 million to get rid of him. You think Tomlin knows more about QBs than Payton?

RiverDog

Reaction score
I was looking up how the Steelers OL compared to Denver's in pass protection, and I stumbled upon this link. Has anyone else seen this site and if so, do you have any comments about it? I've never seen it before.

ccla

Reaction score
I was looking up how the Steelers OL compared to Denver's in pass protection, and I stumbled upon this link. Has anyone else seen this site and if so, do you have any comments about it? I've never seen it before.

Ouch?

Latest posts