Browner Files Second Appeal

Killa Kam

Reaction score
HansGruber":16ff8mnw said:
dradee":16ff8mnw said:
This is BB`s first time offense for non-ped`s and should have been treated as such. Why the NFL escalated him to stage 3 is the question for the court and in escalating him to stage 3 the NFL has damaged BB in a few ways, stopped his wage earning, ruined his reputation not to mention the undo stress etc....

Not the right way to treat an employee.

No it's his second time. He had a dirty test in Denver in 2005. That put him in Stage 2.

Then he got cut, went to the CFL and missed a mandatory test which put him in Stage 3.

His argument is that he shouldn't have been escalated from Stage 2 to 3 when not employed by the NFL, and that's where he might have a valid claim. Nobody knows what would happen in court, but it's possible he could win. That's what gave him leverage in the first appeal and why the NFL offered a lower suspension.

One of Browner's family members is saying he wants the suspension dropped completely, which is stupid because he still failed a second test under the CBA, which requires a 4-game suspension.

And that's where we stand now. BB has his second appeal in a week(?), but is suspended indefinitely until then.

The NFL actually did the Seahawks a favor with that move. It's possible that his suspension could be reduced to 4 games in the second appeal, which would make him available for the SuperBowl.

I could be wrong but Im pretty sure I read that this was his first failed weed test, do you have a link to where you read that he failed a test while in Denver?

OP
OP
HawKnPeppa

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Killa Kam":xf2iy8ag said:
HansGruber":xf2iy8ag said:
dradee":xf2iy8ag said:
This is BB`s first time offense for non-ped`s and should have been treated as such. Why the NFL escalated him to stage 3 is the question for the court and in escalating him to stage 3 the NFL has damaged BB in a few ways, stopped his wage earning, ruined his reputation not to mention the undo stress etc....

No it's his second time. He had a dirty test in Denver in 2005. That put him in Stage 2.

Then he got cut, went to the CFL and missed a mandatory test which put him in Stage 3.

His argument is that he shouldn't have been escalated from Stage 2 to 3 when not employed by the NFL, and that's where he might have a valid claim. Nobody knows what would happen in court, but it's possible he could win. That's what gave him leverage in the first appeal and why the NFL offered a lower suspension.

One of Browner's family members is saying he wants the suspension dropped completely, which is stupid because he still failed a second test under the CBA, which requires a 4-game suspension.

And that's where we stand now. BB has his second appeal in a week(?), but is suspended indefinitely until then.

The NFL actually did the Seahawks a favor with that move. It's possible that his suspension could be reduced to 4 games in the second appeal, which would make him available for the SuperBowl.

I could be wrong but Im pretty sure I read that this was his first failed weed test, do you have a link to where you read that he failed a test while in Denver?

You can find plenty of links to back it up. Google is your friend.

sandman

Reaction score
There were so many replies that I skipped most so this might be a redundant response.

I watch all of the games but I want to discuss the first few games before Browner was injured and then suspended. No doubt, the guy is an excellent CB but I watched some of the replays live and noticed he was playing flat footed. I know there are those of my fellow hawk fans that would disagree. If you have a chance, look at some of the earlier games and notice he was almost ready to salute the receiver.

I know his value as a CB, but when he continued to be called for silly penalties (bad refs) and then I saw him being beaten time and time again, I thought, what happened to his speed. Was he worried about getting called for a penalty?

Bring in Maxwell and I need not say any more. The seahawk depth is scary. Browner went from no. 1 to no. 'maybe' when his contract ends. Keep Maxwell in. I am so tired of these off the field antics. I do not care if MJ is legal in the state. The contract says, paraphrased "don't smoke pot". Pass on Grass whether you play on turf of not. And, it might not say it, but do not stand with you feet planted firmly in the turf while a receiver blows by you.

OP
OP
HawKnPeppa

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
sandman":2q415t86 said:
There were so many replies that I skipped most so this might be a redundant response.

I watch all of the games but I want to discuss the first few games before Browner was injured and then suspended. No doubt, the guy is an excellent CB but I watched some of the replays live and noticed he was playing flat footed. I know there are those of my fellow hawk fans that would disagree. If you have a chance, look at some of the earlier games and notice he was almost ready to salute the receiver.

I know his value as a CB, but when he continued to be called for silly penalties (bad refs) and then I saw him being beaten time and time again, I thought, what happened to his speed. Was he worried about getting called for a penalty?

Bring in Maxwell and I need not say any more. The seahawk depth is scary. Browner went from no. 1 to no. 'maybe' when his contract ends. Keep Maxwell in. I am so tired of these off the field antics. I do not care if MJ is legal in the state. The contract says, paraphrased "don't smoke pot". Pass on Grass whether you play on turf of not. And, it might not say it, but do not stand with you feet planted firmly in the turf while a receiver blows by you.

I can't really address the soapbox side of this, but, as far as being 'flat-footed' and getting beat, yes, he was especially vulnerable to the smaller, more shifty/quick WR's. Even somebody who was bigger but still had that shifty factor was a handful for him (Andre Johnson, etc). What he excelled at was taking on the larger, slower WR's that use physicality and body positioning to make plays ala Anquan Boldin. Browner was the missing ingredient at Candlestick. If he had played, Boldin would have had more like 20yds instead of 90+. I'm not arguing the points you made, but he's money in specific matchups. He's also a beast against screen plays and the run. The BOOM in LOB will be less loud with him gone.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
HansGruber":3nm31lpc said:
dradee":3nm31lpc said:

From what I understand, it takes 3 positive tests to gain a 4 game suspension. And, if a player is in stage 1 or 2, if they stay clean for 2 years they are out of the drug program and it all resets. Seeing as this is Browner's 3rd year, he would have hit the reset. Thus his desire to have no suspension.

Killa Kam

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":3vx4fxk4 said:
Killa Kam":3vx4fxk4 said:

I have read and googled plenty on this and can't find it anywhere, hence why i asked for a source. This article by Jason La Canfora mentions nothing about him failing a test in Denver, he was advanced to stage 3 because of his missed tests while in Canada, not a failed test in Denver. Which makes HansGruber's statement that it was his second failed test wrong

Browner was advanced to Stage 3 of the program for “failure to cooperate,” according to a source with knowledge of the situation, for missing a series of drug tests back in 2006 and 2007, when he was in fact out of the league. Sources say Browner claimed he never received any letters notifying him of the missed tests, and, was unaware that he was responsible to continue taking drug tests long after being released by the Broncos and through his time in CFL.

Browner was unaware of the requests for further tests, but it was those missed tests that advanced him deep into the program to the point where he was facing more lengthy suspensions. Browner faced a four-game suspension back in 2007 (he was released by Denver in July of 2006) but many of the letters and other communication were sent to an old address of a former girlfriend.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas ... suspension

HansGruber

Reaction score
Wrong. It is his second failed test. There are countless links to articles confirming that on Google. Here's one:

http://nfl.si.com/2013/12/18/seattle-se ... ug-policy/

The NFL drug program does not "reset." A violation of the program results in placement in Stage 2, which requires a 4-game suspension and escalation to Stage 3 for any subsequent violation.

Killa Kam

Reaction score
HansGruber":rm46kdqi said:
Wrong. It is his second failed test. There are countless links to articles confirming that on Google. Here's one:

The NFL drug program does not "reset." A violation of the program results in placement in Stage 2, which requires a 4-game suspension and escalation to Stage 3 for any subsequent violation.
I stand corrected, my bad

StoneCold

Reaction score
Killa Kam":3bjepl6d said:
HawKnPeppa":3bjepl6d said:
Killa Kam":3bjepl6d said:

I have read and googled plenty on this and can't find it anywhere, hence why i asked for a source. This article by Jason La Canfora mentions nothing about him failing a test in Denver, he was advanced to stage 3 because of his missed tests while in Canada, not a failed test in Denver. Which makes HansGruber's statement that it was his second failed test wrong

Browner was advanced to Stage 3 of the program for “failure to cooperate,” according to a source with knowledge of the situation, for missing a series of drug tests back in 2006 and 2007, when he was in fact out of the league. Sources say Browner claimed he never received any letters notifying him of the missed tests, and, was unaware that he was responsible to continue taking drug tests long after being released by the Broncos and through his time in CFL.

Browner was unaware of the requests for further tests, but it was those missed tests that advanced him deep into the program to the point where he was facing more lengthy suspensions. Browner faced a four-game suspension back in 2007 (he was released by Denver in July of 2006) but many of the letters and other communication were sent to an old address of a former girlfriend.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas ... suspension

I can't find the link, but one of the stories I read was that Browner voluntarily went into the program before he was drafted by Denver because he had issues during college. Depending on which story is correct, which none of us can know at this point, it could be his first failed NFL Program test.

SC

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
HansGruber":1g8xl8xo said:

I'm no expert in the NFL's effed up HR policies, but Jason La Canfora disagrees with the second part of your statement.
Jason La Canfora":1g8xl8xo said:
However, had he not been escalated to Stage 3 for his missed tests when out of the NFL -- if he was in Stage 2, for instance -- two years of clean tests would have be enough to get him out of the program entirely.
Also, I'm not sure that we are certain enough about the alleged positive test with the Broncos to use the flat, declarative statements so favored on the internet. Farrar's claim appears unsourced in the link provided. Other articles use the "widely reported" dodge. In fact, though "Google is my friend", I don't find any sourced claim that there was a positive test with Denver. We are only certain that Browner was in the program, whether via positive test, missed test or self-referral.

The best overview of the the different stages of the NFL's policy I ran into is here. If you believe this source, the quoted post's claim about Stage 2 of the policy is inaccurate.

gargantual

Reaction score
Something I haven't heard being weighed in on is the conflict of interest aspect of the situation. You'd think the insider information that keeps getting leaked would be driving the NFLPA bonkers. Why isn't that happening?

Or for that matter why aren't the rival media outlets (CNN, Sports Illustrated, etc) screaming "unfair advantage" all over the place? Did they do that when the NFL Network was first formed, or were they afraid to piss the NFL off or somethng?

Latest posts